• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AXPONA: MBL Speakers and amplifiers

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
093A2886.jpg
093A2891.jpg
093A2892.jpg
093A2885.jpg

Beautiful tape deck:
093A2893.jpg
093A2894.jpg
093A2888.jpg
093A2889.jpg

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
On the music front, they were playing some non-descript, atmospheric music which I did not like, nor would be any kind of proper evaluation material for an audio system. Turns out they were playing the music from some audio writer!!!

They then played a Nat King Cole track from tape. It sounded nice, soft and light. There was some applause though that sounded harsh to me.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

TitaniumTroy

I really enjoyed the After Hours Tape sessions, no boring audiophile music here. Kansas, Styx, Mark Knopfler, Stevie Wonder and some funky stuff from the 80's. Plus they turned the lights way down, only a candle in the center between speakers. Plus the low level lights of the system, it was all very cool and a lot of fun.

However the guy running the show was really ticking me off, first he stopped me from getting the sweet spot in the morning right after it became vacant, to hold for his Holiness Mr. Vailin. I was almost kicked out my chair at my first AXPONA, again in the MBL room and again for Vailin, but he declined to take them up on it then. Then he holds me back again at the After Hours thing saying someone was sitting there, however that guy then walked out. Not being sure if that was who's seat it really was I sat next to sweet spot, then Tape DJ/Demo guy sits right there, WTF?

Then a few minutes later he gives the seat to his girlfriend, then later to some guy he knows who just walked in. While I'm sitting there like the Freaking Invisible Man. Finally his friend asks me if I had the chance to sit in the center chair, I said no and he let me have it. Finally, I sat there for about two or three songs and gave it back, feeling much better.

I didn't expect a small sweet spot with omini-directional speakers. While I thought the speakers were a lot of fun to listen too, the sound seems to come from everywhere, which I guess it is. I prefer something a little less diffuse. Plus I noticed a harshness from the speaker, which was mentioned by the KEF rep who said he was a huge MBL fan, I actually liked the imaging of the Blade 2's better.

Top Bottom