• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AXPONA 2022-Anyone attending?-Exhibitor list now up

Midwest Blade

Still on the fence, the exhibitor list offers up some interesting things to see and hear (although everything is acoustically challenged at a show), seminars look like a bust. Covid numbers are tracking okay but latest variant could change this status.

nerdoldnerdith

Civilized? You mean like this? Other points stand though.

Fortunately AXPONA actually takes place out in the suburbs...
Have you ever been to Chicago? It's like any city in the United States. Some parts are dangerous and full of crime. Some parts are very nice and peaceful. I will say that the good parts here are much nicer than any part of New York, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Seattle, etc. It is a very, very nice city.

I've been living here for five years and have never been party to any kind of violent crime. Travel out to the South Side or West Side, and things may be different.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Have you ever been to Chicago? It's like any city in the United States. Some parts are dangerous and full of crime. Some parts are very nice and peaceful. I will say that the good parts here are much nicer than any part of New York, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Seattle, etc. It is a very, very nice city.

I've been living here for five years and have never been party to any kind of violent crime. Travel out to the South Side or West Side, and things may be different.

Yep. My point was just to bring up a reason why someone like @anmpr1 wouldn't want to visit.

To get back on track, the real reason you visit is for the deep dish pizza. I haven't had Uno's in forever. Need to put that back on my list.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yep. My point was just to bring up a reason why someone like @anmpr1 wouldn't want to visit. To get back on track, the real reason you visit is for the deep dish pizza.
I must say, one of the best pizzas I ever had was in Champagne/Urbana. Which is kind of near Chicago. So if pizza is on the short list, Chicago might be the place. And if you can get Cubs tickets, that would make it a sure winner in the Daily Double. ;)

Last edited:

Lsc

Crime reporting in the Windy City hasn't been the same since Second City Cop went into hiding. HJ does a pretty good job in the raw stats department, though.
And Axpona is in the NW suburbs. It’s far from Chicago and 100% safe.

Safety is not a concern at Axpona.

MacCali

Major Contributor
Hey, I resemble that remark.:cool: Have a great time at the show.
Only pointing it out cause there were a lot of at risk age group there roaming around freely. I felt kind of concerned, however they said the mask mandate was lifted in January for Florida so I guess no one wears masks.

Heck if you look back towards the beginning of the pandemic they weren’t wearing masks already lolll

MacCali

Major Contributor
The crowd is more like 85% 50 or older at Axpona, myself included :).

Yes the mask was bs. I’ll wear one if they make me but I’m not bringing one.
It’s not that they required proof of negative covid test, which they didn’t look at..

Not sure why I even paid to take it.

Then they said you have to wear a mask, no one was wearing it.

I think they just say these things to comply with rules but no enforcement lol

MacCali

Major Contributor
Lou Malnatis is still amazing but it’s not as consistent as it was 30-35 years old when it was perfect every time. They now have a lot of carryouts these days and either the deep dish isn’t cooked well or it gets ruined in the delivery.

Deep dish is best when you dine in.
What’s the absolute best Chicago pizza though O.O

scrubb

Forum Donor
Civilized? You mean like this? Other points stand though.

Fortunately AXPONA actually takes place out in the suburbs...

Worried about violent crime in Chicago? This is almost entirely a beautiful place to live. We get a bad rap here, but it's not really that bad outside of a few neighborhoods and gang factions. You should be more worried about 27 other U.S. cities. I'm looking at you St Louis.

Lsc

What’s the absolute best Chicago pizza though O.O
It depends on the person but there are a few top contenders.

Lou Malnati’s
Pizzeria Uno
Gino’s East

There are some others but these are my 3 favorite. There is a Lou Malnati’s carry-out 5 min from my house so I get that the most and it’s the place I grew up eating. But I really like Gino’s East and Pizzeria Uno too.

Closest to Axpona would be Lou Malnati’s. They have 2 locations for dine-in (Elk Grove & Schaumburg).

The lasagna at Lou Malnati’s is great too!

MacCali

Major Contributor
Worried about violent crime in Chicago? This is almost entirely a beautiful place to live. We get a bad rap here, but it's not really that bad outside of a few neighborhoods and gang factions. You should be more worried about 27 other U.S. cities. I'm looking at you St Louis.
Hahahaha man. Just don’t got to subway at 2 am with -15 degree temps and you’re safe.

Lsc

What about that champagne/Urbana someone mentioned
There are plenty of great restaurants within 10 miles of Axpona. Food is not a problem. You can stay for a week and eat at a different restaurant each meal. And if you just want a hot dog & drink for $1.50, Costco is 5 min away :).

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
To get back on track, the real reason you visit is for the deep dish pizza. I haven't had Uno's in forever. Need to put that back on my list.

Taste is taste, but Chicago deep dish is something I put on the opposite side of the culture scale from, e.g. the CSO, Second City, Field Museum, Chance the Rapper, Wilco, Smashing Pumpkins, Wait Wait Don’t Tell Me, etc.

I thought all deep dish pizza was a crime before man and God until a few months ago when I had to drive to Detroit for a passport renewal. They have good deep dish pizza. Better crust, better cheese, better process. So one could say the reason to visit Detroit is deep dish pizza. Grab some for lunch in the summer and follow it up with a quick hop to Toronto to buy and eat a real (i.e. Pakistani) mango*, and that's a good junk food day.

*N.B. real mangoes are readily available in Toronto, but we can't easily get them here. My rootless cosmopolitan globalist heckles go up when there's something really good we can't have for very stupid reasons...

As for violent crime, it is everywhere on the globe. Numbers are trending wrong right now in Chicago and elsewhere, but they're also going up from a low-by-historical-standards base. Regardless, being a victim of crime sucks, and crime is always something to be aware of and vigilant about. Sadly much more so if you're a Black male, as that group gets disproportionately targeted from both ends.

It is also unfortunate that crime is more lethal and injurious in the US than in other developed countries. However, we all know the 4-letter root cause of that heightened lethality, and presumably discussion of said root cause is out of scope in this forum.

Crime reporting in the Windy City hasn't been the same since Second City Cop went into hiding.

Hmm...

So not exactly into hiding - likely just didn't want the attention of running a site that was drawing Jan 6th putsch attempt sympathizers to the comments.

Being curious, I checked out this fellow's current work. I stopped reading after the first two lines of the most recent post, which are straight clown show: "First up, a very Merry Christmas to all the readers, despite the absence of quite a bit of “Merry” and the ongoing decades of leftist attempts to eliminate “Christmas” itself from the season."

Safety is not a concern at Axpona.

Query: in this decade, has the US seen more fatalities and injuries from violent crime, or from Covid?

Using the word "safety" in a serious and thoughtful manner in the context of an international convention or conference in spring 2022 means discussing how masks/vaccination requirements end up being applied and enforced. Regardless of preexisting local conditions, we're talking about a gathering of people from all over the place. Some of those places are markedly less prudent. We're all sick of the pandemic, but it hasn't gone anywhere.

Lsc

Taste is taste, but Chicago deep dish is something I put on the opposite side of the culture scale from, e.g. the CSO, Second City, Field Museum, Chance the Rapper, Wilco, Smashing Pumpkins, Wait Wait Don’t Tell Me, etc.

I thought all deep dish pizza was a crime before man and God until a few months ago when I had to drive to Detroit for a passport renewal. They have good deep dish pizza. Better crust, better cheese, better process. So one could say the reason to visit Detroit is deep dish pizza. Grab some for lunch in the summer and follow it up with a quick hop to Toronto to buy and eat a real (i.e. Pakistani) mango*, and that's a good junk food day.

*N.B. real mangoes are readily available in Toronto, but we can't easily get them here. My rootless cosmopolitan globalist heckles go up when there's something really good we can't have for very stupid reasons...

As for violent crime, it is everywhere on the globe. Numbers are trending wrong right now in Chicago and elsewhere, but they're also going up from a low-by-historical-standards base. Regardless, being a victim of crime sucks, and crime is always something to be aware of and vigilant about. Sadly much more so if you're a Black male, as that group gets disproportionately targeted from both ends.

It is also unfortunate that crime is more lethal and injurious in the US than in other developed countries. However, we all know the 4-letter root cause of that heightened lethality, and presumably discussion of said root cause is out of scope in this forum.

Hmm...

So not exactly into hiding - likely just didn't want the attention of running a site that was drawing Jan 6th putsch attempt sympathizers to the comments.

Being curious, I checked out this fellow's current work. I stopped reading after the first two lines of the most recent post, which are straight clown show: "First up, a very Merry Christmas to all the readers, despite the absence of quite a bit of “Merry” and the ongoing decades of leftist attempts to eliminate “Christmas” itself from the season."

Query: in this decade, has the US seen more fatalities and injuries from violent crime, or from Covid?

Using the word "safety" in a serious and thoughtful manner in the context of an international convention or conference in spring 2022 means discussing how masks/vaccination requirements end up being applied and enforced. Regardless of preexisting local conditions, we're talking about a gathering of people from all over the place. Some of those places are markedly less prudent. We're all sick of the pandemic, but it hasn't gone anywhere.
If there is evidence that masks/facial covering actually reduced Covid cases vs just give a sense if security, I’d like to see it. I put on masks where still required because it’s not inconvenient enough to argue against wearing it.

But, when I said safety is not a concern at Axpona, I was talking about the location that the event was held. In a safe suburban town NW of Chicago. This was a general statement…doesn’t mean that something couldn’t happen. It was in response that Chicago was a dangerous city.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Pizza debates are just the traditional "off the rails" topic here at ASR. ;)

I thought all deep dish pizza was a crime before man and God until a few months ago when I had to drive to Detroit for a passport renewal. They have good deep dish pizza. Better crust, better cheese, better process. So one could say the reason to visit Detroit is deep dish pizza.

While also excellent, Detroit pizza is pan pizza, not deep dish. Just being thick doesn't make it deep dish. The crust is the key difference. Deep dish has a thinner non-rising pie-like crust while pan has a much thicker and airier rising crust.

Top Bottom