• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AXPONA: Linkwitz,MiniDSP,Fostex,MarkAudio,Morel,Scan-Speak,SB Acoustics,SEES

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
093A3458.jpg

I think this room wins the award for most brands represented! My focus was the Linkwitz although I didn't see anything new, nor was the man here when I was there.
093A3460.jpg

093A3461.jpg

093A3459.jpg

I asked the gentleman if there was any worries about the larger driver firing up and getting reflections/comb filtering from the other horizontal driver. His answer was that Linkwitz had designed this and by definition then that would not be a problem.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I believe Linkwitz includes the MiniDSP crossover filters with his DIY designs, which you then just load into your MiniDSP processor.

dallasjustice

Major Contributor
And you aren't satisfied with that answer.

View attachment 1257

I think this room wins the award for most brands represented! My focus was the Linkwitz although I didn't see anything new, nor was the man here when I was there.
View attachment 1258

View attachment 1259
View attachment 1260

I asked the gentleman if there was any worries about the larger driver firing up and getting reflections/comb filtering from the other horizontal driver. His answer was that Linkwitz had designed this and by definition then that would not be a problem.

AJ Soundfield

Major Contributor
I believe Linkwitz includes the MiniDSP crossover filters with his DIY designs, which you then just load into your MiniDSP processor.
Yep, in this case the upward woofer is LR2 below 700hz. Which is nearly 20 inches. The obstruction above looks around 4" round. I wonder what happens when a nearly 20" wave meets a round 4" obstruction....

cheers,

AJ

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Don't trust your ears?
Both of them? No. I am right handed so my right ear tells me more of the truth. The left one is a bastard liar half the time.

How did it sound?
Speaker at the end of a large PVC tube.

Next!

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I suppose even Demi gods can have an Achilles heel!
Keith

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
View attachment 1257

View attachment 1258

View attachment 1259
View attachment 1260

The guy in the photo is giving amir... ' that look' :D

startled and abject confusion, mix with ' who hell are you' ( polite version:D)

Standard fare for amir at audio events by the looks of it:D so much so he no longer even notices it any more:eek:

I would of loved to be there for that, I want to see this effect you have on folks first hand one day amir:)

I think the tubes are from ' plumbing supplies direct' God bless them!

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Was Axpona busy Amir, I heard that CES attendance was down, Munich appears to go from strength to strength in terms of exhibitors at least.
Keith.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Was Axpona busy Amir, I heard that CES attendance was down, Munich appears to go from strength to strength in terms of exhibitors at least.
Keith.
I had not been to previous AXPONA so I don't know. By way of reference, there were less people than at RMAF and CES.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
The guy in the photo is giving amir... ' that look' :D

startled and abject confusion, mix with ' who hell are you' ( polite version:D)

Standard fare for amir at audio events by the looks of it:D so much so he no longer even notices it any more:eek:

I would of loved to be there for that, I want to see this effect you have on folks first hand one day amir:)

I think the tubes are from ' plumbing supplies direct' God bless them!
Hey, that was before I even open my mouth! I took that picture as I was walking in and he gave me that look. The "look" continued during the conversation and hence one of the reasons I did not hang around there long.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Hey, that was before I even open my mouth! I took that picture as I was walking in and he gave me that look. The "look" continued during the conversation and hence one of the reasons I did not hang around there long.
Well amir these guys are taught how to identify trouble makers just by the sound of their foot steps... And your defiantly on ' that ' list :D

Another benefit of having ' golden ears ' ... You can hear amir coming from a mile off :D

Your about as welcome as a loud fart at the Sunday diner table but you keep on going to these events....

That's why your my hero :)

Last edited:

Mivera

Major Contributor
Well amir these guys are taught how to identify trouble makers just by the sound of their foot steps... And your defiantly on ' that ' list :D

Another benefit of having ' golden ears ' ... You can hear amir coming from a mile off :D

Your about as welcome as a loud fart at the Sunday diner table but you keep on going to these events....

That's why your my hero :)

Nothing beats Sunday roast :) Speaking of which since it's Sunday, I think I'm gonna go buy one. Thanks for the idea!

TitaniumTroy

I would have liked to have heard the larger speaker, otherwise I'm with Amir. Nor sure what a speaker at the end of a tube is supposed to sound like but I would assume it would be like what I heard there.

peanuts

i see these stupid comments every year on linkwitz designs.
first of all, read the documentation:
http://linkwitzlab.com/LXmini/Design.htm

1. get a grasp of woofer size, directivity and wavelenght. (if you can understand the relationship)
2. then look at the crossover freequency and phase.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
i see these stupid comments every year on linkwitz designs.
first of all, read the documentation:
http://linkwitzlab.com/LXmini/Design.htm

1. get a grasp of woofer size, directivity and wavelenght. (if you can understand the relationship)
2. then look at the crossover freequency and phase.
First, welcome to the forum. :)

Second, we are here to have fun and learn. So please don't take my show reports too religiously.

On the second part, this is indeed a teaching moment. Please use it to explain he is saying. I looked at the page (thanks for that) and I am puzzled. For example he has these two graphs:

Horizontal-front.jpg
Horizontal-rear.jpg

This is front and rear with respect to what point of view? If it the front one is the horizontal frequency response with respect to listening position, the directivity index is quite poor. The 90 degree reflections hitting the side wall are not correlated well with the direct (0 degree) response. Actually the on-axis response doesn't look good either.

He also comments on the doppler effect I mentioned: "The radiating surfaces of woofer and fullrange are at right angle to each other so frequency-modulation (Doppler) distortion is very low, unlike that of a coaxial driver arrangement. " It may be the dummy in my but I don't understand how having it at 90 degrees make the doppler effect low in such close proximity.

Anyway I let you explain it to us.

Top Bottom