• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Balanced signal connection for bi-amping

bsheckler

Forum Donor
I would like to thank amirm and everybody else on the forum for the invaluable information and precious entertainment that I glean from lurking on this forum !

While I have been in this hobby for a long time, I have no personal experience with balanced connections for consumer audio. As a retired EE I believe that I understand the potential benefits. I am a little hazy on the implementation for what I am considering.

I would like to use an SMSL M500 DAC/Pre-amp to feed balanced stereo input signals to all channels of a Buckeye Amps NC252MP four-channel amplifier to be used for bi-amplifying floorstanding speakers.

My first thought was to contact the folks at Blue Jeans Cable and see if they would make me some balanced WYE signal cables.

My second thought was to ask you guys your opinion on the best way to make the signal connection between the two units.

I believe that I can connect one stereo pair balanced and one stereo pair SE with the existing connections on the M500, but expect that would lead to matching issues between them. However, one set would not be balanced. Also, not sure the M500 drives both outputs at once.

The input selection on the SMSL M500 is a good fit for my equipment.

Congratulations to @Buckeye Amps for a job well done, I am looking forward to becoming a local customer (I am also from Toledo).

Keep Up the Good Work !

Bil

OP
B

bsheckler

Forum Donor
After looking at blue jeans website I see that they offer balanced Y cables of custom lengths as a regular product made with Belden cable and Neutrik connectors for very reasonable cost.

Would splitting the output from an SMSL M500 to feed a four-channel Buckeye Amps NC252MP require cables that had one male and two female connectors or cables that had one female and two male connectors ?

Does this seem like the right way to go at this ?

Stay Warm,

Bil

Top Bottom