• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AXPONA 2018

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I have a question for the technical brains: what format is best to take to hear familiar music if they will let you play it? CD? FAT32 USB chips in FLAC? What form and formats? What are guys transporting their music on these days?
CD seems to be the most universal format. Many won't play flash drives for fear of viruses and such. Or just not knowing how to play them. :)

Since flash drivers are small anyway, if you want to be fully covered, take that too. But as your vinyl experience, expect some to not want to play anything you bring.

I learned that just using one track was more revealing than a bunch. You get a lot more calibrated with that, than playing multiple tracks.

As a courtesy to others in the room, please don't ask them to play a full album as some do. :) I have suffered to death listening to someone's entire album as the exhibitor is too polite to stop them. It is as if they want to show off their taste in music, not realizing the rest of us are not there to listen to their music but to evaluate the gear and move on to the next room.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a question for the technical brains: what format is best to take to hear familiar music if they will let you play it? CD? FAT32 USB chips in FLAC? What form and formats? What are guys transporting their music on these days?

It helps to take pretty much everything you can. I go completely over the top.

CD-R or a normal pressed CD for better compatibility if you have one that will work well enough for your tastes.

USB flash drive, SD, and microSD cards - FAT32 formatted with WAV files so anything will be able to read and play it.

DAP with a 3.5mm stereo to RCA cable so I can just plug into their amp.

And since I mostly go for the headphones I bring a couple different portable amps too, an O2 and Leckerton UHA-4. I also bring 1/4" to 3.5mm and 4 pin XLR to 1/4 adapters for compatibility with more types of cables.

For next year I'm probably going to make a battery pack for my RME ADI-2 DAC and strap a tablet to the top of it...

Top Bottom