• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AXPONA 2017: Paradigm Persona Speakers, Anthem Receivers

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I had heard the new, luxury Persona speakers from Paradigm twice before. The first time I thought they sounded pretty average and the second time, loud and promising but not great. That was about to change as Troy dragged me to their suite to hear them.

093A9000.jpg
093A8997.jpg
093A8998.jpg
093A8999.jpg

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
As you see above they have a full line in Persona going from the 9H to their bookshelf. Most of this review is about the 9H with the H standing for hybrid. It has a powered bass unit with importantly has Anthem Room Correction (ARC) applied below 500 Hz. The others are all passive and the bookshelves that I heard had nothing to write home about. The star, and I mean that literally, was the 9H shown in the opposite corner of the room.

This review highlights something very important: that you want to do business with a company that not only knows how to make speakers, but understands room acoustics. So many crimes were committed at the show because the designer did not understand room acoustics. The Paradigm folks (and later Martin Logan) did in this instance. Room correction and then a +2 db boost was applied to bass frequencies in the speaker. And correction was then applied in the Anthem receiver above that. The combination produced one of the best sounds at the show!

I won't bore you with the details of what goes on in the speakers. You can read about them here and see some in the above photos: http://persona.paradigm.com/persona/

Suffice it to say, Paradigm has a hit on their hands with the 9H. Whether they can break out of their mold of being a mid-tier speaker manufacturer, I don't know. And oh, that presenter needs a big raise for doing a fantastic job explaining the technology and doing the demo and calibration. It was the most perfect execution at the show.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Somebody by Jennifer Warnes. https://shz.am/t401062

This is pretty much overplayed demo track at audio shows but still, it was a joy to hear them with the Paradigm 9H. The highs were clean as a whistle, vocals were to die for, and clarity that was just excellent.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I have heard this class track a ton of time as it is in the playlist for Revel Salon 2: Thanks To You by Boz Scaggs. https://shz.am/t5161030

Compared to my memory of my Revel Salon 2, I thought the overall sound was a bit duller but it was still nice.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
The demo shifted to the bookshelf Persona speaker.

The Great Gig In The Sky by Pink Floyd. https://shz.am/t222291

With Anthem Room Correction (ARC) on, the sound was tubby and shrill. They were kind enough to turn off ARC and it was much worse.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I should say that I returned to this room on the last day and my impressions of Paradigm Persona 9H cemented even more. It is a great choice for people who don't want to deploy external equalization and are in the $20,000 price range market.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Thanks Amir, the UK Paradigm importers say they have a pair of the 9's on order.
Keith

SPFC

I was lucky enough to join Amir (and Troy) on his second visit to this room. Only heard the H9 but they did sound very nice and balanced. Also the the sales person was very helpful and nice. He seemed to enjoy being there and made the whole experience much nicer for everyone.

Top Bottom