• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Barefoot Footprint 01 Review (Studio Monitor)

billiamg

I’m new to the forum and a bit unclear on the takeaways from the Footprint 01 review. It is a near field that did not do so well when used as a far field, and then seemed to do well when placed in the near field. Can anyone clarify/summarize where the current thinking has landed on these?
I have Hedd Type 07 mk2’s and am considering adding their sub, going with Neumann KH310’s, or the Footprint 02 actually, because I am in a 12x14 foot room. I do have GIK traps and first reflection treatment and make drum and bass so the Footprint 02’s are tempting me for their low end.
I am demoing the KH 310 right now and they are interesting because most things sound good on my Hedd’s whereas the Neumann’s definitely sound not so great on certain tracks, a few classic Dr. Dre songs had snares/claps that sounded overly bright/wrong. I want a monitor that shows mistakes so maybe that’s a good thing or maybe they aren’t working well in my room. Some tracks have real nice bass on the 310’s and likewise, with others I struggle to feel the bass. Maybe these are very good for spotting flaws, whereas the Hedd’s may be more flattering to everything.
What would people here say about just adding the Hedd sub to my system, vs the 310’s, vs the Footprint 02’s given my need for low bass but also wondering if a dedicated three way would be more cohesive?
I am in a very similar situation as you and am also curious. I have just recently upgraded my studio with proper acoustic treatment (thanks GIK!), and am now looking to spend around $5k on new monitors. I also produce electronic music (love dnb, by the way) and the Footprint's are quite attractive in that they seem to be well suited for reference as well as casual listening. However, at this price point, I value absolute honesty over 'fun'; with this, my eyes (ears) are also set on the KH310's. Currently I have a pair of HS8's + their sub, so this will certainly be a major upgrade. I see many, many producers utilizing the Footprint's, though, and seem to be loving them.

The Footprint02's do not offer quite as much range in low end response as the 01's, is there a reason you considered them over the 01's?

Katji

Major Contributor
:D hahahah The Panther showing his foot. :)

Dolomick

I am in a very similar situation as you and am also curious. I have just recently upgraded my studio with proper acoustic treatment (thanks GIK!), and am now looking to spend around $5k on new monitors. I also produce electronic music (love dnb, by the way) and the Footprint's are quite attractive in that they seem to be well suited for reference as well as casual listening. However, at this price point, I value absolute honesty over 'fun'; with this, my eyes (ears) are also set on the KH310's. Currently I have a pair of HS8's + their sub, so this will certainly be a major upgrade. I see many, many producers utilizing the Footprint's, though, and seem to be loving them.

The Footprint02's do not offer quite as much range in low end response as the 01's, is there a reason you considered them over the 01's?
I heard the 01’s and the bass was insane and did not sound balanced to me, sounded like the lower mids were lacking and it didn’t sound cohesive like the 02’s did. Vintage King salesman and others have said they think the 02’s are voiced better. Supposedly same bass frequency response between the 01 and 02, so for my 12x14’ room the 02’s would be plenty of bass.

Dolomick

yea, that's what I mean, even famous songs can have mixing errors as no tools/ human is perfect, but somehow I feel that upon a certain level of engineering, most respected monitor vendor's product are more similar than different, so somehow changing from A to B likely is more about gear acquisition syndrome than factual upgrade, especially considering the built in/ easy to use EQ and correction available nowadays
Normally I would agree about GAS, but in my case my other monitor’s dsp just died after 13 months, and as a result I don’t trust the brand. Also, I have always needed a bit more bass from my current speakers anyway, the car test is still revealing to me and I would like to speed up my process. One thing I like about the Neumann’s is that they are all analog, no DSP in the 310’s!

EDIT- to clarify, my previous monitor that had a DSP unit die was not a Barefoot.

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I was hoping that there would be more follow ups from the company post my conference call. Alas, there has not been. The issue was one of calibration in the factory. They were doing so to the wrong measurements and hence the issues we saw. It was very fixable with the right reference to program into every speaker.

Dolomick

I was hoping that there would be more follow ups from the company post my conference call. Alas, there has not been. The issue was one of calibration in the factory. They were doing so to the wrong measurements and hence the issues we saw. It was very fixable with the right reference to program into every speaker.
I would love an 02 or even an update to the Footprint 01 test, should the opportunity ever present itself. The 02's are very attractively priced, especially used.

YSC

Major Contributor
but that also means we don't know how many units have got this way unnoticed. the deviation is not as severe as very clearly audible but and ppl tend to believe in factory calibration quite a bit

dmbandtimmy

I may be in the minority, but I love the look of these speakers and their mm26/27. I was between the 02’s and the the much higher priced ATC scm25a’s. I found a killer deal for a new pair of 01’s so I bit.

These things sound so awesome. They can get super loud and they maintain clarity. I’m no pro, but I don’t find them lacking in the mids. The bass does seem heavy at times, but I love it. I too heard that people were claiming the 02’s were more balanced. It would make some sense since they did come out 3 years later. I’m still wondering if I should have sprung for the ATCs, but so far I’ve been extremely happy. ATC is a stellar company.

I am disappointed that after the conference call they didn’t get back to you. They seem like a great company. As a business owner myself, I strive for perfection in everything I do. Just listening to Thomas talk, I feel like he is the same. I did purchase the soundworks reference ID, but I’m waiting on my GIK room treatment to arrive before I calibrate. I haven’t read what the forum thinks of the sound reference.

Gates

Hallo totally noob here, im gonna revise this tread for a brief moment,
iv been eyeing the Barefoots for some time, never had the cash, but I like to just read everything, and watch alot of interviews.

I have some findings I never seen other talk upon.

barefoot uses HIFI amps for normal stereo setups ~modified~ as active amps in their past range, I dono what they do now,
but im guessing myself its a very similar process as they are really a parts picker and combiner, more than a speaker company.
they guy him self Thomas have said in multiple interviews he was just a DIY guy that transitioned into a brand.

Also he showed in an interview that they test speakers in their warehouse by lifting them up in like 8+ meters inside the warehouse, he said that was. the same as a the chamber other s used but didn't cost 1 million $

I would not be supricced if the barefoot 01 had a SMSL 200 kit type amp inside with some extra bells, maby another Extra PCB made to add a little more power.
the 02 idk properly even more refined, I dont think it uses a hyperx amp as they cost min 1500 right, prob 1000 if a company, they would eat too much cost.

I have googled and re googled I cant find. ANY shots of a open BAREfoot speaker from any ppl other then Thomas himself in his own interviews or not any taredown reviews videos either, I find that super Odd, very strange, no-one want to show inside or maby they got removed with google strikes.

I got some images you can look at, some of the only ones I myself could find, as I wanted to know how they worked.

this images are basically how barefoot handle to make this active speakers with amps in the early days , im pretty sure its the same method now just more refined.
as himself said they could not handle making it themselves and having someone make them for them would also be very costly, was what he said.

as you can see how they modified the Bryston 2b stp amp into the back of the barefoot I think its a 2 x250w mono / stereo one idk im not expert tho with tweeter mid on one and the sub s on the other output with a passive crossover on the tweeter and mid at 250hz , (that sound familiar right) , subs they are in parallel or linked, properly some more trickery didn't mention , with a add-on PCB onto the Bryston amp made from a online retailer, and a new faceplate with the model name and knobs and plugs wired to the added PCB they made online modified onto the amp so they could control from the top side/lid of the amp. instead of the front.

and look at the method to make housing for the mids, simply PCB tube and or the white one, as the tubes got discontinued they used the white ones instead with a lid on the end. and the ring tighter to fuse the subs together as also just a off the shelve item, they now have custom bracket I seen, but its the same concept just metal to tighten the end together.

so im no expert, but im guessing that why ppl love the sound so much, the Bryston amp inside is the Big factor.
plus that's problem also why the price also sky-high for some of the models, im guessing the 3k ones uses some low-end amps modified, tho like I said, maby the SMSL kit modified or some newer low end hifi amp again with modified PCB add-on why ruin a formulae that works right., hyperx amp cost too much same for ncore ithink for the footprints 01 and 02, but I could be wrong. on the bigger models im very confident its still Bryston amps inside, he said himself they had a deal where he could drill holes ect, and the garrentee would still be in place, and Bryston have a 20 year warranty seems like a win win to me.

if anyone have more shot of inside or know about amps used in other models, please make a post. btw the pictures are of the MM12

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-06-10 at 15.41.18.png
    Screenshot 2023-06-10 at 15.41.18.png
    624.9 KB · Views: 80
  • Screenshot 2023-06-10 at 15.42.20.png
    Screenshot 2023-06-10 at 15.42.20.png
    726.2 KB · Views: 74
  • Screenshot 2023-06-10 at 15.44.40.png
    Screenshot 2023-06-10 at 15.44.40.png
    637.9 KB · Views: 75
  • Screenshot 2023-06-10 at 15.54.12.png
    Screenshot 2023-06-10 at 15.54.12.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 66
Last edited:

dfuller

Major Contributor
Hallo totally noob here, im gonna revise this tread for a brief moment,
iv been eyeing the Barefoots for some time, never had the cash, but I like to just read everything, and watch alot of interviews.

I have some findings I never seen other talk upon.

barefoot uses HIFI amps for normal stereo setups ~modified~ as active amps in their past range, I dono what they do now,
but im guessing myself its a very similar process as they are really a parts picker and combiner, more than a speaker company.
they guy him self Thomas have said in multiple interviews he was just a DIY guy that transitioned into a brand.

Also he showed in an interview that they test speakers in their warehouse by lifting them up in like 8+ meters inside the warehouse, he said that was. the same as a the chamber other s used but didn't cost 1 million $

I would not be supricced if the barefoot 01 had a SMSL 200 kit type amp inside with some extra bells, maby another Extra PCB made to add a little more power.
the 02 idk properly even more refined, I dont think it uses a hyperx amp as they cost min 1500 right, prob 1000 if a company, they would eat too much cost.

I have googled and re googled I cant find. ANY shots of a open BAREfoot speaker from any ppl other then Thomas himself in his own interviews or not any taredown reviews videos either, I find that super Odd, very strange, no-one want to show inside or maby they got removed with google strikes.

I got some images you can look at, some of the only ones I myself could find, as I wanted to know how they worked.

this images are basically how barefoot handle to make this active speakers with amps in the early days , im pretty sure its the same method now just more refined.
as himself said they could not handle making it themselves and having someone make them for them would also be very costly, was what he said.

as you can see how they modified the Bryston 2b stp amp into the back of the barefoot I think its a 2 x250w mono / stereo one idk im not expert tho with tweeter mid on one and the sub s on the other output with a passive crossover on the tweeter and mid at 250hz , (that sound familiar right) , subs they are in parallel or linked, properly some more trickery didn't mention , with a add-on PCB onto the Bryston amp made from a online retailer, and a new faceplate with the model name and knobs and plugs wired to the added PCB they made online modified onto the amp so they could control from the top side/lid of the amp. instead of the front.

and look at the method to make housing for the mids, simply PCB tube and or the white one, as the tubes got discontinued they used the white ones instead with a lid on the end. and the ring tighter to fuse the subs together as also just a off the shelve item, they now have custom bracket I seen, but its the same concept just metal to tighten the end together.

so im no expert, but im guessing that why ppl love the sound so much, the Bryston amp inside is the Big factor.
plus that's problem also why the price also sky-high for some of the models, im guessing the 3k ones uses some low-end amps modified, tho like I said, maby the SMSL kit modified or some newer low end hifi amp again with modified PCB add-on why ruin a formulae that works right., hyperx amp cost too much same for ncore ithink for the footprints 01 and 02, but I could be wrong. on the bigger models im very confident its still Bryston amps inside, he said himself they had a deal where he could drill holes ect, and the garrentee would still be in place, and Bryston have a 20 year warranty seems like a win win to me.

if anyone have more shot of inside or know about amps used in other models, please make a post. btw the pictures are of the MM12
The higher end barefoots use Hypex Fusion plate amps. No clue what the Footprints use.

Bartic

Hey community,

Are these Sonarworks measurements normal for the Footprint 01?
I'll attach the measurements of the left and right speaker separately (01s, Genelec 8040b and KH120). Unfortunately the left speaker is placed in a tri-corner, explaining the enormous peak at around 60hz. The 6db dip from 300hz to 1.3khz from the Barefoot FP01's left speaker is rather strange, since the Genelec and the Neumann don't exhibit the same issue. The results overall for each speaker are far from ideal. But the KH120 and Genelec hold up solidly, compared to the Barefoot.

Any input would be appreciated.

Attachments

• Genelec 8040 LEFT.PNG
    Genelec 8040 LEFT.PNG
    38.1 KB · Views: 48
  • Barefoot 01 LEFT.PNG
    Barefoot 01 LEFT.PNG
    37.3 KB · Views: 49
  • Neumann KH120 R.PNG
    Neumann KH120 R.PNG
    33.8 KB · Views: 48
  • Genelec 8040 R.PNG
    Genelec 8040 R.PNG
    32.8 KB · Views: 48
  • Barefoot 01 R.PNG
    Barefoot 01 R.PNG
    33 KB · Views: 50
  • Neumann KH120 LEFT.PNG
    Neumann KH120 LEFT.PNG
    39.7 KB · Views: 46

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The 6db dip from 300hz to 1.3khz from the Barefoot FP01's left speaker is rather strange, since the Genelec and the Neumann don't exhibit the same issue.

Could it be related to them having wider dispersion at those frequencies and that reflecting and causing a cancellation?

index.php

Top Bottom