• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

BA15218F Headphone OPA - Performance?

NSX

I would like to buy an external DAC for my Notebook.

Straight forward option would be to buy a simple DAC without headphone amplifier like the Topping D10s, which I could connect it to my Yamaha amplifier. The amplifier routes the Line-In signal to a BA15218F OPA for headphone amplification.

Yamaha.png

What do you think about this op amp?

https://www.mouser.de/datasheet/2/348/ba15218f-e-1873464.pdf

Do the DACs with dedicated headphone amplifier - like lets say FiiO K3 - outperform the Yamaha with its BA15218F?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
It isn't clear what is behind the opamp nor what its voltage is. What Yamaha ?

JayGilb

Major Contributor
Well, it's an opamp and Yamaha chose it to drive the headphone output on their amp...
It isn't clear what is behind the opamp nor what its voltage is. What Yamaha ?
Looks like +-12 vdc
As @solderdude mentioned model information on the Yamaha would be helpful. Maybe an ASR member has the same Yamaha and could chime in with their opinion ?

OP
N

NSX

It isn't clear what is behind the opamp nor what its voltage is.
Looks like +-12 vdc
Yamaha2.png

Yamaha3.png

Model information on the Yamaha would be helpful. Maybe an ASR member has the same Yamaha and could chime in with their opinion ?

The reason why I didn't mention a specific model is because I think that it is better to keep the discussion on a somewhat technical/objective level. People may like or dislike a certain model.

From what I see as non-professional, Yamaha seem to put a little bit efforts in designing the headphone amp.

My Idea is just, that connecting a pure DAC without any nick-nacks via line-in could be more beneficial in regards of sound qualtity. In addition Yamaha offers a "Pure Direct" switch, which - as far as I understand - would route the DAC output more or less directly into the yamaha headphone amp.

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
A 100ohm output R makes sense.
The opamp can only supply 35mA and 8V.
So chances are the Yamaha output may well have a 'sound signature' with some low impedance headphones.
It does seem like the typical afterthought headphone out.

Last edited:
OP
N

NSX

A 100ohm output R makes sense.
The opamp can only supply 35mA and 8V.
So chances are the Yamaha output may well have a 'sound signature' with some low impedance headphones.
It does seem like the typical afterthought headphone out.
Ok, Thank you... I ordered a D10s and will give it try.

Last edited:
OP
N

NSX

Stupid question, why would you not be buying a DAC/HPA in this case?

My first thought was to order a Fiio K3 for 70$ but not really knowing what to expect from Fiio I decided to try a standalone DAC.

Is there an some headphone amp out there which matches optically well with the D10s (silver color, dimensions, design)?

Last edited:

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor

xeizo

Stupid question, why would you not be buying a DAC/HPA in this case? The receiver's headphone output is clearly no great shakes and it's likely to be drawing 50+ W from the wall to boot. Not exactly the last word in efficiency. It's like going grocery shopping in a big rig truck.

True, I don't use my Yamaha big AV much now when the electricity price is all over the place in Europe. You don't need a 1000VA transformer to power a pair of headphones ...

OP
N

NSX

Tricky. The now "old" L30 sort of matches.

The L30/E30 no mater which generation reminds me of some sort of voltage meter or kitchen timer.

I like on the D10s that it looks what it is - some sort of external sound card in a nice casing - but with a headphone jack (left or right of it's display) missing. At least when playing PCM there is no need for a discrete volume control. In DSD mode ... well there may be a problem.

The Little Bear Tube thing... that would look interesting beside the D10s.

s-l1600.jpg

Not sure what it sounds like... some people say it sounds incredible especially when tube and op amp chip is swaped.

OP
N

NSX

There was a tube headphone amp on ebay for a few bucks and I though I give it a try. o_O

It's a Fossi / FX Audio P2 type of amp with two tubes and a JRC 5532 op amp on each side. As far as I can see through the holes there is also a third 5532 in the middle but I'm not sure what its purpose is.

The sound it produces is good, there is no noise etc. and also the build quality is nice... but I can't hear anything warm or natural. Quite the contrary when listening e.g to guitar music I would say the guitars sound rather artificial and annoying. Maybe electric guitar like. I'm not sure.

But it is still an interesting and well build toy and I also like that its board is not crowded and its audio paths are carefully routed in a more or less symetrical way.

Is there a way to bypass the tubes? Some russian guy on YouTube said that he removed the tubes and connected pin 2 and 3 to bypass the signal directly to the op amps. Is that true/possible?

There should be a swich to turn the "Analog Sound Processors" on/off. :D

Last edited:

jasonhanjk

$50 can already get a very good DAC Amp with it's performance verified.
Why choose an unknown route?

OP
N

NSX

$50 can already get a very good DAC Amp with it's performance verified.

Do have any suggestions I can take a look at? Lets say in a range of 50-100$

Why choose an unknown route?
Yes you are right... Maybe because the D10s looks good in silver and also to get some a point of reference.

There were some other DAC Amp for about 100$ like this Dual DAC...

JMQ465-2022_10_2048x2048.png

..but looking at the layout, escpecially the audio section where everything like USB Controller, Resonators. Analog & Digital is thrown together. Can this perform well? :rolleyes: I guess everything is pretty interfering with everything :facepalm:.

Last edited:

jasonhanjk

Here is a good dac amp around the $50 region. It can power 32 ohm hp nicely.
I would say this is a good one for beginners.

Other DAC amp that are $100 and below can't beat it's 32 ohm performance.

OP
N

NSX

Here is a good dac amp around the $50 region. It can power 32 ohm hp nicely.
I would say this is a good one for beginners.

Other DAC amp that are $100 and below can't beat it's 32 ohm performance.

Thank you I will take a look in to it.

Top Bottom