• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Back into audio after retiring...(tl;dr Help!)

q3cpma

Major Contributor
You folks have been unbelievably generous in trying to coach an old man back up to speed in audio. While this thread has been going on I've had several back channel discussions with some of you here. I've also renewed contacts with folks in the audio field that I've known from decades back. Several things have become clear. First, even though I'm not trying to build a desktop or near field system, incredibly affordable products and useful technology for those applications have blurred the lines between exclusively near field items and those that can also extend to a listening room.

A second "discovery" involves how many DACs are out there and just how many ways we have to get music to a DAC from phone & laptop. Each of those can be a rabbit hole. Finally, the cost of a great many audio components appears to allow us to build really enjoyable & convenient systems at lower costs than I had imagined. Whether passive or active, cost-effective choices are abundant.

In other words, it looks like this objective approach pays dividends!

Again, I thank each of you for all the suggestions and pointers to great products & information. Back to the rabbit holes....
More carrots for you, the how and why of active crossovers:
https://www.neumann.com/homestudio/en/difference-between-home-stereo-speakers-and-studio-monitors
https://www.dynaudio.com/dynaudio-academy/2017/may/the-benefits-of-an-active-crossover
https://www.linkwitzlab.com/crossovers.htm
https://sound-au.com/bi-amp.htm
https://sound-au.com/bi-amp2.htm
https://sound-au.com/biamp-vs-passive.htm
Only the last site is completely factual and in-depth, but the firsts are a good introduction.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This really is an ideal opportunity to get either 708P or 705P and test out in your home to get an idea of what a good active monitor sounds like.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I wasn't the original deal poster, but I'm glad you love them. I certainly love mine! I wish I had also bought a bunch of 705p to make a surround system or have speakers for other rooms.
https://www.harmanaudio.com/studio-...&prefn4=isSpecialRefurbished&prefn5=isSupport

Go buy now! Half price for B stock 708p and 705p. You can always return them within 30 days. I got 3 705p for second room or 5.1 with 708p.

Nice...

I got another 708p for a center, and a few more 705's for front and rear heights...

That's a great deal for those looking at these.

Tom C

Major Contributor
Just ordered 705P x 3 to round out a 5.1 system. How can B-stock be back ordered? Won't ship for 2-1/2 weeks.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
In store listening led to me overbuying a sub. Not a terrible thing, but I could have done better. Also almost led to buying mediocre, overpriced speakers. No thanks!

I get it, that's cool. As I tried to say, I'm not using my own experience to overule yours. It just depends on the person and I wanted to offer some counter experience. Cheers.

OP
6sigma

6sigma

Forum Donor

These are fantastic & convincing articles.

Wait a minute!!! You're about to change decades of wrong-headedness on my part! These essays make a compelling case for active over passive. When did this get so clear? Early mentions of active speakers had me muttering to myself, "I don't need a PA system. I don't want a home recording studio." But, in an era of file-based audio, the appeal of active speakers is winning me over.

Complete the picture for me, if you have time. From a phone or a laptop across the room, what DAC/control do I need to stream my music to these. Is it is as simple as I'm imagining - no amp, no preamp, no speaker wires, no interconnects?

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Right now you have a DAC/preamp. That might have a built in streamer or not. Run XLR cables to active speakers. You'll have to plug in each active speaker. That is it. A few designs might use a digital connection instead of XLR, but most use XLR still. It can be as simple as streamer/DAC with wifi and it feeding active speakers. Pretty simple to the end user. And the streamer might have both a remote or a companion phone app letting you control it from tablet or phone.

OP
6sigma

6sigma

Forum Donor
Right now you have a DAC/preamp. That might have a built in streamer or not. Run XLR cables to active speakers. You'll have to plug in each active speaker. That is it. A few designs might use a digital connection instead of XLR, but most use XLR still. It can be as simple as streamer/DAC with wifi and it feeding active speakers. Pretty simple to the end user. And the streamer might have both a remote or a companion phone app letting you control it from tablet or phone.

Thank you for painting this picture. Have active speakers for high-end home systems become "a thing" in the last 5 or 10 years, or have I been in a deeper sleep than I thought? In the 1970's & 1980's most serious listeners had the more traditional home system. The pro-audio gear was reserved for that purpose. This is all beginning to click with me and make a lot of sense.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Complete the picture for me, if you have time. From a phone or a laptop across the room, what DAC/control do I need to stream my music to these. Is it is as simple as I'm imagining - no amp, no preamp, no speaker wires, no interconnects?

Lots of potential options for DAC's...many can act as your 'preamp' with various tuning controls, with remote control, Bluetooth, etc.

For my separate powered speakers, I have a Chromecast Audio (discontinued, but still available), and connect via its spdif/optical out into the SMSL M500 DAC, then analog XLR to the speakers. The DAC has its own remote, and also has a headphone amp if that might ever be useful...

With that setup, I can cast to it from phone, computer, whatever using chromecast.

You would have a lot of options giving similar results.

It's a lot easier to get great sound than it used to be.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you for painting this picture. Have active speakers for high-end home systems become "a thing" in the last 5 or 10 years, or have I been in a deeper sleep than I thought? In the 1970's & 1980's most serious listeners had the more traditional home system. The pro-audio gear was reserved for that purpose. This is all beginning to click with me and make a lot of sense.

Not sure how to answer that. It has become more of a thing. I don't think it is mainstream for rigs in a large room like yours. It has become mainstream for desktop and small room systems using monitors. My main complaint is there isn't enough choice among larger speakers yet to pick an active. Though increasingly there are exceptions.

Maybe look at this review of the Dutch&Dutch speakers. The reviewer Kal Rubinson posts here btw.
https://www.stereophile.com/content/dutch-dutch-8c-active-loudspeaker-system

Lots of innovation in fairly small sized speakers that do room EQ and more. Price isn't low at $12.5k, but that is in some ways state of the art performance in a very livable package. This isn't the norm yet, and may or may not ever be the norm. But since you are new (again) to this is worth a look at what is possible.

And here is a similar idea in the Kii Audio Three.
https://www.stereophile.com/content/kii-audio-three-loudspeaker

DownUnderGazza

Forum Donor
Yes, so very much yes!

My ‘bedroom’ system is:
1. Raspberry Pi3 running Volumio
2. SMSL SU-8 DAC, USB in, XLR out
3. JBL 305-mk-1active monitors

I connect to it via The iOS app on my iPhone or iPad to play Web radio, Spotify Connect, AirPlay streaming or from my Mac Mini media server. BLISS!

OP
6sigma

6sigma

Forum Donor
Not sure how to answer that. It has become more of a thing. I don't think it is mainstream for rigs in a large room like yours. It has become mainstream for desktop and small room systems using monitors. My main complaint is there isn't enough choice among larger speakers yet to pick an active. Though increasingly there are exceptions.

Maybe look at this review of the Dutch&Dutch speakers. The reviewer Kal Rubinson posts here btw.
https://www.stereophile.com/content/dutch-dutch-8c-active-loudspeaker-system

Lots of innovation in fairly small sized speakers that do room EQ and more. Price isn't low at $12.5k, but that is in some ways state of the art performance in a very livable package. This isn't the norm yet, and may or may not ever be the norm. But since you are new (again) to this is worth a look at what is possible.

And here is a similar idea in the Kii Audio Three.
https://www.stereophile.com/content/kii-audio-three-loudspeaker

While I've been coming up to speed these past days - largely here & with Toole's book - I've got a couple of friends beating the drum for a company that makes both active & passive speakers for home audio use. In other words, they are designed to look like home speakers while carrying all the positive attributes of active speakers. Also, as you point out, Bruno Putzeys' Kii Three is in the game. I'll stop gushing, but I'm just surprised to realize what's possible with active designs and how many there are.

I'll say it again...thank you for your patience & willingness to educate. The links & pointers have been invaluable to me.

OP
6sigma

6sigma

Forum Donor
Yes, so very much yes!

My ‘bedroom’ system is:
1. Raspberry Pi3 running Volumio
2. SMSL SU-8 DAC, USB in, XLR out
3. JBL 305-mk-1active monitors

I connect to it via The iOS app on my iPhone or iPad to play Web radio, Spotify Connect, AirPlay streaming or from my Mac Mini media server. BLISS!

Wow...just wow! Now it's beginning to click. I'll get back to the sounds soon, but I'm still reeling over the architecture that is possible! I feel like I've been under a rock. :)

OP
6sigma

6sigma

Forum Donor
tl;dr...$2000-$3000 audio system recommendations for electronics & speakers for an old man?

When I started this thread back in February, I was impressed with all the suggestions/recommendations. Late April I went down with some health issues and am only now returning. @Blumlein 88 had given some great advice about using the JBL LSR305P to get back into & learn modern digital audio. The active vs. passive speaker options for home audio were all new to me.

Here I am with all my objectives changed, but many of the same questions. The changed plans involve a budget from $2000 to $3000 for electronics and speakers. Looks like my source will be some streaming source, but unclear which one. At age 66 I can't hear the difference in a 320 MP3 and a FLAC file. A friend gave me a couple of (unopened) Chromecast Audios, if useful. The room will be 12' x 18' with an 8' ceiling. Music tastes haven't changed, but circumstances mean I'll likely live with this investment for longer than I anticipated in my original plan.

Has anything really noteworthy come along in the audio offerings since February? I'm about to start back at the beginning of this thread & remind myself of all that was recommended. However, I'm ready to abbreviate my audio research and buy something so that I can get started listening to music again. Thanks for all the help you provided in February and any new suggestions you make.

Happy Holidays to each of you and your extended families!

Daverz

Major Contributor
tl;dr...$2000-$3000 audio system recommendations for electronics & speakers for an old man?

When I started this thread back in February, I was impressed with all the suggestions/recommendations. Late April I went down with some health issues and am only now returning. @Blumlein 88 had given some great advice about using the JBL LSR305P to get back into & learn modern digital audio. The active vs. passive speaker options for home audio were all new to me.

If you go the JBL powered speaker route, electronics could be as simple as a Raspberry Pi (for streaming) connected to a DAC with volume control (e.g. Topping E30).

Colonel7

Addicted to Fun and Learning

Here I am with all my objectives changed, but many of the same questions. The changed plans involve a budget from $2000 to $3000 for electronics and speakers. Looks like my source will be some streaming source, but unclear which one. At age 66 I can't hear the difference in a 320 MP3 and a FLAC file. A friend gave me a couple of (unopened) Chromecast Audios, if useful. The room will be 12' x 18' with an 8' ceiling. Music tastes haven't changed, but circumstances mean I'll likely live with this investment for longer than I anticipated in my original plan.

Has anything really noteworthy come along in the audio offerings since February? I'm about to start back at the beginning of this thread & remind myself of all that was recommended. However, I'm ready to abbreviate my audio research and buy something so that I can get started listening to music again. Thanks for all the help you provided in February and any new suggestions you make.

Happy Holidays to each of you and your extended families!
The thing that has changed is the large amount of speakers that Amir has measured , and together with @hardisj from Erin's Audio Corner and @napilopez there are a lot to choose from.

Your budget and room size have decreased a bit but are still substantial. Getting Chromecast Audios is great because you seriously don't need more for streaming and its dac is plenty good if you have an optical in, plus plenty of cheap great performing dacs if you need one. More money for other things.

Genelec, Neumann, JBL and Adam on the active side, plus the new KEF LS50 Wireless 2 Meta is a substantial improvement over the old. That's a very convenient one.

Passive: Revel F35 or M105, or passive LS50 meta. I'll throw out the Philarmonic BMR as an option you probably haven't heard before and which Erin has measured. It'd be great for your use case when you have guests and need it to perform with people moving about and not at a smaller sweet spot. BMR Designer Dennis Murphy was recently looking for members to sign up for in-home auditions bc he was going on a road tour to show off the new driver and finish, not sure if that has filled up yet.

With the passives think about an amp for $500-600 from member Buckeye amps who builds Hypex at practically cost. Otherwise a steady performer like a Yamaha 701 that has an optical in and lineouts to add subwoofers if desired.

With the F35 open box/outlet price you'd have $ left for a subwoofers and DSP solution. Crutchfield has a very generous audition and return policy...

Top Bottom