• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Bare wire, tinned ends, or crimped and soldered banana plugs

Memoryerror

Forum Donor
I am wondering how much speaker wire connections matter and what would be the best option between bare wire, tinned ends, or crimped and soldered banana plugs. Has anyone done tests? Anybody have insight?

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I am wondering how much speaker wire connections matter and what would be the best option between bare wire, tinned ends, or crimped and soldered banana plugs. Has anyone done tests? Anybody have insight?

I use ultra sonically welded lockable bananas.

Don Hills

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Banana plugs or spade lugs.
If you're going for banana plugs, avoid the ones where the barrel-shaped springy part of the shank rotates around the central shaft.
Crimped versus soldered: crimp if you have the correct professional crimping tool (or can get someone to crimp them for you.) Otherwise solder, with a couple of layers of heat-shrink tubing to reduce flexing.
Tinned ends would be the worst choice. The solder cold flows under the pressure and the resistance increases rapidly.

Top Bottom