• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Bagby Mandolin DIY Speaker Review

MrHifiTunes

Would take a bit more effort as would want to rate them on multiple attributes. Only one that is a bit harder to build is the Selah Integrity due to the truncated frame for the midrange, but the reward is a the best overall sound of the bunch. Most of them are much smaller than I normally would prefer, so would have to ask whether you plan to use nearfield, far, with or without a subwoofer?

Even though not quite finished, and has the advantage of an active crossover, my preliminary listening suggests that the first Directiva will exceed all the others btw. :)
Im into small speaker and will use it with a sub. I find small speakers are good in imagine and creating a good soundstage. I also want an easy load so no 4ohm speaker. clean and clear natural midrange is also important.

alexis

Audio Company
Im into small speaker and will use it with a sub. I find small speakers are good in imagine and creating a good soundstage. I also want an easy load so no 4ohm speaker. clean and clear natural midrange is also important.
There are many 4ohm easy load speakers. Whether speakers are easy load or not depends on the impedance curve and phases. Most amplifiers today have no problem driving 4 ohm or 8 ohm speakers. For example, if the impedance curve drops to 2 ohm at 100Hz (low frequency), it would be very demanding to the amp at that frequency.

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As promised, checked up with Meniscus on the design discrepancies for this speaker and here is what I found:
  1. The tweeter position was changed by Jeff and so the drawing is correct and the review speaker is as he intended in that regard. This also means I do not plan to change the speaker I built.
  2. The box tuning difference is going to require some additional research and should have a response tomorrow.
In any case, it is a solid performer for the price and, as it is DIY, the port length can be adjusted to taste. Once Amir returns it, will try the longer port and do a nearfield measurement comparison. :cool:

Just shipped the Directiva speaker to Amir and remembered I will need one for me.

So playing with Mandolin will take a back seat to Directiva. The port tuning should not keep anyone from buying it. He made a smaller, less expensive sibling called Piccolo. Looks like a nice small speaker to match up with a subwoofer.

Top Bottom