• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Bad recording/master: it is a crime!!!

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
If we can't rely on YouTube music video to tell how bad an audio recording is, what can we rely on...a LP, CD, a Hires music download?

The dynamic range compression, loudness meltdown...they are one thing, but a badly music recording with distortion is another sad thing.
_____

☠ Warning: Some humor content might not vibrate with everyone's own vibes.

captain paranoia

what can we rely on...a LP, CD, a Hires music download

Depends on where the mastering problem has been applied... Usually CD. Hi-res download may not have been butchered in mastering.

Any YouTube video that uses a lossy compression format won't exhibit the hard limiting of a badly mastered CD, because it is a reconstruction, not the original. The reconstruction process is bandwidth limited, so won't reproduce hard limiting.

NorthSky

Major Contributor
If what you say is right, then we need something else than the music video posted in the first post of this thread, from the OP. Am I correct in this deduction? Or is it good enough to evaluate the distortion level, even if isn't the master recording?

In a more balanced way it is good enough for me. That plus the music genre, without extreme prejudice.

We love buying the music we like, like Beethoven, Mozart, Chopin, Coltrane, Getz, Rollins, Monk, Hooker, Waters, ... and we like it well recorded, elegant, shining, raw, in the now...all that jazz. If it was available on tapes for money we can spend every weekend we would all live in a perfect world. Short of that we manage with what suits us next best.
Our hi-fi setups are all different; valves, vacuum tubes, solid state, ICE, Mosfet, Bipolar, Darlington transistors, horns, direct radiators, pistons, Kevlar, beryllium, domes, ribbon, diamond, silver, gold, ...
That all too has an overall effect on bad music recordings.
But never ever shall we purchase bad music and bad music recording quality, or it'll irritate the life out of us.

We all have different taste and different age. Today's kids have different music taste too; influenced by the YouTube videos and pop and rap music stars.
We love out kids, they are growing up. Us too we grew up.

We love life's simplicity, without losing perspective of what good music recording quality is, and accommodating our music taste. We're all different, molecules in space, clusters of them in an infinite universe. We try our best, not everybody does; certainly not the team who did that recording and the artist's own rendition.

So, that was a good example of what to stay faraway from, wasn't it.

Last edited:

NorthSky

Major Contributor
That's exactly what I'm saying; can we measure only the YouTube video and listen to it and come to an objective evaluation?
I don't want the master, I can't stand that type of music.
She's fine in that YouTube video sticker.

I said that I like life's simplicity.
And here she sounds horrendous, irritating to the extreme, very painful to the ears and soul of music lovers, and a bad recording crew.

But it's cool we elaborated on the music business, the low side of quality, YouTube alteration, compression and all the sadness presence here.
We know the bit rate, we know that there are much better YouTube recordings using the same big rate and less manipulated and abominably mechanical from zombie land.

She should be fired, and her crew too.

sofrep811

That LP by Ingrid was received well by critics, but that's my first listen and I didn't like it much. The synths that come in before the 20 second mark sound like they're clipping and then the mix never opens up as I expected it to open. Not sure if posting on Youtube hinders SQ?

Guermantes

With all the DSP grunt now available, even in mobile devices, the producers should give us music without mastering compression and allow us to apply presets to shape and compress the sound to our preference or situation.

Some suggestions:
1. No effect
2. Classic Lounge Room (light dynamic range compression)
3. Rock'n'roll (give that bass some oomph but let me hear the vocals)
4. In-car (FM Radio-style limiter)
5. Party party party (the beat is everything)
6. Louder+saturation (hell, yeah!)
7. Turn it up to eleven, my hearing's shot anyway!

Dismayed

Maybe you should try a better source than YouTube. Or is YouTube streaming CD quality or higher now?

I checked the CD-quality recording on Tidal. It's just as bad as the Youtube version.

Timbo2

With all the DSP grunt now available, even in mobile devices, the producers should give us music without mastering compression and allow us to apply presets to shape and compress the sound to our preference or situation.

Some suggestions:
1. No effect

If they did that we'd actually hear how bad the talent is for so many pop singers!

The way it is currently hides this issue in the din and distortion.

Dismayed

Some suggestions:
1. No effect

Do they have to give up Autotune, too?

NTTY

I love this forum. Each time I read a subject, a new world opens to me and I spend hours on the web searching for references/documentations/whatever allows me to get what you're talking about. Super interesting.

And this one subject really pleases me because I was like of wondering if it was just with me, but no, not at all, it's obviously an ongoing war.

I still don't understand all the measures shown on the site you've mentioned (DR.loudness-war.info), but I checked a specific record which is the Oscar Peterson Trio - We get Requests: http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/list?artist=oscar+peterson&album=we+get+requests

I bought all the CD versions over the years of this album, including the SACD from Analogue Production and the latest CD release (UHQCD). In fact I was puzzled when I stepped into wanting SACD records (thanks to the Marketing guys) and the version did not sound the same at all. I initially thought "this is the beauty of SACD", but it sounded too different. I searched on the web and discovered it was a new mix/master from the original three tracks, so it could indeed sound different :) I even bought the Vinyl version of this Analogue Production remaster to check :)

I then found many people saying the K2HD release was the best of all, and to my hears not at all. It brought even more confusion to me. So I wondered, what's wrong with me? On my perspective, the K2HD plays louder, and this is it. And it makes it very difficult to compare to the initial release. I had to use two similar D/A converters and adjust their levels to be able to compare in the best possible way to confirm my initial feeling.

K2HD Analogue to Digital process is supposed to be much better, as per their documentation. So I was like "Ok, but then why is it louder?"
Now I think I get it.

I'm not sure how to read the DR reviews I've linked above (help welcome :) ), but I see there's only one comment on the K2HD and of course it says "Outstanding quality" o_O

In the end, my initial release of 1997 is still the one I prefer but the UHQCD latest release is nice too, although I did not play it much. To be honest, I was at this time looking at my library of CDs and was telling myself "This is it man, you'll have to stick to this for the rest of your life, not much more you can expect from the industry".

This is a story from 2 years ago. I did not buy that much music since then, compared to the dozens of CD I was purchasing per week in the past.

Unfortunately, I recently tried to buy "HD" tracks from the web. And first one I went with is of course a new release of this Album (just to be sure of the quality). Amazingly, the tape used to create the Digital version is not running at the correct speed!!! Believe me or not, this is really outrageous. The guys refunded me not without mentioning I was the first customer to complain...

This last story made me very sad, and I am now very reluctant to purchase anything new or "re-released". The UHQCD version lets me think there's hope somewhere, though.

All of this might not be new to you guys, but it is to me. So thank you again for creating such interesting discussions.

Cheers

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Unfortunately, I recently tried to buy "HD" tracks from the web. And first one I went with is of course a new release of this Album (just to be sure of the quality). Amazingly, the tape used to create the Digital version is not running at the correct speed!!! Believe me or not, this is really outrageous. The guys refunded me not without mentioning I was the first customer to complain...
Wow, I had not heard that. Wonder who mastered that HD version.

Guermantes

K2HD Analogue to Digital process is supposed to be much better, as per their documentation. So I was like "Ok, but then why is it louder?"
Now I think I get it.

I'm not sure how to read the DR reviews I've linked above (help welcome :) ), but I see there's only one comment on the K2HD and of course it says "Outstanding quality" o_O

In the end, my initial release of 1997 is still the one I prefer but the UHQCD latest release is nice too, although I did not play it much. To be honest, I was at this time looking at my library of CDs and was telling myself "This is it man, you'll have to stick to this for the rest of your life, not much more you can expect from the industry".

Just from the DR statistics in that link, I would choose the UHQCD or SACD versions because the peak values are under 0 dB FS and the dynamic range looks to be good, but you say the SACD is a remix so that might be a minus or a plus depending on how it has been done.

The 1997 CD looks okay too but the peak values are at 0 dB FS which might cause some DACs to distort. The K2HD version has a lot of overs in the peak values which is a red flag -- the signal might have been clipped even if just momentarily.

But all this is without hearing the EQ and level choices made by the mastering engineer which will be a big influence on the sound and probably why you prefer the 1997 version (nostalgia might also be a factor, if it was your first version).

I have some K2HD/XRCD CDs. I might put them through the DR Meter and see how they look.

- Richard

Wombat

Master Contributor
Just from the DR statistics in that link, I would choose the UHQCD or SACD versions because the peak values are under 0 dB FS and the dynamic range looks to be good, but you say the SACD is a remix so that might be a minus or a plus depending on how it has been done.

The 1997 CD looks okay too but the peak values are at 0 dB FS which might cause some DACs to distort. The K2HD version has a lot of overs in the peak values which is a red flag -- the signal might have been clipped even if just momentarily.

But all this is without hearing the EQ and level choices made by the mastering engineer which will be a big influence on the sound and probably why you prefer the 1997 version (nostalgia might also be a factor, if it was your first version).

I have some K2HD/XRCD CDs. I might put them through the DR Meter and see how they look.

- Richard

Interesting. I am awaiting delivery of an original pressing CD of this album. 1983 pressing(Germany)per Discogs/1984 release per Seller.

(Verve reissued this Cd in 2005 in the UK with the same EAN/catalogue number. I guess for $US 5.00 incl postage I win either way). o_O

This used to be a popular HiFi demo album, especially for Ray Brown's bass sound.

NTTY

Thank you for your replies.

I realized I got confused when reading the DR site.

Fact is I also have the Germany 1983 release. I think I bought it right after the K2HD, and for some reasons I totally forgot about it. Maybe I was unhappy of my discoveries at the time :)

@Richard: About nostalgia, this is exactly what my wife told me when we ran some tests together. She plays the piano and has a better hearing than me. We listened to the SACD and 1997 release, and both preferred the later. That's when she brought the idea that it's the one version we are used to listen to, so our memory tend to go to this one. The SACD version is good, but different. Nothing we can have against it, but we always ended up preferring the 1997 release.

@Wombat: That's your message which reminded me about that 1983 version. It's exactly the one I have (Germany - 810 047-2).

So, I decided to run some additional tests :)

Here below are the 4 CDs I have:

Oscar01.jpg

From top left to bottom right:
- (1983) - Germany - 810 047-2 (Initial Release)
- (1997) - US - 314 521 442-2 (Verve Master Release)
- (2009) - US - LIM K2HD 032 (K2HD Version)
- (2017) - Japan - UCCU-8004 (UHQ version)

I ripped all the CDs into WAV (on the same PC) and then ran the DR test. Here are the results (same order as above):

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Analyzed folder: \Oscar Peterson Trio - We Get Requests (1983) - Germany - 810 047-2\
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DR Peak RMS Filename

DR11 -2.74 dB -16.54 dB 01 Corcovado (Quiet Nights of Quiet Stars).wav
DR13 -0.14 dB -15.28 dB 02 The Days of Wine and Roses.wav
DR12 -2.62 dB -19.21 dB 03 My One and Only Love.wav
DR12 -0.59 dB -15.08 dB 04 People.wav
DR13 -0.40 dB -16.53 dB 05 Have You Met Miss Jones-.wav
DR13 -1.83 dB -17.83 dB 06 You Look Good to Me.wav
DR12 -1.40 dB -15.88 dB 07 The Girl from Ipanema.wav
DR12 -0.37 dB -16.44 dB 08 D & E.wav
DR12 -4.40 dB -21.91 dB 09 Time and Again.wav
DR13 -0.00 dB -16.01 dB 10 Goodbye, J.D.wav

Number of files: 10
Official DR value: DR12

==============================================================================================

Analyzed folder: \Oscar Peterson Trio - We Get Requests (1997) - US - 314 521 442-2\
DR Peak RMS Filename

DR12 -0.00 dB -15.14 dB 01 Corcovado (Quiet Nights of Quiet Stars).wav
DR15 -0.00 dB -16.42 dB 02 The Days of Wine and Roses.wav
DR13 -1.85 dB -20.55 dB 03 My One and Only Love.wav
DR14 -0.00 dB -16.75 dB 04 People.wav
DR15 -0.00 dB -19.48 dB 05 Have You Met Miss Jones-.wav
DR14 over -17.63 dB 06 You Look Good to Me.wav
DR11 -0.00 dB -13.82 dB 07 The Girl from Ipanema.wav
DR13 over -16.83 dB 08 D & E.wav
DR13 -3.81 dB -22.96 dB 09 Time and Again.wav
DR13 over -14.95 dB 10 Goodbye, J.D.wav

Official DR value: DR13

==============================================================================================

Analyzed folder: \Oscar Peterson Trio - We Get Requests (2009) - US - LIM K2HD 032\
DR Peak RMS Filename

DR11 over -15.06 dB 01 You Look Good To Me.wav
DR13 -0.18 dB -18.27 dB 02 Time and Again.wav
DR12 -0.17 dB -16.54 dB 03 My One and Only Love.wav
DR10 -0.09 dB -12.27 dB 04 Corcovado (Quiet Night of Quiet Stars).wav
DR12 over -14.02 dB 05 The Day of Wine and Roses.wav
DR12 over -13.45 dB 06 People.wav
DR12 over -15.78 dB 07 Have You Met Miss Jones-.wav
DR10 over -12.06 dB 08 The Girl From Ipanema.wav
DR13 over -15.80 dB 09 D. & E.wav
DR11 over -12.39 dB 10 Goodbye J.D.wav

Official DR value: DR12

Analyzed folder: \Oscar Peterson Trio - We Get Requests (2017) - Japan - UCCU-8004\
DR Peak RMS Filename

DR12 -0.20 dB -16.67 dB 01 Corcovado (Quiet Nights of Quiet Stars).wav
DR14 -0.20 dB -16.22 dB 02 The Days of Wine and Roses.wav
DR13 -1.89 dB -20.34 dB 03 My One and Only Love.wav
DR14 -0.20 dB -16.43 dB 04 People.wav
DR14 -0.20 dB -18.12 dB 05 Have You Met Miss Jones-.wav
DR13 -0.20 dB -17.26 dB 06 You Look Good to Me.wav
DR13 -0.20 dB -16.16 dB 07 The Girl from Ipanema.wav
DR13 -0.20 dB -17.13 dB 08 D & E.wav
DR13 -3.76 dB -23.17 dB 09 Time and Again.wav
DR14 -0.20 dB -16.75 dB 10 Goodbye, J.D.wav

Official DR value: DR13

Pay attention to the fact that tracks are in a different order on the K2HD...

I then did a very quick test of the song "You Look Good To Me" (it's the one I prefer) of each release.

I used 4 different headsets to average my perceptions:

Oscar05.jpg

As you can see, HD650, HiFiman 400i, Oppo PM-3 and an Audio-Technica ATH-M50x.

I didn't have the time to un-box the RME Audio ADI2-DAC (that I purchased based on the good review of Amir here) but I will test again in the future.

On the headsets side, I like the Audio Technica because it is a kind of magnifier. It easily reveals a lot of things, although it's not my preferred one to enjoy music. But that does not matter much at the moment.

Find below my quick review for each album (track "You Look Good To Me" only):
- (1983) - Germany - 810 047-2 (Initial Release) : Tons of distorsion!! I think my current amplifier (tube) does not help here. The test with the RME will be welcome. Anyway, from 3min, there's a lot of distorsion, not good at all and with all headsets. EDIT: same result on my standard home HiFi system, very bad.
- (1997) - US - 314 521 442-2 (Verve Master Release) : Distorsion is almost gone, and it is audible only with the Audio Technica (it might be my amplifier, I'll confirm with the RME later).
- (2009) - US - LIM K2HD 032 (K2HD Version) : It plays much louder! It is very complicated to compare. Behind the scene, I think it is the same source (same master) but I have the feeling it's been digitally EQed after ADC. I can't be sure but it sounds "all over the place", pushing some frequencies and compressing others, but never the same throughout the track. I don't like the end result, for sure.
- (2017) - Japan - UCCU-8004 (UHQ version) : Distorsion is gone, even with the Audio Technica. This version sounds like a clean release of the 1997 I have. I really like it. I did not play it much, but it could be my preferred one. More tests requires :)

There you go. It could be the demonstration of the beginning of the end of a war. I hope so. The UHQ version sounds really better on my perspective. So I'm happy that we made tangible progress here.

I also tested the SACD version (PS3 Rip to ISO) and the DSD files from store.acousticsounds.com
There's a lot to say there, but it's for next time :)

Cheers

palamudin

DSD one.

foobar2000 1.4 beta 17 / Dynamic Range Meter 1.1.1
log date: 2018-06-15 13:39:57

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Analyzed: The Oscar Peterson Trio / We Get Requests
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR Peak RMS Duration Track
DR13 -1.82 dB -16.95 dB 2:54 01-Quiet Nights Of Quiet Stars (Corcovado)
DR15 0.00 dB -16.58 dB 2:44 02-Days Of Wine And Roses
DR13 -2.24 dB -18.88 dB 5:12 03-My One And Only Love
DR14 0.00 dB -16.91 dB 3:35 04-People
DR15 0.00 dB -18.00 dB 4:14 05-Have You Met Miss Jones?
DR14 -0.08 dB -17.27 dB 4:53 06-You Look Good To Me
DR12 -0.76 dB -16.04 dB 3:55 07-The Girl From Ipanema
DR14 -1.06 dB -18.26 dB 5:15 08-D. & E.
DR13 -4.16 dB -20.63 dB 4:39 09-Time And Again
DR14 -1.46 dB -17.76 dB 3:06 10-Goodbye J.D.

Number of tracks: 10
Official DR value: DR14

Samplerate: 2822400 Hz / PCM Samplerate: 352800 Hz
Channels: 2
Bits per sample: 1
Bitrate: 5645 kbps
Codec: DSD64

palamudin

As an avid fan of drum and bass music (stop frowning RIGHT NOW) i was interested in measurement of dynamic range of various artists. Key word "was". I 'member in the early days of atmospheric dnb there was air and depth in the music that kinda died out and got replaced with endless droning and mashing of self produced sounds through vst tools. Bad Company (not affiliated with rock band) is famous in dnb scene as a long lasting "band" so they were my first pick to check them out. Im sharing the results (even tho everyone knows the results are garbage). Along with garbage results of mentioned Bad Company we have NZ Concord Dawn, not doing any better im afraid.

Statistics for: 01-Nitrous (Audio Remix)
Number of samples: 13017103
Duration: 4:55

Left Right

Peak Value: 0.00 dB --- 0.00 dB
Avg RMS: -4.40 dB --- -4.59 dB
DR channel: 2.30 dB --- 2.46 dB

Official DR Value: DR2

Samplerate: 44100 Hz
Bits per sample: 16
Bitrate: 1035 kbps
Codec: FLAC

Analyzed: Bad Company UK / Book Of The Bad

DR6 -0.10 dB -7.47 dB 7:31 01-Blind
DR9 -1.00 dB -12.17 dB 7:00 02-Dogs on the moon
DR6 -0.74 dB -9.25 dB 6:00 03-The Voice
DR8 -0.10 dB -9.23 dB 7:10 04-Numbers
DR9 -0.10 dB -11.23 dB 6:00 05-Spider
DR6 -0.10 dB -9.01 dB 4:55 06-Miami flashback
DR10 -0.10 dB -11.69 dB 6:42 07-Riptide
DR5 -0.65 dB -7.81 dB 7:11 08-Planet dust
DR8 -0.10 dB -10.50 dB 6:14 09-Storyteller
DR8 -0.10 dB -10.32 dB 6:36 10-Believe
DR9 -1.00 dB -11.50 dB 8:15 11-Running man
DR8 -1.00 dB -11.26 dB 6:26 12-Grunge 2
DR9 -1.00 dB -12.92 dB 6:47 13-Ladies of Spain
DR7 0.00 dB -8.87 dB 6:29 14-Atlantis remix
DR6 -0.10 dB -8.62 dB 5:37 15-Rodeo
DR8 -0.10 dB -9.84 dB 7:18 16-Mindgames

Number of tracks: 16
Official DR value: DR8

Bits per sample: 16
Bitrate: 1001 kbps
Codec: FLAC

Analyzed: Concord Dawn / Concord Dawn 2000

DR8 0.00 dB -10.63 dB 5:26 01-Styx
DR8 0.00 dB -10.88 dB 6:20 02-6.13
DR9 0.00 dB -10.49 dB 6:05 03-Strangers
DR7 0.00 dB -9.99 dB 7:30 04-Haemorrahage
DR8 0.00 dB -10.82 dB 7:09 05-Disease
DR7 0.00 dB -9.24 dB 8:10 06-T.N.T.
DR7 0.00 dB -9.93 dB 6:15 07-Killsaw
DR8 0.00 dB -10.38 dB 7:13 08-Vengeance
DR5 0.00 dB -9.86 dB 19:50 09-The Fallen

Number of tracks: 9
Official DR value: DR8

Bitrate: 320 kbps
Codec: MP3

Analyzed: Concord Dawn / Twilight 2008

DR7 0.00 dB -7.97 dB 1:40 15-The Big Spanking
DR7 0.00 dB -7.89 dB 3:57 24-Monster Walk
DR7 0.00 dB -7.33 dB 1:28 14-Line Of Sight
DR7 0.00 dB -8.88 dB 3:35 19-So Far Apart
DR7 0.00 dB -7.68 dB 1:34 25-Crime Side
DR7 0.00 dB -7.70 dB 1:50 10-Ice Age
DR8 0.00 dB -8.48 dB 2:12 13-Scream To The Stars
DR7 0.00 dB -7.97 dB 2:12 12-Out Your Head
DR6 0.00 dB -7.02 dB 3:41 02-Yo!!!
DR7 0.00 dB -8.07 dB 2:35 27-Out Of Focus
DR7 0.00 dB -7.57 dB 2:12 23-Don't Tell Me
DR7 0.00 dB -7.91 dB 2:14 05-Man For All Seasons [Chris Su and SKC remix]
DR7 0.00 dB -8.39 dB 3:02 16-Broken Eyes
DR7 0.00 dB -7.23 dB 2:07 20-Chloroform [State Of Mind Remix]
DR7 0.00 dB -7.35 dB 1:39 22-Take It As It Comes
DR7 0.00 dB -9.06 dB 1:28 26-Morning light
DR9 0.00 dB -11.84 dB 2:12 01-Junglefunk
DR7 0.00 dB -7.79 dB 2:18 17-Twin Peaks
DR7 0.00 dB -7.51 dB 2:40 09-Genesis
DR7 0.00 dB -7.59 dB 2:55 04-Shadowfax
DR7 0.00 dB -8.05 dB 4:03 11-Bloody Five
DR7 0.00 dB -7.62 dB 3:30 06-Vigilante
DR7 0.00 dB -7.90 dB 4:14 21-Cypher
DR7 0.00 dB -8.02 dB 1:39 03-Deviants
DR7 0.00 dB -7.84 dB 1:39 07-Generator
DR7 0.00 dB -8.21 dB 4:19 08-Tingod
DR7 0.00 dB -8.23 dB 2:01 18-Mindless

Number of tracks: 27
Official DR value: DR7

Bitrate: 320 kbps
Codec: MP3

Top Bottom