• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AXPONA 2017: MartinLogan Impression Speakers, Bel Canto, Cardas Audio, Stillpoints

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
AXPONA 2017: MartinLogan Impression Speakers, Bel Canto, Cardas Audio, Stillpoints

093A8796.jpg
093A8797.jpg
093A8798.jpg
093A8799.jpg

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Goin' Against Your Mind by Built To Spill. https://shz.am/t44160563

Horribly bright. Listening to the youtube with my headphones I hear some of the brightness so it must be in the source. But then why pick this clip?

CAP

Really bad choice of music and speaker set up ! Come on ML step it up !

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
What's standing behind the speakers?

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
What's standing behind the speakers?
Stillpoints sell them.. can't remember what they are called but it's a diffuser/ absorber combo thing.. bit weird given the big heavy curtain .. kinda pointless?

Would those speakers ever sound good so far apart with the first chair in that position?

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Oh, they are Stillpoints Apertures.

---

The more "show" pictures I see, the less I think I'll ever be persuaded to attend one. Unless one comes to Tampa (unlikely). Maybe Sarasota, or Orlando. That's my travel limit.

CAP

Having owned several pairs of ML they MOST definitely need 72 inches from rear wall to do their thing,. Its a timing rear wave thing.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Having owned several pairs of ML they MOST definitely need 72 inches from rear wall to do their thing,. Its a timing rear wave thing.

Mine are at 48 inches.

CAP

I had Quests and ReQuests as well as CLS 1A and Odysseys , They all were different.. I also used Krell and still do. At the time I had a FPB300c and KPS25sc.. Power is needed for the CLS.. ReQuests I rebuilt to look like Odyssey and the Odyssey were damn good as I just sold them for Wilson's I love them still but grew tired of the drawbacks.. Yes they have them and we owners hide behind each speakers issues with saddened pride..

No speaker is perfect.. ITS NOT REAL !

Fitzcaraldo215

Major Contributor
I agree in theory and in practice, actually for any dipoles, not just ML, but my rule of thumb was always 60 inches or more. 72 freaking inches, are you bragging?

I think the concept is to create a long enough added path length vs. the front wave to create a timing difference sufficient for your ear/brain to better perceive the two waves as direct and reflected, rather than comingled. You are still not directly conscious of the rear wave. But, subjectively, it definitely has always sounded better to me out considerably from the wall behind.

Fitzcaraldo215

Major Contributor
I had Quests and ReQuests as well as CLS 1A and Odysseys , They all were different.. I also used Krell and still do. At the time I had a FPB300c and KPS25sc.. Power is needed for the CLS.. ReQuests I rebuilt to look like Odyssey and the Odyssey were damn good as I just sold them for Wilson's I love them still but grew tired of the drawbacks.. Yes they have them and we owners hide behind each speakers issues with saddened pride..

No speaker is perfect.. ITS NOT REAL !

Ah, memory lane.

In the mid-80's, I bought ML CLS Is, and I evolved them successively through CLS IIzs. Yes, they were definitely flawed in terms of an incurable thinness of response from the mid/upper bass on down. However, there was a seeming "coherence and transparency" to the crossover-less sound in the mids and highs that I found I was addicted to.

Then, I stepped up to Prodigy 'stat hybrids. I went Mch 7.1 by adding Claritys, Script i's and a Stage, plus a JL Audio f113 sub. Like my audio idol, Ray, I am not in any hurry whatsoever to change. Subjectively to my biased and aging ears, my system stands up pretty well sonically to those of close friends, including an all-Magico Mch setup just installed by my best friend or a Revel Salon2 setup at another close friend's. Even if I were to hit the lottery, there is a good possibility my next "dream" speakers might be the latest MLs, but hybrids with a cone sub, please. I doubt I would venture back into ML CLX, Quad, SoundLabs or other full range electrostats.

I was very happy with Krell amplification for years on my MLs. But, my main channels are now powered by a Class D Spectron Musician III Mk. 2 as of 6-7 years ago. I sold my Krell Audio Standard-2 Class As after direct comparison in my system back then, though the KAS-2's were aesthetically gorgeous with huge "VU-like" meters, but which had no true, useful logarithmic scale. The Spectron Class D just sounded better to me also than a number of other amps at the time. I got decent money for those Krells even after 15 years of ownership, but I do not miss them. The big power supply caps had blown up a few times on me. Ouch, much smoke, bad smell and $$$. Ironically, my Krell buyer was a local dealer looking to resell them, and he had been a principal in the former dealership from which I had purchased them. He remembered those amps and me very well, and he was always a good guy.

Top Bottom