• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Balanced Headphone Amplifier for RME ADI-2 DAC Recommendations

Markx

Good day everybody & I am happy to be with you,

This is my first post in this forum and I have some questions!

My very old setup was a fully balanced DAC/AMP combo (single unit) and I used expensive 4-pin XLR Headphones cables. Recently and for quite some time I have been searching for a way to upgrade and refresh the sound of my system within certain limits and without spending a lot on a single component which ended with acquiring the RME ADI-2 DAC, the sound coming from the single-ended connection of this small unit is mesmerizing, I use only dynamic Headphones.

I would love to use my 4-pin xlr Headphones cables again which is cool, but I need to know the recent and best possible amps under $1100 that can dance well with the rme unit.

PLEASE NO SCHIIT, NO AUDIO-GD, NO WOO AUDIO, NO VIOLECTRIC & LAKE PEOPLE, NO BENCHMARK AUDIO RECOMMENDATIONS, I SAY NO BECAUSE GENERALLY THEY ASK TOO MUCH FOR WHAT THEY OFFER OR IT IS SIMPLY OUT OF MY BUDGET.

I really wonder, do I really need a balanced amp?!

Thanks for your help! Have a nice day & enjoy the music!

Gomjab

The RME ADI-2 DAC is on my short list of DACs I’m considering. I will use it with the THX AAA 789 amp that I recently acquired from Massdrop. I can’t speak to the long term reliability but I can say it sounds extremely transparent, has absolutely no audible hiss at full volume with any of my headphones, and has plenty of power to drive my favorite ones. I’ve used it with DT-770(unbal), HD600(unbal), HD650(bal), and HD800s(bal) and an SU-8 DAC with balanced interconnects.

So far I am extremely happy with the THX AAA 789. It has fantastic performance for the asking price. Hopefully Massdrop gets out another drop soon.

See Amir’s review here:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...easurements-of-massdrop-thx-aaa-789-amp.5001/

GoMrPickles

Forum Donor
Hi, welcome to the forums. I'd recommend the Massdrop THX AAA 789; I have it. If you don't need balanced, the JDS Labs Atom is only $100. I'm interested to see if people have other recommendations.

spike99

Hi,

First post as well.
I have been researching DAC's & AMP's for my desktop PC.... And I'm leaning towards RME ADI-2 DAC... and also waiting on drop for THX AAA 789. But would I need the THX AAA 789 if RME ADI-2 already includes an amp ?

jasonq997

Forum Donor
Hi,

First post as well.
I have been researching DAC's & AMP's for my desktop PC.... And I'm leaning towards RME ADI-2 DAC... and also waiting on drop for THX AAA 789. But would I need the THX AAA 789 if RME ADI-2 already includes an amp ?

According to the measurements on this site the amp on this device is very good as a headphone amp. Probably as much as most people need unless there is a very unique situation that requires more firepower. If you want THX 789, a cheaper DAC solution is a better idea unless you want all of the functionality of the RME.

Gomjab

What Jason said. I already have the AAA 789. The only thing the RME ADI-2 isn’t going to give you is a balanced headphone out which you may not need. If you like the features and specs of the ADI-2 you could always get that first and see how you like the built-in headphone amp. If you later feel you want a balanced headphone amp buy the AAA 789 to pair with it.

spike99

According to the measurements on this site the amp on this device is very good as a headphone amp. Probably as much as most people need unless there is a very unique situation that requires more firepower. If you want THX 789, a cheaper DAC solution is a better idea unless you want all of the functionality of the RME.

Thanks for reply...

I have a Focal Elex on the way and was looking for seperate DAC & AMP. I was looking at THX 789 & pairing it with SMSL VMV D1 DAC or TOPPING D50... But don't know when THX 789 would be available hence started to look elsewhere...

Yes, I agree... I don't need all of the functionality of the RME...
Maybe I should wait out the THX 789 for a month or 2 and see if it comes out ?

spike99

What Jason said. I already have the AAA 789. The only thing the RME ADI-2 isn’t going to give you is a balanced headphone out which you may not need. If you like the features and specs of the ADI-2 you could always get that first and see how you like the built-in headphone amp. If you later feel you want a balanced headphone amp buy the AAA 789 to pair with it.

Yes, that was my intention of getting the RME ADI-2 and then see if I need a separate amp... but now on the fence whether I should wait for the THX and then buy a different DAC.

Gomjab

I’m using an SU-8 DAC with the 789 for now as it provides balanced outputs and was only $200. They seem to pair well. Frankly it’s probably all I need but I’m still really tempted to splurge and get the RME. If I end up getting the RME I will use the SU-8 to feed a pair of bottlehead amps. It will be nice having the remote and a DAC with volume control. Something my last DAC lacked.

OP
M

Markx

Thanks for the help guys! For the peace of my mind and once it becomes available I might get the Massdrop THX 789 Headphones Amplifier and see how things workout. I love the design of Auralic Taurus MKII Headphones Amplifier, the faceplate is one of a kind and a pleasure to look at, but it is expensive, out of stock or sold out plus it will never be in my list. Many thanks for the replys and the kind responses!

D

Deleted member 3718

I did see a user post on these forums that the Liquid Platinum was a step above the THX 789 in terms of sound. Subjective input but you might be interested in taking a look at that amp

Rodney Jones

Another vote for the SMSL SU-8 and the Massdrop THX 789. Combination works flawlessly and sounds great. The RME looks great and I am very tempted but that is just curiosity.

OP
M

Markx

I went deep into CHI-FI for a very long period of time because the products back then (about 8 or 9 years ago) had the best components inside and their performance, prices and build quality at that time were simply unmatched, today substandard products are the norm with few exceptions of course.

In my search I came across the Liquid Platinum and did read a bit about it. To be honest the design coupled with tubes - They call it hybrid if I am not mistaken - and the asking price were not to my liking plus I want an amplifier with flat top surface so I can stack the RME unit.

Beside Auralic Taurus MKII I forgot to mention a beautifully designed and well equipped balanced Headphones Amplifier, which is The Aune S7 Pro, but unfortunately it doesn't have a flat top surface.

soundwave76

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I am selling an ADI-2 Pro (Anniversary Edition) which has balanced out for headphones. Sell the DAC and get the Pro? ;)

spike99

Another vote for the SMSL SU-8 and the Massdrop THX 789. Combination works flawlessly and sounds great. The RME looks great and I am very tempted but that is just curiosity.

I had same idea.... If only I had an idea when THX 789 would be available... I assume it may take some time... So I pulled the trigger on the RME ADI-2.

mickeyd123

Forum Donor
Well I first had the JDS atom with the jds ol dac. then I upgraded to the smsl su8 v2. Then got the balanced cable bug after buying the hiby r6, which meant I then upgraded to the massdrop thx 789 aaa, finally I was swayed by the reviews here to get the RME ADI-2 DAC. I had enough balanced cables that I was not willing to part with the massdrop. So i basically use my headphones that don't have balanced cables with the RME, and the balanced with the massdrop. Frankly I like the protection aspects for non-balanced headphones/low impedance headphones that RME offers and I like the extra juice that massdrop gives for balanced. Could I live without the Massdrop? sure I could, but I don't want to.... you will be just fine with the RME and massdrop, I don't think there is a better sounding combination with this level of flexibility and sound objective review data out there... I also love the flashing lights on the RME.. Happy listening. the biggest audible difference I noticed was when I swapped out the oldac by the way. Sweetwater has 0% 36 months deals on the RME by the way, that was how I justified it to myself... lol...

Gomjab

Catching up on this thread from last year. I just took advantage of Sweetwater’s 0% for 48 months to get the new RME ADI-2 PRO FSR. I plan to use it as a good quality ADC/DAC for my home studio. It has the advantage over the ADI-2 DAC of being able to drive my balanced headphones though that wasn’t my reason for acquiring. Just a side benefit.
I hope Amir gets a chance to review the updated RME ADI-2 DAC.

vlad335

Forum Donor
I apologize for bumping an old thread but I want to do the same thing. Always get excellent recommendations here.

I have a RME ADI-2 FS DAC and I am really digging this unit. However I am wondering about an upgrade to balanced headphone outputs and not sure about the connectivity with adding an outboard amp to my setup. I use the ADI-2 balanced outs feeding a SVS SB-1000 sub. ( XLR to RCA cable) and out of the SVS to a pair of studio monitors. The SVS has a built in 80hz hi-pass and it sounds quite good actually.

With the RME I just plug headphones in and it bypasses the line out to the monitors. Super simple. Adding an amp I am not so sure.

Looking at the S.M.S.L SP200 amp for now. has an excellent review here. It has XLR and RCA inputs but no output that i can feed to my monitors. How would I hook this up to the RME and switch between headphones and monitors? Would adding something like this not be optimal?

Last edited:

Noodles

RME has normal RCA outs ... why not use that to feed the sub ?
In any case - the SP200 amp has quite a few issues with the volume knob - better not risk it.
Topping A90, SMSL SH-9, Gustard H16 have a well proven several months record with the least amount of issues :)
My pick is the Topping A30 Pro - RCA and TRS (balanced) passthrough. If you want a pre - go with the aforementioned.

You will switch between the monitors and the headphone amp by... shutting down one :)

Top Bottom