• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AXPONA 2017: ELAC Speakers, Audio Alchemy

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
AXPONA 2017: ELAC Speakers, Audio Alchemy

093A8870.jpg
093A8871.jpg

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Andrew Jones was at it again with a new design, moving up to the $2,500 price scale. There is a coaxial mid to high frequency driver. The bass is interesting in that it is a ported woofer inside of the larger outside box! Andrew said it provides a 6 db gain and acts as a low pass filter, filtering out harmonic distortion from woofer.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I went to their suite again today and will post those pictures and music later. For now, this speaker gets a big thumbs up from me. The only issue I have is that it looks too plain/dull for a $2,500 speaker.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Last edited:

SPFC

Not only did the speaker sound great. I really enjoyed the presentation/conversation with Andrew Jones. One very cool thing I saw was two guys in their 20s approaching Andrew and asking for his autograph. We need more people like him to attract young folks to our hobby. He is kind of a speaker designer superstar right now, but his speakers do sound great and he does a great job presenting them and answering questions. The room was super packed and Amir and I struggled to find seats. This is in no small part due to Andrew's hospitality. People just didn't want to leave.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
The room was super packed and Amir and I struggled to find seats. This is in no small part due to Andrew's hospitality. People just didn't want to leave.
Indeed. At other shows when I am done visiting every suite, I go and sit there and just enjoy the music and conversation!

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
A funny story. Troy and I are returning from dinner to the hotel and we see Andrew, Chris and crew walking toward the lobby beside us. With no notice, Troy opens my side of the window and shouts, "buy bose speakers!" or something to that effect. The whole group turns around in shock! Thankfully they know me and I waved at them and all was well. Otherwise, a fist fight would have surely started! :D

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Not only did the speaker sound great. I really enjoyed the presentation/conversation with Andrew Jones. One very cool thing I saw was two guys in their 20s approaching Andrew and asking for his autograph. We need more people like him to attract young folks to our hobby. He is kind of a speaker designer superstar right now, but his speakers do sound great and he does a great job presenting them and answering questions. The room was super packed and Amir and I struggled to find seats. This is in no small part due to Andrew's hospitality. People just didn't want to leave.
Not to take anything away from Andrew but this fan boy stuff getting over the top. Not the first time for sure, I could list half dozen or more over the years who became the latest guru's. Still there was a show full of any number of excellent sounding speakers from other designers. A couple years down the road it will be Arnie Nudell Who? LOL

Top Bottom