• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AXPONA 2017: Smyth Research Realiser A16

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
AXPONA 2017: Smyth Research Realiser A16
093A9200.jpg

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I got introduction to this headphone multi-channel virtualizer back in 2008 when I was giving a talk at Cambridge, UK AES branch. Yes, I am important that way. :D

I sat there in awe when I took the headphone off, speakers turned and sounded just like the headphones had!

Fast forward to today where they are implementing Dolby Atmos with height channel support. I watched people get set up for the test and walk away in amazement with the same test.

The new unit is easier to use in consumer application due to support of HDMI pass through.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
It is one of those magical applications of signal processing.
That's where the fun is.. anything where human intelligence and avalible technology can be harnessed to manipulate our sensory perceptions fascinates me. In this case signal processing, what a great thing to be involved in.

Surprising folks and bringing out spontaneous amazement, not to mention inspiring a good few wide smiles.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
They are absolutely fantastic, but in terms of selling they are problematic, to be really faithful the measuring system has to be installed in the customers listening room, I am hoping to get some here, in terms of headphones they knock everything else into a cocked hat.
Keith

oivavoi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
They are absolutely fantastic, but in terms of selling they are problematic, to be really faithful the measuring system has to be installed in the customers listening room, I am hoping to get some here, in terms of headphones they knock everything else into a cocked hat.
Keith

How does the installation process work, Keith? I thought it was plug n play? No?

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I actual measurement is straight forward but as I mentioned the idea is to accurately replicate your listening room's acoustic which means everything has to be set up in your listening room,which as a retailer is difficult when the actual material cost of the `'realiser' isn't that high.
I guess if we do sell them there will have to be an added 'set-up' fee.
Keith

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Heck with my listening room. I want them to go measure the best damn speakers in the world in the best damn listening room in the world. That way I can listen to that. At least maybe the sound area at the Skywalker ranch.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
They can do that,just choose the venue you would like re-created, they are the most exciting bit of kit I have heard for a long time.
Keith

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

I have been listening through headphones for years ( since 2010) various headphones anyone could deem of very High Quality ( HiFi Man, Audeze, Stax ) ... Good DAC and amps... What will always miss in Headphones is the tactile.. The Smythe Realizer cannot compensate for this.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Have you been measured and tried the Smyth Realiser?
Keith

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
If your floor is shaking you need to take a serious look at your room's acoustic!
The Smyth Realiser is really worth trying if you have the opportunity.
Keith

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If your floor is shaking you need to take a serious look at your room's acoustic!
The Smyth Realiser is really worth trying if you have the opportunity.
Keith
Come on Keith! You know exactly what I mean

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
No not really, I visit loads of customers who mistake reverberation in the room for genuine bass, if your floor is shaking the speakers should be set on visco elastic mounts, of if the cause is air-b0rne then you need to look at your room's acoustics.
Keith

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Hard to get that thump in your chest from drums or deep subsonics from explosions via headphones... There are things we can reproduce that do impact us physically. That said, a good set of headphones comes pretty durn close.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Yes I have experienced that' thump' , usually from AV demonstrations at hearing damaging levels, personally I prefer my bass to be taut and resolving rather then thumpy.
What the Smyth does it make it sound like you are listening to your hifi in your room, but you are wearing headphones, it is phenomenal !
Keith

Top Bottom