• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

B&O best audio builder? Your opinion?

MDK007

Hello everyone,

I had a discussion this weekend with my father in law.
He has B&O equipment.
Regarding to him there isn't anything better audio wise.
I think he thinks that because of the premium prise, but according to me there are other brands that offer better equipment for a much lower price.
Can anyone explain me why B&O is so expensive and if it's really worth it?

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It's expensive because people will pay that much. Worth it? That depends if you like how they sound and have the spare cash.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Opinion:

There's no best anything, only things that better other things at specific criteria.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Some people pick a brand and swear by it. If that makes them happy that's great, but take it with a grain of salt.

AudiOhm

When I was in Toronto, August of 1982 to see Queen at Maple Leaf Gardens I stopped by a friends place, her parents had a B&O system.

I remember picking up one of the speakers and was amazed how heavy it was, never seen another since...

Ohms

Typo...

Last edited:

recycle

Bang & Olufsen products have always been famous for their innovative style and for how their gear can be harmoniously integrated into luxury environments. Part of their marketing is also having outrageous prices, to emphasize that those are products for millionaires.
Are B&O products also worth the pricetag, based on their performance? I don't think so

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
They are primarily style over substance IMO.

Designed to look a certain way - almost certainly in some cases at the expense of absolute sound quality. Not worth the money asked for them.

Mr. Widget

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
They are primarily style over substance IMO.
I agree.
At B&O style is more heavily weighted than we may prefer.

Designed to look a certain way - almost certainly in some cases at the expense of absolute sound quality. Not worth the money asked for them.
Personally I am not in love with most of B&O's current designs, but I appreciate the design effort and quality of materials.

I wouldn't buy either bluetooth speaker below, but I certainly prefer the quality materials of the B&O over the plastic landfill below it.
Screen Shot 2023-05-15 at 1.43.37 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-05-15 at 1.44.39 PM.png

SuicideSquid

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hello everyone,

He has B&O equipment.
I think he thinks that because of the premium prise, but according to me there are other brands that offer better equipment for a much lower price.
Amir recently reviewed a B&O speaker, so you can have some objective evidence to bring to the discussion.

That B&O speaker is an interesting design and measures decently, but has some flaws. You can find much better-performing speakers for a significantly lower price. How much value does your father-in-law place on aesthetics?

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello everyone,

He has B&O equipment.
The B&O formula is to sell a lot of lifestyle trash - but here and there they have great pieces of engineering that are amazing (and are priced accordingly).

But you get zero trickle down tech from the Beolab 90 when you buy garbage like some of the idiotically overpriced Beosound bluetooth speakers.

It is seldom about the *brand*, it's about the specific product.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I agree.
At B&O style is more heavily weighted than we may prefer.

Personally I am not in love with most of B&O's current designs, but I appreciate the design effort and quality of materials.

I wouldn't buy either bluetooth speaker below, but I certainly prefer the quality materials of the B&O over the plastic landfill below it.View attachment 285678View attachment 285680.
Sadly I don't believe the B&O in this example is any less likely to be landfill.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Then, you father in law is wrong.
Can anyone explain me why B&O is so expensive
Bragging rights for normies people that do not know much about audio. Those are indeed their target.

Doesn't mean that they cannot make actually good products. The best? Maybe in some parallel universe.

ronniebear

In the late '70s and '80s, Bang & Olufsen had two audio products which offered well-above-par measurable performance, though there will doubtless be dissenters.

Bang & Olufsen turntables provided above-average isolation from acoustic feedback and very well configured tonearms which were (unfortunately) designed specifically for proprietary but very good B&O cartridges. In 1976, shortly after B&O launched its Model 4000 linear-tracking turntable, it was sued for alleged IP infringement on Harman/Kardon's linear-tracking technology, even though B&O's approach to a linear tracking mechanism was quite different than that used in the Harman/Kardon Rabco ST-7. The various B&O linear-tracking turntables were fairly reliable, and the mechanisms quite capable of handling the back-and-forth arm movement with minimal discernable tracking drift. In 1991, B&O abruptly canceled its turntable and cartridge manufacturing. Best turntables ever? Debatable, but they did elevate the standard of vinyl LP playback significantly above the median of turntables made during the mid-70s to late-80s era (though at a fairly hefty price premiuim).

Bang & Olufsen cassette decks (i.e. model 8000) were reviewed many times by objective reviewers like Julian Hirsch and High Fidelity (CBS Laboratories). Their cassette decks tested out with above-average performance, in terms of measured wow & flutter, speed accuracy, frequency response, distortion, and channel separation. Interestingly, to my recollection B&O never produced a three-head cassette decks, but their two-head decks were exceptionally effective, and most of them incorporated a very good automatic cassette bias/equalization/sensitivity calibration system for recording. Once again, though these decks were exceedingly good (highly regarded by the Tapeheads community), B&O definitely charged premium prices for its decks.

Speaking of recording, Bang & Olufsen improved upon the original Dolby HX headroom-extension system. In conjunction with Dolby Labs, most high fidelity cassette decks made from 1982 until 2014 obtained licenses to incorporate Dolby HX Professional. Dolby HX Pro enhanced the performance potential of most tape decks, providing a measurable reduction of harmonic distortion, particularly in critical upper frequencies. The Dolby HX Pro licensing scheme provided significant royalty income to Bang & Olufsen during the '80s and '90s.

So those are three areas where B&O made quite significant contributions to the state of the audio art.

valerianf

To me B&O is to sound the equivalent of Apple for the phone market.
Design and marketing are top notch. They succeeded to get a large number of followers part of a kind of cult.
B&O started before Apple became famous, also may be B&O is the original business model.

Gringoaudio1

Forum Donor
When I was in Toronto, August of 1982 to see Queen at Maple Leaf Gardens I stopped by a friends place, her parents had a B&W system.

I remember picking up one of the speakers and was amazed how heavy it was, never seen another since...

Ohms
B&O. BW or Bowers and Wilkins is something else.

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
My impression is that B&O throws an awful lot of research and technology at solving problems that would not have been there if they were less of a design-first company.

On the other hand they seem to be very, very good at this, maybe even without peers.

The end result is audio products that are not seldom instant design classics, sounding rather good to excellent. And most of the time more than adequate to many an ear.

Pulling this off as consistently as B&O does, costs B&O money.

Saying they're the best audio builder is a bit silly though but saying you can have better audio elsewhere for less is also missing the point.

notsodeadlizard

It is completely incomprehensible why in this case someone might need someone's else opinion.
Just go to the B&O salon to listen and look.
B&O always and everywhere has very good salons, this is a part of their corporate identity.
And this gives you the opportunity to form your own opinion even if you do not have money for equipment from B&O.

And, in the end, something tells me that the owners of such equipment do not wander around the forums.
They are either busy or listening to music time to time.
That's how it works. And it is right.

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Having repaired fair few B&O units, they look great, work reasonably well, but are pigs to service, as cramming all that tech into a small box has a cost. I wouldn't in any way call them The Best, at least not as far as engineering goes, but they meet the expectations of their target market for style, with adequate performance, and are reassuringly expensive.

S

Top Bottom