• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

B&W 800D4 series

tecnogadget

Addicted to Fun and Learning
As fun as it is to mock the LW and off-axis response curves, what ultimately matters is the actual in-room response.

I happen to have in-room measurements of the 805D2 (2 generations older), shown in BLUE below. Perhaps, of interest, I also have in-room measurements of the Revel PerformaBE m126Be, shown in RED. Both were taken in the same room using a calibrated UMIK-1 and an average of 3 readings each.
Even though the on-axis LW FR of the 805D2 is also "bat-wing" (not shown), the actual in-response below is pretty good.
It turns out, the Revel is the one with excessive energy in the midbass region and overall sounded a bit rolled off in the highs in the same room. I actually took these measurements to better understand why the m126be sounded "dull" to me.

Perhaps some food for thought - it's actually pretty difficult to predict the in-room response just by eyeballing a series of FR charts. Just because the tweeter on-axis (or on-axis LW) FR curves look a certain way to you, doesn't mean the actual response will look the same, as this demonstrates.

index.php
It does look fine indeed, though not very fond of the 3kHz depression (could be easily fixed by EQ).
But what were the conditions of the measurements? How far away are both speaker separated between them, and how far from them is the listening position? Were they facing straight or some toe-in involved?

It would be better if you plot the graph with a 50dB scale, you are showing 90db to 30db = 60dB scaling, and specify the smoothing (I would guess this is 1/6 or psychoacoustic), 1/12 and then 1/6 would be useful.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Kef measure pretty well for traditional designs and we used to stock them perhaps if they made an active ‘blade’.
Keith

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have studied the frequency response of the 805D4 in detail over the last few days and can only partially agree with your statement. Especially in the low frequency range, the Batman target is clearly missed. I don't want to offend you, but it's a complete mystery to me how you could have missed that - B&W fan boys are probably everywhere.

Here is my extensive frequency response research as proof - these studies are my legacy to future generations and I cannot laugh at all when inaccurate reports are made in this regard.
View attachment 158624

Hahah that is really even closer than I expected.
As fun as it is to mock the LW and off-axis response curves, what ultimately matters is the actual in-room response.

I happen to have in-room measurements of the 805D2 (2 generations older), shown in BLUE below. Perhaps, of interest, I also have in-room measurements of the Revel PerformaBE m126Be, shown in RED. Both were taken in the same room using a calibrated UMIK-1 and an average of 3 readings each.
Even though the on-axis LW FR of the 805D2 is also "bat-wing" (not shown), the actual in-response below is pretty good.
It turns out, the Revel is the one with excessive energy in the midbass region and overall sounded a bit rolled off in the highs in the same room. I actually took these measurements to better understand why the m126be sounded "dull" to me.

Perhaps some food for thought - it's actually pretty difficult to predict the in-room response just by eyeballing a series of FR charts. Just because the tweeter on-axis (or on-axis LW) FR curves look a certain way to you, doesn't mean the actual response will look the same, as this demonstrates.

index.php

I don't mean to be argumentative as I don't know how productive it is to continue what seems to be some fundamental disagreements, (even though I think we agree on many things too). But for the sake of friendly debate I will point some things out:

1) Having created full spinoramas and measured the in-room response for several dozen speakers, there is a strong correlation between the in room response and the measured PIR, and you get a pretty good feel for how the calculation is going to turn out after some time looking at measurements. I know, I know, people aren't excel spreadsheets that can calculate this stuff in their head instantly, but look at enough measurements and trends start to emerge.

Sure, there are occasional outliers, but not many and I don't recall many any dramatic deviaitons, especially from 1-kHz to 10kHz. You definitely need vertical information to really know, but usually the horizontal data alone will give you a good sense of what to expect, and you can make some educated guesses based the drivers and crossover. Or simulate it.

I've written before about how few measurements you actually need to get something quite close to the full spinorama in *most* cases. 11 measurements is usually enough for vituixcad. Probably less with a bit of elbow grease as you can guess some of the extreme off-axis angles.

2) That in room response doesn't look terrible, but not that good to me either, with the scoop from 1-5 khz in particular given the short scaling. Of course, some listeners may enjoy that sound. Not making a commentary on that, just that in my opinion it doesn't look very good.

3) I forget which paper it's in, but worth mentioning in one of the harman papers they found better correlation with listening impressions from the PIR than from the actual in room response. I imagine due to the increased resolution.

4) Not really a counterargument, but another thing adding 'fuzziness' to all this is how people actually measure the predicted in-room response. The methodology is laid out in the Olive 2004 part II. Just posting that here as I rarely see people mention this:

"In-room measurements were made of the 13 loudspeakers from Test One using the exact physical setup used for the listening tests. A diffuse-field
microphone was positioned at the listener’s chair, at average ear height, 3 m. away from the loudspeaker. The loudspeaker was placed 1.2 m from the rear wall, slightly off-center from the side walls of the room. A total of 9 measurements were taken at 0, ± 10, ± 20 and ± 30 horizontal, and ± 10 vertical."

So ideally averaging should have 9+ measurements over the listening window. Indeed, following a similar methodology has given me the closest results, though I tend to just do MMM when measuring quickly. Depending on how wide of an area you measure over, how you aim the microphone etc can affect how close your in-room response is to the PIR.

5) I disagree what ultimately matters is just the in-room response. it's always a balance of the direct sound and in-room sound. You likely know that, but just pointing out it's not like we should be ignoring the LW in favor of the in-room response, especially at higher frequencies.

Last edited:

charleski

Major Contributor
The latest HiFi News from the UK has a review of the 801D4:
01282B1F-D095-4131-9050-C84042859CF1.jpeg

I presume the deviation from the results in the German magazines is down to differences in measurement technique.
There’s certainly no evidence of a ‘BBC dip’ here, but for £30k I have to say it seems rather disappointing.

charleski

Major Contributor
The presence dip is off-axis and in the sound power, see the 30° measurement posted above.
Paul Miller uses some form of "freefield correction" in his measurements that I've never seen properly documented, but seems to be an attempt to produce an estimate of the total response at the listening position.
You can find his measurements (using the same technique) of the Rogers LS5/9 (a classic 'BBC design') here, which show a dip from 800-2kHz.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Paul Miller uses some form of "freefield correction" in his measurements that I've never seen properly documented, but seems to be an attempt to produce an estimate of the total response at the listening position.
The freefield correction refers to the "stitching" of the windowed upper frequency region measurement to the lower region nearfield one and not something like a predicted in room response, see more about it here https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ents-spinoramas-with-rew-and-vituixcad.21860/

charleski

Major Contributor
The freefield correction refers to the "stitching" of the windowed upper frequency region measurement to the lower region nearfield one and not something like a predicted in room response, see more about it here https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ents-spinoramas-with-rew-and-vituixcad.21860/
That's something else entirely. We have no idea if it has any relation to what Miller is doing here, though he may well incorporate some form of stitching. Miller has never expressly described his measurement techniques or oddball 'correction' (as far as I can see), so they can only really be compared to other measurements he's made.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That's something else entirely. We have no idea if it has any relation to what Miller is doing here, though he may well incorporate some form of stitching. Miller has never expressly described his measurement techniques or oddball 'correction' (as far as I can see), so they can only really be compared to other measurements he's made.
It is obvious from their form (also compared to others measurements) that these are windowed on-axis/LW measurements and not off-axis/PIR spliced in the bass region with nearfield ones as almost everyone does who doesn't own an NFS.

Here for example his measurements of the LS50 Meta compared to the ones of other 5 known sources:

1634126281970.png

Sources: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...f-ls50-meta-review-speaker.25574/#post-871509 and https://www.hifinews.com/content/kef-ls50-meta-loudspeaker-lab-report

Above bass (where the splicing is usually done) they match well and obviously his nearfield bass splicing is wrong as it is also at Stereophile (a known error source there):

1220KEF50fig04.jpg

Source https://www.stereophile.com/content/kef-ls50-meta-loudspeaker-measurements

changer

The scale has to be taken into account. While one might think a 30 dB amplitude window does accentuate uneveness, the 60k extension (hell why) severely compresses the apparence of dips and peaks.

charleski

Major Contributor
Here for example his measurements of the LS50 Meta compared to the ones of other 5 known sources:
Given that the LS50Meta has a very smooth and controlled off-axis response, it doesn’t seem an adequate test of whether Miller’s measurement technique incorporates off-axis elements.

I don’t see the point in trying to guess what he’s actually doing. Idiosyncratic measurement techniques like this mean that his reviews can only really be compared to others that he’s performed, and I linked to one such above.

TimVG

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Soundstage Network's NRC measurements for the 805 D4 are up before the review. The response is definitely... interesting.

fr_on1530.png

fr_456075.png

And the Listening Window
fr_listeningwindow.png

On the plus side, props to B&W for doing the closest thing to a 'Batman' frequency response I've seen yet, ears and all:

61vnebcDCIL._AC_SL1250_.jpg

In all seriousness, horizontal directivity looks decent, I think. Hard to tell for sure without tracing the data. B&W tends to have completely different directivity even among speakers in the same family though, so I wouldn't extrapolate this to the other models. *shrugs*

As the treble seems to get hotter with each iteration I can only conclude these are 'tuned' by ear and the lead designer's hearing loss is getting more severe with each passing year.

sweetsounds

As a long year owner of the 800D series: B&W isn't about marketing, it's about taste. They could (and did) design loud-speakers with flat on- and off-axis sound in the 90s.
B&W then optimized direct and indirect sound independently, which gives a unique experience and - yes - make the sound room-dependent. They know, what they are doing and measure a lot on their premises.

However, in a typical, medium damped living room with the speakers just a couple of feet off the wall or even close to corners, the B&W always gave me an "immersive" experience.

Actually, my newer speakers are very well measuring. Sounding more "neutral", but less fun.

lherrm

However, in a typical, medium damped living room with the speakers just a couple of feet off the wall or even close to corners, the B&W always gave me an "immersive" experience.

Not related to the 800D series, but I did listen to a B&W 606 and an Atohm GT1 in a store with an amp allowing A/B speaker instant change : the GT1 sounded flat (rightly so) with the "correct" tonality, and on the B&W the singer voices were "weird" (not truth-like) but the soundstage was immense compared to the other speaker. I can understand the appeal of it.

tecnogadget

As a long year owner of the 800D series: B&W isn't about marketing, it's about taste. They could (and did) design loud-speakers with flat on- and off-axis sound in the 90s.
B&W then optimized direct and indirect sound independently, which gives a unique experience and - yes - make the sound room-dependent. They know, what they are doing and measure a lot on their premises.

Actually, my newer speakers are very well measuring. Sounding more "neutral", but less fun.
Finally a post from and owner whose ego hasn’t been touched, telling thing as it is, and more important, embracing it. Thank for sharing your experience and I’m glad you enjoy the immersive and fun listening.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Why don't they say what the drivers are made of? What's the big secret?

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Now also the 801 D4 has been added:

Top Bottom