• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AXPONA 2022-Anyone attending?-Exhibitor list now up

MarcT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
April 21-24, 2022 @ Renaissance Hotel and Convention Center, Schaumberg, IL. The exhibitor list is quite extensive.

There is also a page listing the extensive health policies.

I have hotel reservations, but I'm not sure the trip under these circumstances is worth it. Hopefully, by April the covid case numbers will have abated.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So I'm local enough and want to attend, but I mostly go for the headphones stuff...which seems like a surefire way to catch omicron...

steve59

Major Contributor
i'm 20 minutes away so will def attend.

f1shb0n3

Forum Donor
I'm considering it, but feel will be a struggle to walk with a straight face across the snake oil fields of the show.
I don't know many of the exhibitors - how do you guys estimate the overall fraction of the show that falls into these categories: "super expensive high end stuff", "reasonably priced good stuff" and "snake oil stuff"?

steve59

Major Contributor
There’s some great demonstrations and others not so much. Wilson always does a great job and next level demoing raidho or now borrensen sound crazy good. Once I start walking the individual hotel rooms things get more predictable with the smaller speakers sounding better than the full range models clearly in need of more room. The vandersteen room is always packed. ATC did an active/passive comparison but took so long swapping speakers that I couldn’t hear a difference. There’s often deals if you’re interested in a floor model and many rooms serve alcohol. Where else am I going to get to hear legacy valor or chronosonic or Magico speakers . I’m sure if you want to go to mock the industry you’ll find plenty, but if you want to hear what cost no object sounds like you get that too.

OP
MarcT

MarcT

Forum Donor
There’s some great demonstrations and others not so much. Wilson always does a great job and next level demoing raidho or now borrensen sound crazy good. Once I start walking the individual hotel rooms things get more predictable with the smaller speakers sounding better than the full range models clearly in need of more room. The vandersteen room is always packed. ATC did an active/passive comparison but took so long swapping speakers that I couldn’t hear a difference. There’s often deals if you’re interested in a floor model and many rooms serve alcohol. Where else am I going to get to hear legacy valor or chronosonic or Magico speakers . I’m sure if you want to go to mock the industry you’ll find plenty, but if you want to hear what cost no object sounds like you get that too.
Yep, those Von Schweikert rooms are something to hear! As to more affordable rooms, I like the Revel and Anthem/Paradigm rooms. I would think Dali, Wharfedale, Sonus Faber will also be there. Also, Audio Solutions out of Lithuania may be there.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I was more excited about it before everyone started getting stupid about mask mandates. I’m not as likely to go as I was 3 weeks ago when masking was the expectation. But we’ll see

OP
MarcT

MarcT

Forum Donor
The whole cloth mask mania has been stupid from the start. I can't see that it has done any good at all. I'm less likely to attend if they are going to insist on masks.

steve59

Major Contributor
The mask mandate has been dropped as of monday this week, although I think food servers are still required to wear them. I'm vaccinated and agree with anything that reduces the spread, but masks and gators, like the type required to work or shop were proven worthless from day one.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I live in a cold place and I noticed that the air stream/vapors coming out of my mouth and nose are greatly reduced in the distance they travel when I am wearing a mask. When it is super cold I can easily see my breath and it goes out about 4-5 feet if exhaling strongly and with the mask it goes maybe 6-10 inches. So the mask I think affords a reduction in the radiation of vapor from the respiratory system.

EDIT: I have been advised by a person in the know that covid is a air born thing and so the water vapor seen in cold air is not a good indication of the protection afforded by the mask..

Last edited:
OP
MarcT

MarcT

Forum Donor
The mask mandate has been dropped as of monday this week, although I think food servers are still required to wear them. I'm vaccinated and agree with anything that reduces the spread, but masks and gators, like the type required to work or shop were proven worthless from day one.
Are you saying the Cook County mask mandate has been dropped? Back in January, I received an email from AXPONA which indicated that the current mask requirement was from Cook County. Here is part of the email:

"Per the current Cook County Department of Public Health, anyone aged two and over must wear a mask while indoors in a public space, except when eating or drinking. If local guidance changes, we will share any updates with you. A full description of AXPONA’s current policies and guidelines is available and will be updated as needed on our website here."

I just checked the AXPONA website and their is no change to their Covid 19 Health and Safety page with respect to the Cook County mask requirement.

agiletiger

Are you saying the Cook County mask mandate has been dropped? Back in January, I received an email from AXPONA which indicated that the current mask requirement was from Cook County. Here is part of the email:

"Per the current Cook County Department of Public Health, anyone aged two and over must wear a mask while indoors in a public space, except when eating or drinking. If local guidance changes, we will share any updates with you. A full description of AXPONA’s current policies and guidelines is available and will be updated as needed on our website here."

I just checked the AXPONA website and their is no change to their Covid 19 Health and Safety page with respect to the Cook County mask requirement.
State of IL dropped mask mandate as of Monday. Certain groups and departments still have their own mask mandate. I wouldn't be surprised if AXPONA drops theirs.

agiletiger

How many of you are going to ambush AudioQuest?
They're not even as bad as some of the other snake oil vendors. At least their products are functional as in a cable still functions as a cable. You will see much wilder stuff there than that.

OP
MarcT

MarcT

Forum Donor
State of IL dropped mask mandate as of Monday. Certain groups and departments still have their own mask mandate. I wouldn't be surprised if AXPONA drops theirs.
AXPONA says they will go by whatever Cook County regulations are in place. As far as I can tell, the Cook County order, which was announced on January 3, is still in effect. With the state taking this action, perhaps Cook County will follow suit, but I wouldn't bet on it.

OP
MarcT

MarcT

Forum Donor
They're not even as bad as some of the other snake oil vendors. At least their products are functional as in a cable still functions as a cable. You will see much wilder stuff there than that.
Lol, check out the High Fidelity Cables room, if you dare. They use magnets in their cables. I bought one of their analog interconnects back in the day and am still using it now. Sounds great to me, but I'm sure it's just expectation or confirmation bias.;) I was taken aback by the hot ladies they had in their room! It was somewhat akin to visiting the Lamborghini or Ferrari exhibit at an auto show.

f1shb0n3

Forum Donor
How many of you are going to ambush AudioQuest?
Hope nobody from ASR does anything stupid like this. The "fight" against audio snake oil is here on the forum with measurements, science and arguments. Minds can't be changed with trolling and abuse, a science-based troll is no better than the the other trolls.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@MarcT, @steve59, I merely stated the criteria informing my personal determination whether or not to attend this local event. That’s not something to exploit that as an opening to spread disinformation detrimental to public health.

Please see here for current, reliable information: https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/71/wr/mm7106e1.htm

Now back to your regularly scheduled praise of fine engineering and design, and etc.

Top Bottom