• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Balanced Sound & Stage Everywhere? Genelec The Ones+Ohm Walsh+Line Array+Polk L800: Front to rear, top to bottom, left to right sound the same.

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Can you solve all of these problems at once?

Context: You're designing a sound room for a group of people who sit, stand, walk around, and do yoga while listening to stereo music, and they want it to sound the same no matter their position or head height in the room without using headphones. Needs to have even response, similar loudness, and a balanced soundstage wherever you are in the room.

A: Vertical dispersion should be even without any lobes of interference. This can be solved by an acoustic point source.

B: Loudness should be as even as possible, even if someone is moving away from or towards the sound source. This can be accomplished with a line array.

C: Channel balance should be similar even as the user(s) move left to right. This can be done with extreme toe in or focusing sound more towards the other speaker so that the loudest on axis response is directed towards someone more the further they go from center. (See the JBL Paragon diagram and photo below.)

D: Crosstalk cancellation? This can be solved with something like the L800.

At this point perhaps a line array of stacked Genelec monitors would do the trick if they were extra toed in to have more direct sound the further off axis you were, and you'd build them into corner soffits. The line array would take care of making it a little softer when you went towards them because only one or a few drivers would be pointed towards you enough, and if you backed up you'd be within the dispersion limits.

Has anyone designed a room or built architectural speakers like this? Just a pipe dream but ultimately I'd love a house that had a room and speakers that could do this.
3-Way Dual Concentric Coaxial Speakers.png
ranger-paragon.jpg
Paragon-Diagram1.jpg
Line Array Speaker.jpg

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
For a somewhat even sound everywhere in the room plus good vertical dispersion you would need constant beam transducers plus several subwoofers spread all around the room.

There is really no other compromises that i’m aware of. You would need tweeters that are 0.95 inch wide and are 1 inch apart (so 1mm between the drivers!) on the array to maintain high frequency linearity till 10KHz. I don’t know how low the tweeters will play if you have a hundred of them so you may or may not need to cross them to another array with mid woofers behind the tweeter array.

1641886323297.jpeg

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't think you can build a line array that has broad dispersion both vertically and horizontally? The direction of the array will always have an interference pattern.

They don't have interference lobes the way normal speakers do though, the vertical dispersion is decent it's just very narrow. I believe the way it works is the larger the array, the narrower the dispersion in that dimension, so perhaps you could get something broader by using fewer drivers.

index.php

This is generally considered to be a feature, not a bug, because it reduces reflections.

OP
stevenswall

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't think you can build a line array that has broad dispersion both vertically and horizontally? The direction of the array will always have an interference pattern.

They don't have interference lobes the way normal speakers do though, the vertical dispersion is decent it's just very narrow. I believe the way it works is the larger the array, the narrower the dispersion in that dimension, so perhaps you could get something broader by using fewer drivers.
For a somewhat even sound everywhere in the room plus good vertical dispersion you would need constant beam transducers plus several subwoofers spread all around the room.

There is really no other compromises that i’m aware of. You would need tweeters that are 0.95 inch wide and are 1 inch apart (so 1mm between the drivers!) on the array to maintain high frequency linearity till 10KHz. I don’t know how low the tweeters will play if you have a hundred of them so you may or may not need to cross them to another array with mid woofers behind the tweeter array.

View attachment 178127

This is generally considered to be a feature, not a bug, because it reduces reflections.

It would be a feature, but that's a hard sacrifice. I like Genelec coaxial monitors specifically because when I sit on the floor, stand, or am on the couch they sound very even, similar to on axist.

A line array that was floor to ceiling and had even, wide dispersion but with some off axis roll off would be good, I've just never heard of someone using one and describing the effect as being even dispersion in all dimensions. Usually I associate them with concerts, and they sound loud at best.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@Sancus

The vertical beam width is ‘engineered’ and is heavily dependent on the length, and angle of the speaker not really on the number of drivers.

Dal1as

You would need floor to ceiling line arrays like the Magicos, about 12 subwoofers, and good room treatment.

Joachim Herbert

Forum Donor
Bose 901 firing to the ceiling. Had that setup during my teens in a very unfriendly room. Still puts a smile on my face. Not exactly HiFi, however.

Hipper

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Surely this all depends on the room size?

OP
stevenswall

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
So this basically?

And would that keep a balanced soundstage as one moved left to right?

No this is about moving further to and away from the speaker, not about moving left to right.

for that you need a center channel and a trinaural processor.

Top Bottom