• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Balanced dac recommendation with bluetooth <$1000

spark plugs.

looking for recommendations for a DAC that will do balanced out and unbalanced out (for my subwoofer), has bluetooth, and (hopefully) can go full pre-amp mode with the volume being controlled by my Mac.

I hate extra remotes/controls and like a seamless and unified experience.

qec

Topping EX5 meets all of your needs I believe. $350 will leave you with plenty left over

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
MiniDSP Flex. Also has DSP.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There is a balanced (TRS) version, a unbalanced one (i have this) and a future digital only one.

It's out of stock, but should be back in a month or two. As you know, Shenzen has a hard lockdown because of covid, so nothing much can be done by the guys.

OP
S

spark plugs.

There is a balanced (TRS) version, a unbalanced one (i have this) and a future digital only one.

It's out of stock, but should be back in a month or two. As you know, Shenzen has a hard lockdown because of covid, so nothing much can be done by the guys.
I need balanced and unbalanced to play at the same time.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I need balanced and unbalanced to play at the same time.

I understand it's for your unbalanced subwoofers:

I think there are cheaper, yet more eye pleasing options available.

Best part, with the DSP inside, you can do proper bass management and room correction.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Dougey_Jones

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
SMSL SU-9n?

norcalscott

Forum Donor
I second the recommendation of the SMSL SU-9n (if you don't care about MQA) or the SU-9 if you do.

Bluetooth performance on this DAC is very good - it supports LDAP, and since I have an Android phone, this was a major selling point. In addition, the preamp output level is high enough for it to server as a true pre-amp. There are also some useful tone control / filters that are built in.

Edit - corrected spelling of "LDAP"

Last edited:

flz

SMSL SU-9n?
What a coincidence. After extensive research with big help from ASR, I decided on that unit. And I don't need/want MQA. I think many of these top measuring DACs probably sound very similar where the audible differences aren't relevant for me. It was a matter of which functions I wanted at a given price.

Top Bottom