• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

B&O Beolab 20 Speaker Review

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 132 47.8%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 109 39.5%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 26 9.4%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 9 3.3%

• Total voters

dasdoing

Major Contributor
Narrow polar.jpg

we need this one on the Kipple.

Ra1zel

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Both Beolab 90 and 50 are very well designed speakers that measures overall well and far above what's common.
All cool as long as you don't look at competition

DSJR

Major Contributor
True of some of their products but not all. The MC120.2 for example uses waveguides and a midrange dome - this was in 1983. Ahead of the curve by some margin.

The UK hi-fi press generally push the line that B&O are a lifestyle brand where ultimate sound quality is compromised for appearance.

Maybe it's different in the USA.
The M120 may be ok, but the S80 in both versions was dire, the sound being phasey, lumpy balance and with terrible vertical dispersion. The 6000 slim active columns lack bass in a medium to larger room and the 8000 'pencils' had a one note thump unless carefully positioned. the 2500 and especially the lozenge shaped 4000 actives of old were quite good on a shelf/table or optional wall brackets if not too much was asked of them...

The 'thing' about Beosystems going back nearly 60 years now for their stereo ones, is that they always sounded great in client's homes! Their CRT tellies may not have been as bright or 'sharp' as a Sony monitor, but try watching commercial TV on a Sony Pro set of the period under subdued light conditions and see how soon the headache starts! The Beovisions of those now ancient times could be watched all evening with no eye-stress with far better 'sound' than current sets (hence the use of Sound Bases or Sound Bars to augment them) and B&O had dedicated viewing rooms so the competition could be assessed and carefully logged!

Certainly in the 80's, B&O had some of the most advanced measuring setups in the world along with KEF, but the end requirements were different. B&O's speakers were almost always used with a B&O system context in a domestic environment where the main 'centre' was on show but the speakers more discretely placed. I'm sure this model revierwed here was really good for its launch period (ten to fifteen years back?) when audio DSP and Class D were in their expensive infancy? The slight 'Batman Balance' won't sound bad in a EU type living room I suspect BUT -

The one thing I can't stand is a small speaker trying too hard in the low bass as the quality of the bass does seem to suffer. My ATC 20ASL pro's had (and needed) a basss-lift control, but even adding a little warmth gave the lower bass a thumpy-'stunt bass' kind of artificiality I disliked. At least the 2007 era Harbeths here in their musical and 'charming' way, actually reproduce the 'tunes' of a synth bass line without stress rather than a tuneless dirge lower down and with 'porty boom' well under control by the amp I use, even if much improved by the current 'XD' version.

I do wonder if there's a possible issue with the review speaker? Maybe some fittings have come loose causing the midrange resonance - the enclosure looks like a multi-moulding unless I'm totally mistaken. Thing is, smaller pro models like 'our' beloved Genelec and Neumann references, often need to be carted around and about not always well packed up (my ATC 20ASL pros had snug 'transport cases' originally for each speaker) so need to be physically strong I'd suggest. These b&O's would be dealer installed quite often, connected up using the B&O bus system of the period (powerlink multi pin DIN in my day but different now), the RCA socketrs are token for the likes of us and not normally used, so why spend more on posher looking gold plated ones with next to no performance advantage really?

P.S. here's how my ATCs came, but not sure of the more conventional current models are similarly cased -

DSCF0579.JPG
DSCF0581.JPG

amj101

I do wonder if there's a possible issue with the review speaker? Maybe some fittings have come loose causing the midrange resonance - the enclosure looks like a multi-moulding unless I'm totally mistaken. Thing is, smaller pro models like 'our' beloved Genelec and Neumann references, often need to be carted around and about not always well packed up (my ATC 20ASL pros had snug 'transport cases' originally for each speaker) so need to be physically strong I'd suggest. These b&O's would be dealer installed quite often, connected up using the B&O bus system of the period (powerlink multi pin DIN in my day but different now), the RCA socketrs are token for the likes of us and not normally used, so why spend more on posher looking gold plated ones with next to no performance advantage really?
These were shipped from London via DHL express (and in the offical B&O packaging), but I feel like this is unlikely. In any case, there are more pictures of the 20's construction here (with some additional insight into the design of the speaker from B&O's tonmeister himself in the comments):
Measuring the other speaker would probably provide greater clarity into this, though.
Additionally, the housing should be similar to the Beolab 9's, where there was a resonance caused by flex from the woofer which was solved by a stiffening beam inside.
We probably won't get definitive word on what happened during this speaker's design unless someone on here knows how to get into contact with Geoff Martin or someone else on B&O's engineering team.

Last edited:

test1223

The specific speaker might not be the best omnidirectional speaker. But I doubt you get an accurate impression of the capability of such speaker design with a mono near obstacle placement. I think it is a bit unfair to use these test conditions which strongly favors typical speaker designs that is all I want to point out.

Omnidirectional speakers need a lot of space around them and need a different placement like a wider stereo triangle some use even +/-90° stereo placement with such speakers and you get something which is hard to impossible to obtain with a standard speaker. With this test potential adjustments for the difference in stereo angle which might or might not be implemented in this speaker could be misinterpreted as flaws of the design...

juliangst

Finally some B&O speakers. I hope we‘ll see Beolab 50 and 90 measured as well at some point

amj101

There are a couple DIYAudio threads with some insight into B&O's omni/acoustic lens designs that may help shed light on the speaker's performance.

zipjip

Am I mistaken or is this the speaker that pewdiepie has I think he has a different colour tho

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Interesting speaker (at least different). Price looks like to be 11k CHF on the B&O website locally. It may looks like without the cover and that answer the question of where the midrange is.
View attachment 272707https://www.tonmeister.ca/wordpress/2014/12/11/naked-truth-part-4/

Score is 5.3 and goes to 5.9 with an EQ. Since the bass are excellent, it doesn't improve much with a subwoofer 5.9 and 6.6. with both subwoofer and EQ.
Target market is unlikely to add a crossover and a subwoofer but possibly B&O has one that does it automatically.

The EQ tracks the small oscillations on the LW and/or PIR but that's minor variations. The speaker has already been optimised to have a as flat as possible LW. The EQ optimise for a flatter PIR which may not be a good idea for this speaker. I would love to listen to this one with and without EQ.

Last time I went to a B&O store I listened to a 50k system and was disappointed (Beolab 50, now around 40k). The store didn't even know how to use the room correction system.

I am wondering if the quasi-omni nature could help in some cases. A friend of mine had the Beo 5 which looks similar and where good for parties.

View attachment 272693
If you have a graphical EQ, you get more or less the same results:

View attachment 272705
I have never seen nor heard a BEO 5 (or any other B&O product). But, based on papers I had read (not the reviews, so much), I used to think that the BEO 5 was up my alley, as I like wider dispersion. Your saying that it was good as a party speaker sort of confirms that part. BUT, does it have better linearity and sound than this one for 2 people sitting on the couch trying to enjoy the music? I do hope that someone sends one in.

Marc v E

Major Contributor
I have never seen nor heard a BEO 5 (or any other B&O product). But, based on papers I had read (not the reviews, so much), I used to think that the BEO 5 was up my alley, as I like wider dispersion. Your saying that it was good as a party speaker sort of confirms that part. BUT, does it have better linearity and sound than this one for 2 people sitting on the couch trying to enjoy the music? I do hope that someone sends one in.
Ime the beolab 5 and 9 have a wide dispersion. I would advice you to listen to one for yourself. B&O shops have 2nd hand pairs now and then.

I wouldn't be worried. I think you will be pretty surprised if you fear a speaker only for 2 people sitting on a couch or expect a party speaker. Ime they have imaging to die for and are refined and powerfull. Do have a listen and report back what you heard.

Last edited:

Cote Dazur

$15,000.00, for both I assume, for active speakers. I cannot even start to imagine what kind of performance and presumably what kind of measurement we should expect to hear and see for such an extraordinary (for me) amount of money, even considering diminishing value compare to cost when going overboard.
Lately I have been marvelling at how much music, details, timbre, dynamic, I am getting form $60 IEM connected to a Apple dongle listening to digital files stored on a IPhone, 15K speakers? What are people expecting? How different can listening to recorded music in a relatively small space be?

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
$15,000.00, for both I assume, for active speakers. I cannot even start to imagine what kind of performance and presumably what kind of measurement we should expect to hear and see for such an extraordinary (for me) amount of money, even considering diminishing value compare to cost when going overboard.
Lately I have been marvelling at how much music, details, timbre, dynamic, I am getting form $60 IEM connected to a Apple dongle listening to digital files stored on a IPhone, 15K speakers? What are people expecting? How different can listening to recorded music in a relatively small space be?
with loudspeakers the differences can be considerable regardless of the size of the space. Lots of rubbish loudspeakers out there. Good ones really do show them up.

D

Deleted member 48726

While I agree with the objective side, I can't help to value the design as well. And that is a very subjective valuation which agreement never will occur. B&O has always been like that more or less. A comparison can somewhat be made with apple, which also have some actives in their portfolio which is so apparently overpriced, that it begs to belief. Like how much better is the iPhone 14 Pro Max compared to the iPhone 12? -Difficult to decipher.

At some point a line between consumerism and concept is appearing and B&O treads back and forth across this line more so than others in my opinion.

Marc v E

Major Contributor
The funny thing is that you can indeed have state of the art performance with an apple dongle and a 60 dollar IEM!

Imo getting great speakers with similar performance costs quite a bit more. Still, with an avr, a sub and 2 elac 62's you get there in frequency response. For clarity you'll have to get something like the Genelec 8351's. Stunning difference in money, but ime that's the way it is.

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ime the beolab 5 and 9 have a wide dispersion. I would advice you to listen to one for yourself. B&O shops have 2nd hand pairs now and then.

I wouldn't be worried. I think you will be pretty surprised if you fear a speaker only for 2 people sitting on a couch or expect a party speaker. Ime they have imaging to die for and are refined and powerfull. Do have a listen and report back what you heard.
I have great hopes. I have never believed in "head in a vice" listening or headphone listening (unless I am trying not to disturb others while I an getting things done around the house [therefore meaning wireless headphone listening]{my Sennheiser TS-180 'not bluetooth' a 30+ meter range}). But I would much rather just listen to the speakers (in my case: Dahlquist M-905's and a pair of customized [by me] 12' floor firing {for dispersion} subs crossed over at 80 Hz.
I guess that I will need to find a B&O showroom (surely there is not one near Charleston, SC) next year (after January I will have both more money and time).
I have seen some of the 5's listed but they were always more than 500 miles away.
Thanks for the advice, I WILL do that after January 24.

fredoamigo

Forum Donor
The funny thing is that you can indeed have state of the art performance with an apple dongle and a 60 dollar IEM!

Imo getting great speakers with similar performance costs quite a bit more. Still, with an avr, a sub and 2 elac 62's you get there in frequency response. For clarity you'll have to get something like the Genelec 8351's. Stunning difference in money, but ime that's the way it is.

Once again, as for the TAD Evolution 2 that we saw some time ago,https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/tad-evolution-2-speaker-review.38949/ it is here and perhaps more than elsewhere of marketing positioning to touch a target of potential purchasers, if the price was in line with the audio quality we would have been for a long time and our forum would have no reason to be...

That said, it is a huge disappointment especially in front of all the publications emanating from the high ranking engineers in the audio research who passed by Bang&olfusen notably on AES.

Maybe there is a new policy in this company since it is under Chinese flag ? (article in french ) https://www.lesnumeriques.com/audio/bang-olufsen-devient-chinois-n51373.html

Neddy

Reminds me of JBL Aquarius's. I compared these side w/L200s back in the day, but preferred the 'upgradeability' of the L200s, and wasn't wowed by the unidirectional aspects of the Aquarius's. (Ssssss).
Everything old is new again?
But I always was tempted to get a set of these for rear/side surround use. Never found a pair in good enough condition/price to serious consider it (I have L5s if needed, for that, anyway).
Aquarius 4 S109 page1.jpg
Aquarius 4 S109 page2.jpg

Top Bottom