• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Back to basics. Definition: Analogue audio

pma

Major Contributor
And if you can see the steps, your convertor system needs filters. :(

In the real world, it is even more interesting, as most of the audio DACs are based on multibit S-D topology ;)

dac_ak4381en-1.png

j_j

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
In the real world, it is even more interesting, as most of the audio DACs are based on multibit S-D topology ;)

View attachment 244106
Oddly, or maybe not, you just hit on the next talk, based on a slide deck from back a while ago that you can find on the recaps page for the PNW section called something like "ADC's" or there about.

And, why yes, delta-sigma comes in heavily there.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Looking forward to that! I wrote a few articles here on ASR on sampling and DACs, conventional and delta-sigma. But all I see is frequency-domain stuff; looking back, the follow-on articles that delved more into the time domain aren't here, not sure if they didn't get pulled over by Amir or I never posted them on-line. They were pulled from some presentations to a microwave group so I may not have translated them for audio (that was around the split from WBF). The basics were there but then shifted into using aliasing/images for down- and up-sampling, and bandpass delta-sigmas for X-band radar (~10 GHz) applications. Even played with a Hadamard ADC; looked great on paper for creating a wideband converter with interleaved low-rate versions, but practical realities killed it. Most of the delta-sigma stuff I did was continuous-time, only a few regular old sampled-signal versions. My intro was a class with Dr. Gabor Temes, a very sharp and very funny guy...

Fortunately @j_j has us more than covered; there's a treasure trove on the AES and PNW sites.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Oddly, or maybe not, you just hit on the next talk, based on a slide deck from back a while ago that you can find on the recaps page for the PNW section called something like "ADC's" or there about.

And, why yes, delta-sigma comes in heavily there.
Looking forward to that one as well. Keep us informed.

Top Bottom