• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AXPONA: Martin Logan, SimAudio Moon, Sonus Faber, AudioQuest

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
093A3048.jpg

This was a large room with two complete systems at each end.

093A3051.jpg

093A3055.jpg

093A3052.jpg

093A3049.jpg

093A3053.jpg

093A3054.jpg

Attachments

• 093A3050.jpg
    093A3050.jpg
    216.1 KB · Views: 257
Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Martin logan. Mac. Very nice. Large sound as usual.

Martin logan and Mac. Another good but big sound.

I can't find 'large' or 'big' in my Audiophiliac Glossary of Confusable Terms.

Is there a 'just right' size I'm not aware of, too?

Maybe 'small' is preferable?

I'm here to learn...

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I can't find 'large' or 'big' in my Audiophiliac Glossary of Confusable Terms.

Is there a 'just right' size I'm not aware of, too?

Maybe 'small' is preferable?

I'm here to learn...
It is the simple presentation of anything as a large object in the room. At one point, I imagined the head of the singer being 2 feet wide if not wider. It is an effect I am sensitized to which may not be noticeable or bothersome to others.

I want to emphasize again that this was a very good sounding system at the show.

Cosmik

Major Contributor
It is the simple presentation of anything as a large object in the room. At one point, I imagined the head of the singer being 2 feet wide if not wider. It is an effect I am sensitized to which may not be noticeable or bothersome to others.
Presumably this wouldn't have been a problem with the Quad 63 and those phase shifted ring electrodes..? Did Peter Walker come up with a perfect design for a planar speaker that has been forgotten somewhere along the way? Presumably it is long since out of patent..?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
No, it is a problem for me with all large panel speakers. There is a large "wall of sound" which is very pleasing at times but to me, it homogenizes all music that way. I like to hear the differences in different records where sometimes the presentation is small and focused.

By the way, welcome to the forum Cosmik. :)

MBI

No, it is a problem for me with all large panel speakers. There is a large "wall of sound" which is very pleasing at times but to me, it homogenizes all music that way. I like to hear the differences in different records where sometimes the presentation is small and focused.

Apologies for digging this thread back up. Not sure where to post this. Please say if this should have been posted somewhere else in the audio science forum.

Your LRS Magnepan panel review was very interesting to read (objectifying how bad the output specs were, many thanks), but I here understand you have also listened to much larger panels (be them Martin Logan or possibly Magnepan and perhaps others too) and still conclude that such technologies globally homogenize music. Can't this be said of any speaker?

Don't all speakers imprint their output capacities on all musics in some way or other and, if the answer is yes, what makes it more acceptable for conical speakers but not panels?

If someone was in a position to set several systems up in order to chose which to use upon what music, don't you think panels possibly reproduce church accoustics more convincingly than conical speakers (of some Bach B minor mass performance for example), and are you a mass or a symphony enthusiast?

Many thanks in advance for any help on these genuin questions and forum use.

Top Bottom