• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Balanced Headphone Cable DIY (questions)

tiramisu

I spent a little time googling.

I have my trusty old MDR-7506's and now that I have purchased the Topping L50 they are getting more than enough power unbalanced

So I have no good reason to
drill a hole into my old headphones and mount a female 4.4mm Pentaconn jack.
nor do I have any justification for making a 4-pin male balanced 10-foot cable with a Neutrik connector and a 4.4mm Pentaconn connector
recognizing that I could just use a 3.5 unbalanced connecter.

Further, I have no reason to purchase Mogami W2893 wire, paracord, or shrink wrap.

Am I missing anything?

Thanks
t.

twsecrest

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I really doubt switching the MDR-7506 headphones to a balanced jack would make a worthwhile difference.
I do not think your missing anything.

OP
T

tiramisu

Thanks, I'm thinking of doing this purely as an exercise in looking pretty at this point. Almost certainly better ways of spending 100$ CAD in bits and pieces. That nice 4-pin xlr port looks so lonely.

tomchr

Audio Company
Forum Donor
Are you sure you want microphone cable, though? 24 AWG is pretty skinny. I'd go 18-20 AWG if possible. The headphone cable does not need to be shielded. Any 4-conductor cable will do, though getting one with a nice and soft jacket would make for a better experience.

Tom

OP
T

tiramisu

Are you sure you want microphone cable, though? 24 AWG is pretty skinny. I'd go 18-20 AWG if possible. The headphone cable does not need to be shielded. Any 4-conductor cable will do, though getting one with a nice and soft jacket would make for a better experience.

Tom
Not sure of anything. That is why I posted—looking for precisely these kinds of suggestions from my betters :)

With cable hanging from the headphones I thought lighter would be better.
Strip the jacket and the shielding, braid it and cover it with the paracord.

tomchr

Audio Company
Forum Donor
Ah. Sorry. I was think you were making an extension cable, not replacing the cable on the phones themselves. In that case you definitely do want light and flexible cable. I wonder if two runs of 2-conductor cable would be the cat's meow. You could run them together inside tech flex (or para cord) until ~30 cm from the end where each half would branch out to the ear cups. Seal the Y with a bit of heat shrink with built-in adhesive.

Tom

Top Bottom