• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Balanced system purchase

Tahoe

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on my first real hifi system, and looking for general input on the components I'm planning to put together - especially where the budget is being well spent, and where it might be less effective.

Yamaha WXC-50 streamer
Ayre CODEX DAC
Parasound Halo HINT 6 integrated amplifier
Paradigm Founder 100F speakers

Does that sound like a reasonable build? I'm relatively confident the speakers are the right units, but I find myself wondering if I've been up-sold - effectively buying three separate DACs in the setup. Could a parasound A23+ and the Yamaha's DAC deliver a similar end result?

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on my first real hifi system, and looking for general input on the components I'm planning to put together - especially where the budget is being well spent, and where it might be less effective.

Yamaha WXC-50 streamer
Ayre CODEX DAC

Does that sound like a reasonable build? I'm relatively confident the speakers are the right units, but I find myself wondering if I've been up-sold - effectively buying three separate DACs in the setup. Could a parasound A23+ and the Yamaha's DAC deliver a similar end result?

A quick forum search got me this.

Not even close to state of the art. Look for the DACs measured and recommended here. Pick one which fits your budget and feature requirements.

Also for the amp you can do better at lower or equal cost. Eg look into Benchmark AHB2 or any of the Purify amp module based amps eg Audiophonics, BoXem, Buckeye or NAD C399. The Nad even contains a DAC and streamer so you can dispense with the WXC too.

Yes they upsold you on the electronics.

OP
T

Tahoe

A quick forum search got me this.

Not even close to state of the art. Look for the DACs measured and recommended here. Pick one which fits your budget and feature requirements.

Also for the amp you can do better at lower or equal cost. Eg look into Benchmark AHB2 or any of the Purify amp module based amps eg Audiophonics, BoXem, Buckeye or NAD C399. The Nad even contains a DAC and streamer so you can dispense with the WXC too.

Yes they upsold you on the electronics.
Sorry, I should have mentioned - I have a Yamaha musiccast multi-room system going, so the streamer portion is pretty set unless it's going to be a significant quality issue. I believe the built in DAC is bypass-able, if that's a hang point. Should also mention I generally like warmer sound, as far as things go.

Thanks for the input - will look at NADs offerings.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If the W
Sorry, I should have mentioned - I have a Yamaha musiccast multi-room system going, so the streamer portion is pretty set unless it's going to be a significant quality issue. I believe the built in DAC is bypass-able, if that's a hang point. Should also mention I generally like warmer sound, as far as things go.

Thanks for the input - will look at NADs offerings.

If the WXC is set, than you don’t need another DAC. Then rather look into the suggested pure power amps. Especially the Benchmark AHB2. The NADs also have a built in DAC and Streamer but you already have that in the WXC. However the NADs have room correction EQ (Dirac) which is very much recommended to have so you can compensate for your room modes.

Peluvius

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
How will you listen (how close, casual or critical....)? What content do you like? Do you have any upgrade or expansion thoughts ie. eventually part of a HT system? subwoofer?

OP
T

Tahoe

How will you listen (how close, casual or critical....)? What content do you like? Do you have any upgrade or expansion thoughts ie. eventually part of a HT system? subwoofer?
This system is going to be my primary listening room, no thoughts of going home theater in the future but always happy to leave a door open for future upgrades for music.
Sitting around 10' from the speakers in a large room.
Want the experience of listening to be front and center, but an enveloping, rich sound is more important to me than absolute accuracy.
Content is varied - classic rock, Indie, occasional electronic. Acoustic guitar and vocals will make up a substantial bulk.
Have a Klipsch R-12SWi I could add to the room if it won't mud things up - not sure if it's up to snuff with the rest.

Last edited:

Peluvius

Forum Donor
This system is going to be my primary listening room, no thoughts of going home theater in the future but always happy to leave a door open for future upgrades for music.
Sitting around 10' from the speakers in a large room.
Want the experience of listening to be front and center, but an enveloping, rich sound is more important to me than absolute accuracy.
Content is varied - classic rock, Indie, occasional electronic. Acoustic guitar and vocals will make up a substantial bulk.
Have a Klipsch R-12SWi I could add to the room if it won't mud things up - not sure if it's up to snuff with the rest.

I would forget the extra DAC (not needed) and look at a dedicated stereo power amp like the parasound you refer to, look at something that would give you Room correction (MiniDSP flex could sit between the WXC50 and the power amp and give you a Dirac option). Feed the MiniDSP a digital signal from the WXC50 so you are not converting the signal more than you need to. The Flex will also give you additional input options if that is relevant. Balanced options for the Flex and the power amp would be good.

Future upgrade options might then be a sub and or some room treatment?

Last edited:

Gorgonzola

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Yamaha WXC-50 streamer
Ayre CODEX DAC

Weird choices IMHO.

Technically the Yamaha stream is all you need if paired with a downstream power amp. That's because the Yamaha has all the preamp functions and also has DAC functionality (-- no to say it's an ideal preamp or DAC).

The Arye DAC is a complete waste of money since it is a relatively expensive, poorly-performing DAC, and either the Yamaha or Parasound will do as good or better job.

FWIW, Ayre's founder, the late Charles Hansen, was a bit like Nelson Pass; they both like low feedback and like harmonic distortion, and least certain orders of HD. If you want the purest, most transparent and dynamic sound, look elsewhere.

Practical, better performing, and cheaper solution solution would be a miniDSP SHD plus a Buckeye Purifi 1ET400A 2-channel or similar Purifi-based amp

Last edited:
OP
T

Tahoe

Weird choices IMHO.

Technically the Yamaha stream is all you need if paired with a downstream power amp. That's because the Yamaha has all the preamp functions and also has DAC functionality (-- no to say it's an ideal preamp or DAC).

The Arye DAC is a complete waste of money since it is a relatively expensive, poorly-performing DAC, and either the Yamaha or Parasound will do as good or better job.

FWIW, Ayre's founder, the late Charles Hansen, was a bit like Nelson Pass; they both like low feedback and like harmonic distortion, and least certain orders of HD. If you want the purest, most transparent and dynamic sound, look elsewhere.

Practical, better performing, and cheaper solution solution would be a miniDSP SHD plus a Buckeye Purifi 1ET400A 2-channel or similar Purifi-based amp
What would the purpose of the miniDSP be in this instance? The Yamaha already offers room correction and has the DAC components; I'm confused with some feedback saying cut the extras and others saying components should be kept but swapped for alternatives.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The Yamaha streamer preamp and a power amp. Not an integrated power amp a plain power amp. This does not get you Dirac room correction or something similar.

You seem set on the streamer and speakers so all you need is a good power amp. Another DAC is not needed nor helpful. The Parasound A23+ would do fine. No point in the integrated model you are just repeating preamp capabilities already in the streamer. One could choose other power amps, but the A23+ would do what you need.

Gorgonzola

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What would the purpose of the miniDSP be in this instance? The Yamaha already offers room correction and has the DAC components; I'm confused with some feedback saying cut the extras and others saying components should be kept but swapped for alternatives.
@Tahoe, I was assuming you don't already have the Yamaha or other electronics on your list: apology if I was wrong.

The miniDSP SHD is a combination streamer (Volumio). preamp with room EQ (Dirac) and crossovers, and DAC; this together with the Buckeye amp I suggested would replace the Yamaha, Ayre, and Parasound. I.e. I'm suggesting swapping out the latter three for the former two.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Peluvius

Forum Donor

You need a source: you have said that you need Musicast so the Yamaha does that job but it will not do room correction even remotely as well as a Dirac option (I have the WXC50 and it will do fine as a source but only does basic EQ which is not what I am talking about).
You need amplification: A stereo power amp is your best option (unless you have other requirements which have not been mentioned).
You need speakers: You like the ones you have nominated. If Paradigm have started to return to their roots and deliver excellent speakers these could well be a great choice for you, I have not heard them.

In a nutshell, that is all you need to get a great sounding stereo system. Unclear why anyone would suggest to you an additional DAC or an integrated Amp unless there are other considerations which have not come up yet.

To give a significant improvement to this basic system, I would recommend considering adding a Dirac capability to correct for your room acoustics. You would do this by adding a piece of electronics which can do this like the MiniDSP Flex (there are other miniDSP options) or the NAD I see someone has mentioned, which can also be your amplifier.
This would be extra, not needed but recommended.

I would also suggest you consider a subwoofer, which you will be able to integrate properly with something like the MiniDSP device.

There are so many options and many opinions, I also suggest you browse the forum and read about some of the options so you can appreciate how they might impact your particular requirement.

Top Bottom