• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Bad recording/master: it is a crime!!!

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Along with garbage results of mentioned Bad Company we have NZ Concord Dawn, not doing any better im afraid.
That's not music, just loud pink noise with a heavy rhythm. :(

JanRSmit

Just found this thread. Sadly it is the histrory repeating itself. When stereo LP records appeared in the late 50's the dynamics on the record were phenomenal. But the equipment to play them , rather poor. Also the demand for more minutes of music together made the industry to reduce dynamics. If memory serves me well, it was on the 1974 new year speech that the big boss of EMI said something like: "nice those multi channel recording techniques, but i prefer the 2 or 3 channel tape recording, as that is music" .
In the late seventies Jean Hiraga (L'audiophile) demonstrated the huge difference in dynamics of record player cartridges, the Shore and Stanton and Ortofon being the biggest offenders. At that time the only pre-amplifiers that could fully deal with the dynamics, using.i a vdHul modified EMT mc cartridge were electronics without any feedback. Be it tube or transistor, provided the transistors or tubes had enough idle current running them also hotter than normal those days.
Then came the CD, but about at the same time portable players emerged, discman and ghetto blasters. As these are not made for playing high dynamics, but the owners were buying CD's en masse. Thus CD's were mixed and mastered to play well on these devices, so no real bass, but instead some boom around 80-100Hz, and limited dynamics. Also distorsion was deliberately added, as that made the sound appear more loud.
And so on. Parallel to this there was also the different concepts of the recording, just 2 or 3 mic's or a mic on every instrument and voice, the european way versus the american way etc.
To summarize, it is not so much the technical dimension, more the commercial dimension, i.o.w. make much money instead of spending money on quality. I recently read somewhere that 75% of the music rights is owned by just 3 companies. They are there for the shareholder value, not for the best possible music reproduction.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This thread sums up why most of the debate on audio misses the point. Rubbish in = rubbish out. If you play crap on a state of the art system you still get crap. Conversely a high quality recording will still shine on a very modest system. Peter Aczel summed it up very well years ago.

vert

Forum Donor
Years ago, I remember Bob Dylan complaining about the recording quality of an album, Modern Times, I think. So apparently even Bob Dylan doesn't have a say. Personnally I've been disappointed with many recent jazz recordings. Is it a matter of money or skills, or both? On the other hand recording is supposed to have become cheaper than it's ever been. It's a bit hard to understand. Sinatra's Live at the Sands, with the Count Basie Orchestra and Quincy Jones directing, a favorite of mine, blows my mind every time performance-wise, but I also feel the recording is incredibly good, and it's 1965 or something. Granted, Sinatra was a superstar with access to the best and was a sound freak himself, but still.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A lot of the classical recordings I enjoy date back to the 60's and 70's with quite a few from the 50's. Yes there is a bit of hiss in the background but otherwise they remain excellent recordings which shame most modern pop recordings. If the recording engineers of 50 years ago could make recordings that still sound impressive it's a pretty damming indictment of the current state of recordings.

mitchco

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Audio Company
Fidlar - Can't You See. Released Oct 2018. I dig their groove, but... :(

Fidlar - Cant you see.JPG

<PEAK LEVEL (R128)> : +1.3 dBTP; +1.3 Left; +1.3 Right
<PEAK LEVEL (SAMPLE)> : +1.1 dB; +1.0 Left; +1.1 Right

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
The sound of 00 DR in 24/48 high resolution none the less.
Talk about a quality recording :mad:
Do people really listen to this?

KK NULL EXTROPY GROUND ZERO (24-bit/48kHz)

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

DuxServit

Forum Donor
One easy way is to use Amazon reviews. If a recording is badly engineered, then saying so on Amazon helps other buyers. Also may get the attention of the artist.

Don’t get too technical in your review, because the majority of readers are not audiophiles. The shorter the better.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
One easy way is to use Amazon reviews. If a recording is badly engineered, then saying so on Amazon helps other buyers. Also may get the attention of the artist.

Don’t get too technical in your review, because the majority of readers are not audiophiles. The shorter the better.

I love reading Amazon reviews as you get the full range from reviews that shame published reviews in magazines right through to full on swivel eyed bonkers stuff and people blaming Amazon because they ordered the wrong thing. My favourites are the ones that erupt into volcanic fury as they give some artistic master piece a one star review because they identify some trivial error in a 700 page academic tome. And yet, as I say, some Amazon reviews are outstanding.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
The sound of 00 DR in 24/48 high resolution none the less.
Talk about a quality recording :mad:
Do people really listen to this?

KK NULL EXTROPY GROUND ZERO (24-bit/48kHz)
Wow, what the heck was that!

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Maybe I'll do a recording running white noise and other assorted sounds into Audicity at a 0 db level. Attach some satanic name to a fictional band and do a self release on ebay. Bet I can make some money. ;)

captain paranoia

Attach some satanic name to a fictional band and do a self release on ebay. Bet I can make some money.

A colleague subscribes to 'Terrorizer' magazine, which has a free cover disc 'Fear Candy'. Some of the names are laughably try-hard. "Oh, we so want to be Satanic bad boys..." If not going for the Satanic theme, they go for Tolkien...

I'm not averse to a bit of metal, so I've got the cover discs... I just take it with a big pinch of salt.

svart-hvitt

Major Contributor
Years ago, I remember Bob Dylan complaining about the recording quality of an album, Modern Times, I think. So apparently even Bob Dylan doesn't have a say. Personnally I've been disappointed with many recent jazz recordings. Is it a matter of money or skills, or both? On the other hand recording is supposed to have become cheaper than it's ever been. It's a bit hard to understand. Sinatra's Live at the Sands, with the Count Basie Orchestra and Quincy Jones directing, a favorite of mine, blows my mind every time performance-wise, but I also feel the recording is incredibly good, and it's 1965 or something. Granted, Sinatra was a superstar with access to the best and was a sound freak himself, but still.

FWIW,

the album «Frank Sinatra at the Sands» is available on Qobuz in 16/44, it’s not available on Tidal.

Just an indication that having more than one streaming provider is of value on those rare occasions.

:)

Last edited:
Top Bottom