• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

balanced output to unbalanced input??? Topping DX7PRO

RoyB

Forum Donor
I'm just about ready to click "submit Order" for a Topping DX7 PRO ($650)....It checks all the boxes I'm looking for in a lower cost preamp. Been driving myself nuts putting and deleting various DAC/Preamps into my shopping cart!

Question,....... is there any advantage to using the balanced outputs with adapter cables into unbalanced inputs (VTA ST120 Dynaco Clone amplifier or Yamaha M45 Amplifier)

I was looking at the RME DAC/Preamp, but it really offers way more than I need at more than I want to spend. $1299

The Topping D30pro is a fantastic value DAC/Pre but does not have Bluetooth. I want cutting edge Bluetooth. $399

The other option was the SMSL M200. Amazing device for the money $299

In your opinions, how much better is the Topping DX7pro to the SMSL M200 ?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0887VGTT3/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_2?smid=A19NVE4G6SOT2C&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Topping-ES90...eywords=topping+dx7+pro&qid=1619357887&sr=8-3

Thanks in advance

OP
R

RoyB

Forum Donor
Thanks!

SMSL SU-9 vs Topping DX7 pro...???

This looks like a tough call....

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
You don't gain anything by going from a balanced output into an unbalanced input. In this instance, just use an unbalanced (RCA) output of the DAC.

I go the opposite way in using a balanced input (via a transformer) for my active crossovers taking the unbalanced signal out from my preamp. This is done to provide isolation in my system which is quite complex and prone to ground loops.

OP
R

RoyB

Forum Donor
Thank you....That's what I thought but wanted to be sure.

OP
R

RoyB

Forum Donor
Well I ordered the Topping DX7pro from APOS........I wanted silver to match other equipment (silly I know) and I wanted a headphone jack without adding another piece of equipment. Might be fun rolling OP-AMPS too.....

I'll be comparing it to:
Schiit Sega with a few different tubes
DOUK P1 two tube
Yamaha CX800U
MiniDSP HD
Cambridge Audio AZUR 840 (as a preamp)
Direct out from Bluesound Node2i into Amplifiers

Gremlins

Well I ordered the Topping DX7pro from APOS........I wanted silver to match other equipment (silly I know) and I wanted a headphone jack without adding another piece of equipment. Might be fun rolling OP-AMPS too.....

I'll be comparing it to:
Schiit Sega with a few different tubes
DOUK P1 two tube
Yamaha CX800U
MiniDSP HD
Cambridge Audio AZUR 840 (as a preamp)
Direct out from Bluesound Node2i into Amplifiers

That's a nice comparison you will do here, thanks

Question, could you please let Amir review your douk audio p1 please?

Thanks

OP
R

RoyB

Forum Donor
Question, could you please let Amir review your douk audio p1 please?

We all know this would not end well......This is the type of device that sounds great but most likely will measure very poorly. Like many tube devices.

Gremlins

We all know this would not end well......This is the type of device that sounds great but most likely will measure very poorly. Like many tube devices.
Thanks

You right, but still i am very interested in measurements as what i read on some forums is that its is a little jewel with no distortion .

Especially this french forum claims that it is a giant killer . Reviews indicate that they never heard something lile that its transparent and high fidelity from the dac it has

And i am curious

Thanks

OP
R

RoyB

Forum Donor
I will be comparing it to the preamps I've listed above. After that I'll send it to Amir for a test if he is willing.

Gremlins

Cool, thanks
I think what amir is doing is great, and thumbs up to people who can send devices to him

That's a huge data base of measurements available

Top Bottom