• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

B&W signature sound

caccarot81

Hi Guys
I've a pair of B&W 602 S3
I'm trying to understand How they sound.
Speakers have 90 db spl and go down to 3 ohms of minimum impedance and therefore need a rather robust amplifier if I want to get full potential
Anyway,I wanna talk about the sound
Are these speakers too bright in the High mids?
It seems to me that the sound is too thin and too detailed.
I'm right?

DSJR

Major Contributor
They used to sting viciously up-top when new I remember and I remember the S2's being similar (the Series 1's weren't so bad I felt). bass I *thought* was better than the slightly loose boom of the previous ones but this would very much depend on room and placement within it.

The thing is, these speakers are twenty or so years old and tweeters *can* change tonally over the years for various genuine reasons. A pair of well loved 601 series 1's came in for a dem at several years old and they sounded very sweet, which was a far cry from the hashy 'splatter' when they were new (we had numerous demo pairs and out of the box they were all similar).

OP
C

caccarot81

I drive them with a Marantz PM400.
To have a balanced system, taking into account the "bright sound" of the speakers,is wise to have an amplifier with a warm sound?

OP
C

caccarot81

You're typically much better off getting different speakers than attempting to dramatically change their sound signature by swapping amps.

You are right But I cant afford a change.
I have to keep the speakers that are basically in Mint Condition.
To attenuate a high range that is a bit too much in evidence, a warm amplifier could somehow "soften" the sound. Marantz and Denon, for example, how do they sound?
I've read B&W+Rotel Is a very bad coupling.
Rotel is too much analitical Sound

dfuller

Major Contributor
To attenuate a high range that is a bit too much in evidence, a warm amplifier could somehow "soften" the sound. Marantz and Denon, for example, how do they sound?
This isn't really true unless the amp seriously rolls off the top end. No, if you want to "fix" your speakers - use an EQ.

Dougey_Jones

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Be better off getting a MiniDSP and using Dirac to clean up the parts of the FR that you find problematic.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
That seems like goobly gook talk. I've heard Rotel amps and they sounded like the other good amps that I've heard. All good amps with speakers that are not a really difficult load sound pretty much the same. If you want a different sound get different speakers or use parametric EQ. Parametric EQ will give you the single biggest improvement other than totally different speakers.

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
OP, did you already play with toe in? You can try no toe in (pointing straight instead of towards you).

Looking at the measurements at
It would seem no toe in should help.

DSJR

Major Contributor
B&W either do, or used to distribute Rotel in the UK if nowhere else...

I seem to recall response plots of the 602S3 showing a narrow 'spike' at 9 - 10kHz. if that's the case, you'll have a darned hard job minimising it I reckon. Firing them straight ahead and thereby sitting off axis may help if I read the plots right. (Chap above beat me to it :D )

903bw.fig1.jpg

Koeitje

Major Contributor
I drive them with a Marantz PM400.
To have a balanced system, taking into account the "bright sound" of the speakers,is wise to have an amplifier with a warm sound?
Your amplifier might be a little underpowered if you listen at higher volumes, but if your amplifier operates within its specifications it will sound exactly the same as any other amplifier. Barring any extreme distortion of noise issues. In terms of frequency response its going to be flat.

So if you think your speakers are too bright either buy new speakers or try to correct it with a DSP/tonecontrols. The latter will be harder, especially with speaker that don't have smooth directivity.

ahofer

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The whole amp/speaker "synergy" thing is a myth pushed by audio retailers to take a greater share of your wallet. Use EQ to achieve what you can with those speakers and a linear, clean amp (not terribly expensive).

fitero

I used to install a lot of B&W and Rotel gear together. I always thought the Rotel gear sounded soft and pleasant when paired with speakers from other brands, such as Dynaudio etc..... with the B&W speakers, not so much. The B&W speakers were too sharp for my tastes until the D3 series arrived.

As mentioned above, an equalizer would seem to be your best, most cost effective bet.

Top Bottom