• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

B&W 800 D3 vs KEF Blade. Let's discuss.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
thank you for your comment! Just like the benchmark ahb2, which I've heard of on this forum, are you aware of any underdog speakers which would significantly outperform the ones I've mentioned?
Yes, go active. Up to this price range: big Genelec Ones, Neumann KH420, or the newcomers: KII Three, Grimm Audio LS1, ...
For perfection add 2 or 4 subs with room EQ and you're done for good.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Yes, go active. Up to this price range: big Genelec Ones, Neumann KH420, or the newcomers: KII Three, Grimm Audio LS1, ...
For perfection add 2 or 4 subs with room EQ and you're done for good.

I would never buy any of those because they're not what I want to see in my living room.

I don't want big black utilitarian studio monitor speakers in my living room. I save that look for my office.

Maybe the Kii's would be okay, as they're not quite as pro-audio looking.

Last edited:

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Dutch and Dutch are nice looking and work well near walls.

OP
bandit

bandit

Forum Donor
I would never buy any of those because they're not what I want to see in my living room.

I don't want big black utlitarian studio monitor speakers in my living room. I save that look for my office.

That's my main issue. I know it's stupid because I'm on a forum called "audio science review" but at the same time I'm very fond of the aesthetics of the components and it's really hard to upgrade a system trying to please both your ears and eyes.

fredoamigo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
HERE are the only measurements I found of the 800D3 of what I saw there is nothing radical defect except the vertical ... in any case we are far from a speaker sota a 30,000 usd
https://www.fidelity-online.de/bowers-wilkins-800-d3-messungen/

Bowers-Wilkins-BW-800-D3-Messungen-18.jpg

Last edited:

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Constantly mentioned on this forum: Kii three (+ BXT), D&D 8c, Genelec 8351B/8361A (+ W371A), GGNTKT's upcoming M2. And that's only because you mentioned the Blade, which I'd like to see measurements of, otherwise the B&W is also bested by more traditional designs like Neumann's KH420.
Also the Mesanovic RTM10's.

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
Personally I would never buy speakers this expensive, let alone make a lifetime purchase, without listening.

This.

Not only are you buying a sound but you are buying a brand, a look, a personal appeal. When you are spending this kind of money it would seem like a terrible mistake to not at least demo them with your own music in person or even better, (if possible) find a dealer who will allow you to demo both in your own home.

Use the data to help narrow down designs you like. And if you don't know from looking at the data then demoing them in person will help you correlate those measurements and (ultimately) allow you to better find a solution that checks all your boxes from sound to look and fit.

Last edited:

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
That's my main issue. I know it's stupid because I'm on a forum called "audio science review" but at the same time I'm very fond of the aesthetics of the components and it's really hard to upgrade a system trying to please both your ears and eyes.

It's not stupid.

Your eyes affect what your brain hears -- this is known science.

And you have to live with them as part of your life.

Hi fi is for entertainment and enjoyment; you're not planning to use them as tools to do a job like mixing.

Entertainment includes something that brings you joy when you look at it.

Koloth

If you live in Italy, as your profile indicates, I'd recommend looking at these continental european manufacturers that all sell highly regarded active, dsp-controlled, often servo-controlled speakers in various sizes, designs and price ranges:

Musikelektronik Geithain (German)
Backes & Müller (German)
HEDD Audio (German)
Cabasse (French)
Adam Audio (German)
Genelec (Finnish)
Lyravox (German)
KS Digital (German)
GGNTKT / "Gegentakt" (German)
Genuin Audio (German)

Yeah... Germans apparently love their DSP & servo-controls :)

OP
bandit

bandit

Forum Donor
If you live in Italy, as your profile indicates, I'd recommend looking at these continental european manufacturers that all sell highly regarded active, dsp-controlled, often servo-controlled speakers in various sizes, designs and price ranges:

Musikelektronik Geithain (German)
Backes & Müller (German)
HEDD Audio (German)
Cabasse (French)
Adam Audio (German)
Genelec (Finnish)
Lyravox (German)
KS Digital (German)
GGNTKT / "Gegentakt" (German)
Genuin Audio (German)

Yeah... Germans apparently love their DSP & servo-controls :)
thank you very much for these!

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Also the Mesanovic RTM10's.

They're very Darth Vader.

You'd have to have a real minimalist, modern room with a lot of neutral and gray tones to make that look work. Black leather couches would match.

It's going to clash if one's decor is more organic or baroque.

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I don't want big black utilitarian studio monitor speakers in my living room. I save that look for my office.

The 8C comes with a wood finish(though it's more expensive). I find it quite attractive .

I also think the Genelec Ones in white look gorgeous, and really not at all like studio monitors.

Colonel7

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hi guys, this is my second post on this forum, I know you're more science oriented so I apologise for posting something more shallow. I am by no means being lazy but I cannot read a measurements graph and I am therefore asking for your help to decide which, in your opinion, are the better speakers between the two I have mentioned.
I have read a very positive review on the KEF R3, posted by Amir. This does not imply that their higher models are equally well performing but it shed some light on a brand which I had previously not considered. I am planning on buying my lifetime speakers (we all know this is never the case) and I am really undecided between the 800 D3 and the Blades, does anyone feel like helping me out? I have not seen much love for B&W on this forum, which I previously considered to be among the best speaker brands on the market, can anyone elaborate on why this isn't the case? Thank you in advance everyone!

First of all, welcome! Second, unless you're visually impaired you probably can read a measurements graph if you put a little bit of time in. You are talking about comparing speakers that are the same price as some new cars. I'd suggest reading the primer linked below on spinorama and then taking time to read a fair number of Amir's speaker reviews and it'll become 2nd nature. You should also check out Erin's Audio Corner and his comprehensive reviews of some very nice speakers. The more you read, the more you'll be able to correlate measurements with what you're hearing.

Good luck! https://www.sausalitoaudio.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/Interpreting-Spinorama-Charts.pdf

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
The 8C comes with a wood finish(though it's more expensive). I find it quite attractive .

I also think the Genelec Ones in white look gorgeous, and really not at all like studio monitors.

Yeah, the 8C is okay.

I hate the look of Genelecs, even in white. And I say that as someone who currently has white speakers.

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For the price of the 800D3, you could get 8351bs + W371s. I would guess that the vast majority would prefer the latter setup(at least on the merit of sound quality).

I agree with listening before you buy at that price, though. While I'm confident the majority of folks would prefer the 8351b/W371a, there will still be a small minority that will prefer the 800D3. Just be careful of comparing one speaker in one room to another speaker in a different room. You really need to try and compare them in the same room, otherwise it might be more misleading than it is helpful. Also be wary that the B&W house sound is likely targeting a house curve that's made to sound better(more detailed) in a demo room, but will grow fatiguing over time once you get them home.

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah, the 8C is okay.

I hate the look of Genelecs, even in white. And I say that as someone who currently has white speakers.

Just goes to show how different aesthetic preferences can be. Weird that sonic preferences seem to be so homogenous, by comparison.

For me, the best looking speakers are B&W 800 towers, Sonus Faber expensive stuff, Salk Towers, Joseph Audio. Genelec Ones aren't far behind that top tier for me, although I tend to enjoy the looks of many different speaker styles. Only look I don't really like is the flat baffle vintage look(ex: JBL L100), but that's about it :).

Top Bottom