• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

BACCH4Mac Pro Edition: a report

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I had an issue a few months ago where for some reason they were not getting my emails. Possibly a similar issue. Have you tried to contact Edgar directly
Well I contacted Dr Choueri directly with the Email you provided. Did it on May 11 which was six days ago, and crickets. All I really wanted was the answer to two simple questions:

(1) What was Theoretica's upgrade policy? Specifically, I wanted to know how much I would be charged if I started with the introductory version and wanted to upgrade to the Audiophile or the Audiophile+, or the Pro Edition at a latter point in time.

(2) I also wanted to know if it was possible to purchase one of the upgraded packages without the Babyface interface, and if it would be possible to make the system work with another interface such as a Motu M4.

In think those are both perfectly reasonable questions. If they're not selling a lot of units, then their lack of responsiveness could have something to do with it.

Their system has been in the market for years, and even highly informed audiophiles barely know about it. Small wonder if this is how they treat potential customers.

Sir Sanders Zingmore

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Well I contacted Dr Choueri directly with the Email you provided. Did it on May 11 which was six days ago, and crickets. All I really wanted was the answer to two simple questions:

(1) What was Theoretica's upgrade policy? Specifically, I wanted to know how much I would be charged if I started with the introductory version and wanted to upgrade to the Audiophile or the Audiophile+, or the Pro Edition at a latter point in time.

(2) I also wanted to know if it was possible to purchase one of the upgraded packages without the Babyface interface, and if it would be possible to make the system work with another interface such as a Motu M4.

In think those are both perfectly reasonable questions. If they're not selling a lot of units, then their lack of responsiveness could have something to do with it.

Their system has been in the market for years, and even highly informed audiophiles barely know about it. Small wonder if this is how they treat potential customers.
I can assure you that when they get your emails, their service is exemplary.
I think (from my experience anyway) it’s a case of them not replying because they simply don't know you’ve contacted them

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Good news. I did hear back from Dr. Choureri. And, as I suspected, it is indeed possible to dispense with the purchase of the Babyface if you have another interface such as an M4. This will lower the price of the Audiophile package by $700. Also possible to pay only the price increment to upgrade the package from one tier to another.

So it would be possible, for example, to buy the introductory software for $980, and, if you like it, pay another $3300 at a time of your choosing to upgrade to the Audiophile package--provided you already have your own interface.

Obviously, this makes it a more sensible, if still expensive purchase. If it doesn't work for you, you would find out on the introductory version and only be out $980, an expensive but manageable downside. The upside could be something amazing. Maybe.

A possible project for next year after I get a Mac Mini M1.

Theoretica Appl. Physics

Audio Company
I also do not understand why they package the Babyface with the upgraded package. As far as I can see, Babyface is just a garden variety audio interface, and I already own one in the Motu M4. What exactly does the Babyface do that's so integral to the operation of the system, and could not any other interface likewise do the same thing? Obviously, not having to buy a Babyface would reduce the cost of the package by a $1000, so that would make it a more reasonable purchase, particularly if you knew where to get a Mac Mini for cheap.

The audio interface is only needed to get the BACCH-Bm binaural mic signal to the Mac. Indeed, while we still recommend the RME interfaces (the BabyFace Pro FS or, in the case the BACCH-Xover module is used, the UCX II) because of their electronically well-matched and ganged Left-Right gains on the stereo mic pre, we have introduced in version 10.1 of BACCH-dSP a new mic gain calibration feature that allows perfectly matching the L-R gains using a simple procedure that relies on BACCH-dSP playing a 1 kHz sine wave played through the left speaker. This feature allows the user to use any USB audio interface that has a decent stereo mic pre (even those where the L & R gains are set manually and are thus neither ganged or well-matched). Many such USB audio interfaces are available at a cost that is lower than that of the RME interfaces.

Adam at Theoretica

p.s. Apologies for replicating the same reply I gave on another forum.

kthulhutu

Has anyone tried this demo:
I'm using the Genelec 8341A in ultra nearfield which are already beastly good at imaging with Bacch bypassed in my treated room.
But the difference with Bacch is quite profound. I have pretty good XTC levels (13 db average and decent channel matching) and with Bacch the panning effect changes to become almost indistinguishable from a floating phantom speaker, much like the phantom centre itself is moving. I noticed the ITD cues become as convincing as the ILD cues whereas with Bacch off they sounded less precise.

I think Theoretica could benefit from showing newcomers this simple video.

Top Bottom