• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

B & W 607's vs Elac B5.2's - Anyone heard a back to back?

Witterings

Has anyone heard a back to back of the B & W 607 Anniversary S2's vs the Elac Debut B5.2's ... I'd be really interested to hear what noticeable tonal differences you picked up on?

I have a pair of 607's in one room which is a bit of an acoustic nightmare and a pair of Wharfedale 9.1's in another room and I prefer the comparitive warmth of 9.1's ... BUT .... this could largely be the acoustics in each room.
I'd try the 9.1's where the 607's are but I'm really limited on space behind and they're too deep so it's a bit of a pointless exercise.

If anyone's heard them both back to back, be really appreciative on any input / comparison you may have.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Has anyone heard a back to back of the B & W 607 Anniversary S2's vs the Elac Debut B5.2's ... I'd be really interested to hear what noticeable tonal differences you picked up on?

I have a pair of 607's in one room which is a bit of an acoustic nightmare and a pair of Wharfedale 9.1's in another room and I prefer the comparitive warmth of 9.1's ... BUT .... this could largely be the acoustics in each room.
I'd try the 9.1's where the 607's are but I'm really limited on space behind and they're too deep so it's a bit of a pointless exercise.

If anyone's heard them both back to back, be really appreciative on any input / comparison you may have.
What good is it what someone else heard in some other location with some other equipment with some other tastes and preferences?

Compare the facts. And listen for yourself at home. Everything else is just banter and anecdote and useless for your purchasing decision.

Welcome to Audioscience ;)

Everett T

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

I'd avoid any of the 600 series B&W, they never measure well, unless you like the mid and upper mid a little hot.

OP
W

Witterings

What good is it what someone else heard in some other location with some other equipment with some other tastes and preferences?

I think a lot of good .... either there's an underlying tonal difference in the speakers or there's not.

Say the 607's are very bright and another speaker much warmer and not nearly as bright .... that'll be the same irrespective of where they are as long as they're compared in the same room (and same position) with the same amp / speaker cables etc.

That could save me ordering them and if they sound exactly the same having to pay postage to get them sent back and depending who you order them from a restocking fee on top along with the hassle of doing it.

But thanks for your input, it was a very positive and helpful contribution :rolleyes:.

Last edited:

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think a lot of good .... either there's an underlying tonal difference in the speakers or there's not.

Say the 607's are very bright and another speaker much warmer and not nearly as bright .... that'll be the same irrespective of where they are as long as they're compared in the same room (and same position) with the same amp / speaker cables etc.

That could save me ordering them and if they sound exactly the same having to pay postage to get them sent back and depending who you order them from a restocking fee on top along with the hassle of doing it.

But thanks for your input, it was a very positive and helpful contribution :rolleyes:.
What if that someone has hearing damage or a big / small room or loves / hates bass …. the list goes on.

Hey. Your money. If you want to rely on hearsay and anecdotes - go for it. Most likely not saving you money.

If you want to learn. Get the FRs of the speakers and post them here and have people (experts here) give you their explanation how the speaker performs.

Plenty of other forums for hearsay, anecdotes and opinions.

Last edited:

Everett T

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

Objective data is the first evaluation, after that the subjective data can vary for numerous reasons, especially the room. Many people love the 6 series, me nothing yet has peaked my interest at all, including the S2 bookshelves that are sitting on a shelf in a closet for 17 years. I only saved them was to tinker with CO at some point, which I doubt will ever come to fruition.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have the Elac 5.2 in a HT setup with an Elac subwoofer and the 5.2 with the attached EQ tweek are great. Very detailed. The sub is not so good, not low enough.

OP
W

Witterings

What if that someone has hearing damage or a big / small room or loves / hates bass …. the list goes on.

So in essence what you're saying is ... nobody else's opinion has any bearing or matters what-so-ever .... every review of any stero equipment that's ever been done is a complete and utter waste of time, and every single person that's ever done one isn't capable of being subjective .... seriously ... sounds like someone who just want to be controversial / opinionated but hey ho.

Not being funny but if you can't make a poitive comment and offer help when someone asks why not just abstain rather than just being negative ... forums are generally about helping people.

I have the Elac 5.2 in a HT setup with an Elac subwoofer and the 5.2 with the attached EQ tweek are great. Very detailed. The sub is not so good, not low enough.

Many thanks for that ... I did buy them and also bought a cheap speaker switch for £9 on e-bay so I could directkly compare and it worked brilliantly.

That said I don't think I would of needed it to hear the difference, I'm completely blown away by them in comparison, there are bits of bass I've never heard in songs before that massively add to the melody but also the subtle nuances / runs going on in the background.

The snare drum in some songs has never sounded like this on any other speakers this size ... the only thing I did was lift the treble a smidge as it helped bring the vocals more to the fore but I must admit I'm absolutely loving them and with the limited space I have I don't think I'll find a better option.

Last edited:

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My first thought is why limit yourself to these choices? Explain?

OP
W

Witterings

My first thought is why limit yourself to these choices? Explain?

The only reason is depth ... it's in a kitchen living area which is "The Mrs" domain and literally the only place I can put them is on a window sill .... I did look at the Dali Spektor 2's as well as they were the only other's I could find less than 23.5cm deep.
I've even had to make a "plate" the speakers stand on to stop them falling off, I may use double sided tape to keep it there although is seems quite solid for now.

The lack of space at the rear also favoured a front rather than rear ported speaker and probably the deciding factor of trying the Elac's over the Dali.

Wish I had alternatives but there is absolutely nowhere else in the room they could go.

Top Bottom