• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AXPONA 2022-Anyone attending?-Exhibitor list now up

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I don't know many of the exhibitors - how do you guys estimate the overall fraction of the show that falls into these categories: "super expensive high end stuff", "reasonably priced good stuff" and "snake oil stuff"?
Snake oil stuff is probably 10% but their stuff is used in every high-end exhibit. I say 1/3 is reasonable stuff.

OP
MarcT

MarcT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
@MarcT, @steve59, I merely stated the criteria informing my personal determination whether or not to attend this local event. That’s not something to exploit that as an opening to spread disinformation detrimental to public health.

Please see here for current, reliable information: https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/71/wr/mm7106e1.htm

Now back to your regularly scheduled praise of fine engineering and design, and etc.
Please don't accuse me of "spreading disinformation" when your own source largely confirms what i wrote. Note that my above point was about the commonly worn cloth masks, while in your link, the significant benefit was seen with N95 and KN95 masks, which few people have been wearing and which I agree are somewhat effective.

From your link:

"Wearing a cloth mask (aOR = 0.44; 95% CI = 0.17–1.17) was associated with lower adjusted odds of a positive test compared with never wearing a face covering but was not statistically significant." Which is not that dissimilar from what I posted.

steve59

Major Contributor
I guess I’ll bring a mask and my vaccination card, now that the experts are telling us neither of them protect (kidding)us from Covid. social gatherings were hit or miss for me when socializing was a routin, perhaps I should wear a mask just to hide my identity.

OP
MarcT

MarcT

Forum Donor
I just wish it wasn't a two day drive from me, as I don't really much like to fly, especially now with all the covid sequelae.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Snake oil stuff is probably 10% but their stuff is used in every high-end exhibit. I say 1/3 is reasonable stuff.
I have no idea how the exhibitors work it, but it wouldn't surprise me if there is some 'tit for tat' going on. A cable maker giving (or loaning) his product to the speaker maker, who gets his amp from an amp maker, all on loan. Simply as a means of reducing costs and sharing booth space. It's four thousand dollars for an exhibit room. Factor in the expense of staying a couple of days in Chicago, at union rates (can you sleep in your exhibit room?), and it adds up.

Looking at the 'seminars', you have a guy talking about the "myths' of digital audio. When you go to his storefront you find out that he's selling an $8,000.00 DAC, and has instructions about how to best 'burn in' your cables. Sure don't want to miss that one.

Stereophile must have some sort of deal worked out with Axpona. Fremer is conducting a couple of meet 'n greets, where he will teach you how to set up your record player. Hopefully he is in a good mood.

Another Stereophile 'reviewer' will discuss how reviewers review--what they look for, what they hear for, and how they go about it. Evidently there will be several panelists giving opinions on the matter. I think it would be a good thing if they invited you to be on the panel. However I wouldn't wish a trip to Chicago on even someone I find useless, or even detrimental to audio, like Fremer, much less someone I respect for the solid work they are doing.

steve59

Major Contributor
The hotel is in a nice area in the far west suburbs of chicago. I'm pretty sure i've read about venders loaning equipment to each other for shows and on the main floor is a kind of swap meet setup with card tables end to end selling all manner of acc's. not any carny hecklers tho'.

Midwest Blade

I am local and have my pass but am still on the fence. Life is generally getting back to normal in Chicago but caution is still advised. Wandering through a crowded hotel hallways and rooms for a day or two might not be the way to go at the moment. Still a few weeks away so time to watch the situation.

paddycrow

Forum Donor
I have no idea how the exhibitors work it, but it wouldn't surprise me if there is some 'tit for tat' going on. A cable maker giving (or loaning) his product to the speaker maker, who gets his amp from an amp maker, all on loan. Simply as a means of reducing costs and sharing booth space. It's four thousand dollars for an exhibit room. Factor in the expense of staying a couple of days in Chicago, at union rates (can you sleep in your exhibit room?), and it adds up.

Looking at the 'seminars', you have a guy talking about the "myths' of digital audio. When you go to his storefront you find out that he's selling an $8,000.00 DAC, and has instructions about how to best 'burn in' your cables. Sure don't want to miss that one.

Stereophile must have some sort of deal worked out with Axpona. Fremer is conducting a couple of meet 'n greets, where he will teach you how to set up your record player. Hopefully he is in a good mood.

Another Stereophile 'reviewer' will discuss how reviewers review--what they look for, what they hear for, and how they go about it. Evidently there will be several panelists giving opinions on the matter. I think it would be a good thing if they invited you to be on the panel. However I wouldn't wish a trip to Chicago on even someone I find useless, or even detrimental to audio, like Fremer, much less someone I respect for the solid work they are doing.
I can confirm that a lot of 'tit for tat' goes on, especially the cable and power conditioner manufacturers. Speakers do as well, but to a lesser extent. For example, you'll see a lot of Sonus Faber there even though they won't have their own suite. Magico also lends out speakers, but they insist on positioning them in the room.

Fremer's turntable seminar is actually pretty good if you tune out some of his opinions represented as fact. It covers the basics of setting up a cartridge. He can also be pretty funny at times.

apson

Forum Donor
Fremer's turntable seminar is actually pretty good if you tune out some of his opinions represented as fact. It covers the basics of setting up a cartridge. He can also be pretty funny at times.
One of the first times I saw him. When he says things like "a cheap turntable/cartridge will sound surprisingly good if you just take the time to set it up properly" all while working on a $20k turntable...it really left a positive impression. I agree with him.

Jim Shaw

Forum Donor
The hotel is in a nice area in the far west suburbs of chicago. I'm pretty sure i've read about venders loaning equipment to each other for shows and on the main floor is a kind of swap meet setup with card tables end to end selling all manner of acc's. not any carny hecklers tho'.
Yep. It's a cheap ride from Chicago Ohare. Your hotel might even provide a bus.

Jim Shaw

Forum Donor
Reading the vendors list, I was more surprised by all of the vendors who won't be there. Maybe the list will expand as time ticks away.
I don't see PSAudio on the list. Guess we won't get to hear the new $40K speakers that are made in China. But, they're bound to be absolutely wonderful -- picture the guy who just paid $40K and is saying they're not so good. ;)

I might go if I thought Andrew Jones would be there. I happen to own three pairs of speakers designed by him for Pioneer, Kef, and Elac. (None of them are perfect, but none are annoying, either. But all represent excellent value.)

OP
MarcT

MarcT

Forum Donor
I can't imagine PS Audio not being there, but maybe ASR has them laying low this year!:cool: If anyone attends, I recommend hitting Lou Malnati's for some pizza or other Italian foods. The deep dish is really good. Malnati's is located fairly close to the Renaissance Hotel.
20180415_170525 by MDTshots, on Flickr
20180415_172648 by MDTshots, on Flickr

steve59

Major Contributor
Last time I went to Malnatis for a deep dish it came out like a bowl of panara tomato soup. Bread and red sauce. I've become an Edwardo's fan since.

MacCali

Major Contributor
This will be my second audio show o.o

First was the florida audio expo and it pretty neat, but far smaller. Honestly 75% of the crowd was men that are 50 and older and no one wore a mask. In fact you got dirty looks if you wore one, that's florida for you! :D

Not sure what this whole covid debate is about above, and I dont want to start a second one. First, if you had covid already you basically got nothing to worry about. I got covid twice.

Second to that, not sure how you can trust a government who took two years to tell you you need N95 masks to have true protection, which protect you and others. Irony in this is this is all they wore in hospitals and were asking people to donate N95 masks to hospitals because of the shortage at the beginning. I bought N95 masks and have been wearing them since they were delivered Feb 9, 2020. Edit: If you think the masks didn't save me, I would tell you I didn't get it because of not wearing one or wearing one. Both times I got it from my girlfriend LOL.

And I guess here comes more wood on the fire. I'd be cautious if you never had covid and only a vaccine. Besides that go and have a good time.

OP
MarcT

MarcT

Forum Donor

First was the florida audio expo and it pretty neat, but far smaller. Honestly 75% of the crowd was men that are 50 and older and no one wore a mask. In fact you got dirty looks if you wore one, that's florida for you! :D

Not sure what this whole covid debate is about above, and I dont want to start a second one. First, if you had covid already you basically got nothing to worry about. I got covid twice.

Second to that, not sure how you can trust a government who took two years to tell you you need N95 masks to have true protection, which protect you and others. Irony in this is this is all they wore in hospitals and were asking people to donate N95 masks to hospitals because of the shortage at the beginning. I bought N95 masks and have been wearing them since they were delivered Feb 9, 2020. Edit: If you think the masks didn't save me, I would tell you I didn't get it because of not wearing one or wearing one. Both times I got it from my girlfriend LOL.

And I guess here comes more wood on the fire. I'd be cautious if you never had covid and only a vaccine. Besides that go and have a good time.
Hey, I resemble that remark.:cool: Have a great time at the show.

Lsc

The crowd is more like 85% 50 or older at Axpona, myself included :).

Yes the mask was bs. I’ll wear one if they make me but I’m not bringing one.

Lsc

Last time I went to Malnatis for a deep dish it came out like a bowl of panara tomato soup. Bread and red sauce. I've become an Edwardo's fan since.
Lou Malnatis is still amazing but it’s not as consistent as it was 30-35 years old when it was perfect every time. They now have a lot of carryouts these days and either the deep dish isn’t cooked well or it gets ruined in the delivery.

Deep dish is best when you dine in.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
However I wouldn't wish a trip to Chicago on even someone I find useless,

Don’t like civilized places with great live music and other culture, diversity, good food, and functional mass transit?

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Don’t like civilized places with great live music and other culture, diversity, good food, and functional mass transit?
As the famous Pre-Fab Four sang in their hit song, Piggy in the Middle: "One man's civilization is another man's jungle..."

piggy.jpg

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom