• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Balanced DAC around ~$500 with 12V trigger out and remote

starfly

Forum Donor
I'm looking for a DAC with balanced output, 12V trigger out and a remote control for use with a 2 channel power amp. Ideally one that measures well of course :) Looking through the reviews here it seems that most DACs do not have 12V trigger outs. I want this feature as I would use it to control my amp turning on/off from standby as my amp doesn't have a remote.

Any suggestions? Willing to raise the price to around ~$1000 if it were to include Dirac Live, but I think only the miniDSP SHD includes Dirac Live, and that DAC doesn't have a 12V trigger out. My plan at this point is to use a Intel NUC mini-pc with Dirac Live Studio (for stereo listening room correction) as the source, feed that to this external DAC I'm looking for, which in turn will send its signal to my power amp.

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer
OP
S

starfly

Forum Donor
These threads may or may not be helpful for you ...
Benchmark DAC3 looks good from Amir's measurements but I don't believe it has a remote. That said it's well above your price range.

Thanks for the links. There doesn't seem to be anything in those that might meet what I'm looking for. And yeah, the dac3 is way too expensive :)

Seems like most dacs are intended for use on a desktop with a PC, not necessarily as part of a larger hifi/home theater setup.

My AVR has 12v trigger out, but I plan on adding a separate dedicated 2ch music listening setup to my system.

MW6006

I know the emotiva xda-1 and xda-2 aren't the best measuring DACs but they do fit your criteria if you are willing to grab a used one.

Xombul

Forum Donor
OK, I have understood. What about Emotiva ET-3? Would it be suitable for your application?

Pluto

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I'm looking for a DAC with balanced output, 12V trigger out and a remote control for use with a 2 channel power amp
Why not use a remote mains switch like this to control all the kit that needs switching? If necessary, one button press can command all the receivers to switch.

Selecting a DAC merely because it has a 12V trigger facility is, surely, putting the cart before the horse.

OP
S

starfly

Forum Donor
Why not use a remote mains switch like this to control all the kit that needs switching? If necessary, one button press can command all the receivers to switch.

Selecting a DAC merely because it has a 12V trigger facility is, surely, putting the cart before the horse.

Well, sure, but it's baffling that there are so few DACs that offer this fairly simple feature.

OP
S

starfly

Forum Donor
OK, I have understood. What about Emotiva ET-3? Would it be suitable for your application?

That might work actually. I could have the DAC connected to one of those remote controlled outlets, and then this ET-3 to a second remote controlled outlet, which would then send a trigger signal to everything else.

Illtrick

Not sure how diy you want to go but if you're interested a possible solution is a raspberry pi running volumio. There's a plugin that allows you to use the GPIO on the pi as a trigger. I have one setup such that it turns the amp on when music starts playing then shuts off 10 minutes after the music stops. You also need to use a little relay module + 12v power supply because the pi can only switch 3 or 5 volts.

Top Bottom