• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

B&W 800D4 series

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
I agree. I don’t get it :mad:. The bigger mid of the 801/802 are better in terms of output/distortion, but worse in terms of dispersion, and dispersion is much more important for overall sound quality.

What I want most is an 801 with 5” mid.
A 6 inch mid is always worst than 5 inch driver?

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
I mentioned it in another thread but thought I’d share here…

I reached out to Sound United - who owns B&W - to ask about getting a review set. This was the reply:
Regardless—and to save you some time—the first few reviewable units from the new D4 Series are already committed to <removed>, <removed> and <removed>. They haven’t even left the UK yet, we’re fighting the forces of intercontinental shipping like everyone else unfortunately, which is delaying our timeline fairly significantly.

At this rate, I imagine the units will become available for review once again either Q1 or Q2 next year, depending on how B&W wants to approach the second round of reviewers. I’m not opposed to sharing on your channel, but it’s going to be some time before we can provide units.

(I removed the names of the testers as I don't know if that should be shared)

It’s not a "no". Which is good. I asked if should follow up again in a few months and was told to do that. By then, I imagine there will be measurements available by one of the above (removed) reviewers. Since I know who they are, I know their M.O.. So I imagine there will be more ease with allowing me to do my thing. So, we will see early next year. Fingers crossed.

bo_knows

Addicted to Fun and Learning

I reached out to Sound United - who owns B&W - to ask about getting a review set. This was the reply:

It’s not a "no". Which is good. I asked if should follow up again in a few months and was told to do that. By then, I imagine there will be measurements available by one of the above (removed) reviewers. Since I know who they are, I know their M.O.. So I imagine there will be more ease with allowing me to do my thing. So, we will see early next year. Fingers crossed.
Hi Erin,

I would think this would be a big business risk on their part.
I've seen most of your youtube videos and you are quite genuine in your review.
What if you don't give B&W gloving review as you did for D&D 8C?
Half of their 800 series models are more expensive than D&D 8C and they don't do anything to deal with the room interaction. IMHO, B&W is for a specific crowd that may not be digging deep into the measurements but go by the look and marketing (Abbey road studios and etc.).

preload

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I agree. I don’t get it :mad:. The bigger mid of the 801/802 are better in terms of output/distortion, but worse in terms of dispersion, and dispersion is much more important for overall sound quality.

What I want most is an 801 with 5” mid.
I’m so sorry but there’s just no way you can determine that the 803 sounds better than the 802 simply by eyeballing directivity charts, which is just one component of the spinorama and isn’t even part of the Olive regression formula. Please don’t state things matter of fact when you don’t really know.

I’ll also point out that as of now, at least from what I’ve seen, nobody here appears to understand how the B&W 800 series is so well regarded outside of ASR and reconcile that with the conventional interpretation of spin measurements.

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Same! That would be so cool if you could measure one of the towers from this series.

Jukebox

That's great news Erin! will be amazing to have a healthy set of measurement for these iconic speakers. Don't expect them to be ruler flat by any means but maybe other strongpoints will compensate for that; time will tell.

ctrl

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

MarcT

Forum Donor
The online magazine lowbeats.de has published a listening comparison on YouTube of Bowers & Wilkins 802 D3 versus D4
Who is interested can listen here:
I'm not sure which is which, but the ones on the outside look quite a bit larger to me, even taking into account that they are moved a bit forward. As to the sound, I can't really hear any difference.

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The online magazine lowbeats.de has published a listening comparison on YouTube of Bowers & Wilkins 802 D3 versus D4
Who is interested can listen here:

Really wish they had played some actually complex music. They sounded fairly similar to me, but I think most things are gonna sound similar with super basic music like that.

ctrl

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I can't really hear any difference.
Weird, with my headphones I can hear a difference, however how much of that depends on the different setup I can't say.

Really wish they had played some actually complex music. They sounded fairly similar to me, but I think most things are gonna sound similar for simple music like that.
Yes, the music selection should have been more challenging.
Here is the link to the original

St. Germain - Tourist - Latin Note

MarcT

Forum Donor
Weird, with my headphones I can hear a difference, however how much of that depends on the different setup I can't say.

Yeah, I didn't use headphones, so I guess you can't go by me.

Wow, the sound in that video is so much better! I guess the audio shop's recording is not so good.

bo_knows

I can hear differences as well using my Sennheiser HD660. The new speaker has a clearer midrange, deeper bass, better dynamic and notes have more "harmonics" on the piano section. LOL. That is the best I can describe it. I appreciate their efforts with fast switching but I wish they played the SAME piece of music so we can do apple for apple comparison.
If the speakers were in an identical position during the recording of the song, then the new model is a clear improvement and worth an extra $$$.
Thanks for the video. :)

HedgeHog

D4 on the outside. To me, they sounded less mid-scooped by a touch but on some passage, sounded less spatial and the instruments seems crowded together. I recall hearing the D3 when it first came out and preferred it to the D2. D3 was warmer and fuller. My 2 cents.

preload

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm fascinated by how many people think that it's possible to "listen" to high-end loudspeakers that have been recorded using a mic, then compressed to youtube, and then played back on even lower-fidelity transducers like mid-fi headphones.

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
B&W has a house sound, and you either love it or you don't. I don't, but obviously a lot of people do. I don't expect the company to abandon the formula that has made them successful.

MarcT

Forum Donor
I'm fascinated by how many people think that it's possible to "listen" to high-end loudspeakers that have been recorded using a mic, then compressed to youtube, and then played back on even lower-fidelity transducers like mid-fi headphones.
Well, in fairness, a lot of times, the difference between high end speakers of different brands is readily apparent even on YouTube because they are designed so differently and tuned to quite different "house" sounds. Not in this case, of course, because B&W is not going to design the D4 to sound all that much different from their D3 series.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
B&W has a house sound, and you either love it or you don't. I don't, but obviously a lot of people do. I don't expect the company to abandon the formula that has made them successful.
I clearly remember retailing B&W because the expectations from customers was so pre-defined and clear to themselves about B&W. The 801s and it's family sounded pretty good and the entire DM series was for nearly all the sales staff horrible but the customers wanted them and so many sales people simply gave the customers what they wanted and saved themselves the time and effort of selling product and just clerked the job. ("Clerking", is a insult to real sales people.) I sold 801s but the B&W mid priced line-up was flat and boring sounding and yet so many customers would sit there for a hour(s) trying to give themselves a reason to pull the trigger. I don't think I ever sold a B&W mid-line speaker in 9 years of retailing audio product. I took the time to introduce the customers to several different product lines, then narrow down the price range they could afford or not (...and come back another day because good customers are loyal if you show them them the good stuff and respect them rather than lay-down slam them like a shark clerk.) and play different genres of music so they could experience the speakers better. Customers bought KEF Uni-Q- and Reference series with the best warranty service, Mission, Energy, MB Quart, Infinity Kappa and mid line Infinity product, JBLs both in bookshelf and large-size floor standing stuff, Paradigm, Celestion, Polk large and small stuff, Magnat and even Yamaha NS-1000 series but not B&W from me on most any day. We would order in different brand speakers models by the thousands per full line order from small to expensive and large and so B&W had some boots to fill and for some it did. :D I have not heard the latest line-up from B&W and I heard so much negativity about the, "House sound." It make me wonder if B&W has retained the same boring flat sound in mid price product.

Top Bottom