• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Axiom speakers - thoughts?

i_build_stuff

I'm curious what everyone's thoughts are on Axiom speakers?

I would think they'd be exactly the sort of thing that would get attention around here since their design process is all about measurements and blind testing.

They're interesting to me because.. well, they're what I have. I've had their M80v3 for about a decade now and I really like them.. but they're the only modern "good" speaker I've heard, so I don't really have much of a frame of reference.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I used to retail Axiom. They where good. Sounded fine, the subs had some whallop and thump and took lotsa power in stride. I'd buy them.

ripmixburn

Forum Donor
I'm curious what everyone's thoughts are on Axiom speakers?

I would think they'd be exactly the sort of thing that would get attention around here since their design process is all about measurements and blind testing.

They're interesting to me because.. well, they're what I have. I've had their M80v3 for about a decade now and I really like them.. but they're the only modern "good" speaker I've heard, so I don't really have much of a frame of reference.
They seem like a research-centric company, but it's unsettling to me how few reviews of their speakers have ever been published. If they are as great as Axioms claims, it's a shame the world has no objective way to tell. Their fans are also interested, perhaps interested enough to ship Amir a speaker?

Grotti

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I just stumbled across Axioms website after I discovered, that they seem to be responsible for the loudspeaker line of Bryston. Interesting line of speakers and Subwoofers which makes me wonder, why they seem to be under the radar even at ASR.

Any owners here who like to share their experiences or even better: send a pair of speakers to Amir?

eric-c

Forum Donor
There is a good video you tube video with a tour of the factory. They have their own anechoic chamber in house and measure their subs on a tall pole for 4pi or something like that. In the past year or so Axiom merged or bought Bryston and recently purchased Magnum Dynalab, two highly audio regarded Canadian companies.

Grotti

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
There is a good video you tube video with a tour of the factory. They have their own anechoic chamber in house and measure their subs on a tall pole for 4pi or something like that. In the past year or so Axiom merged or bought Bryston and recently purchased Magnum Dynalab, two highly audio regarded Canadian companies.
But why are they nearly absolutely unknown in the EU? The other two brands, especially Bryston, are well known and highly regarded here (Germany). They do ship to Europe though, but I would appreciate to be able to listen to or order them in my country. Buchardt saw the problem and established a representative dealer in Germany....

So Axiom, it's up to you :)

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
But why are they nearly absolutely unknown in the EU? The other two brands, especially Bryston, are well known and highly regarded here (Germany). They do ship to Europe though, but I would appreciate to be able to listen to or order them in my country. Buchardt saw the problem and established a representative dealer in Germany....

So Axiom, it's up to you :)
They sell direct. So maybe it's hard since they won't have local support and rep?

The founder of Axiom is Ian Colquhoun, he was part of th NRC research with Dr. Toole.

2x6spds

Has anyone tried the Axiom active speakers with Bryston amplification
So, here is a response 3 years late. I have a pair of Axiom LFR1100 active speakers. They do not have an internal cross-over, so each requires 5 channels of amplification and a dedicated DSP. That'd be a lot of Bryston amps, a total of 10 channels.

I use a pair of Axiom EP600 subs, their VP160 center and 8 on wall M2OW surrounds. I use an Integra Research RDA7, 7 channel amp and a Marantz 7025 to drive the center and surrounds. Sounds pretty darn good for home theater.

I have a warm spot for Axioms. About 20 years ago I ordered a pair of their M3Ti bookshelf speakers driven by an Antique Sound Labs MGSi15DT 5 wpc SET integrated, sourced by an Ah! Njo Tjoeb tube output (Marantz modded) CD player and a Velodyne sub. Well, that wonderful sounding system started me on my audio journey. A fantastic sounding system. Since then I have had their M50, M80, M100 floor standers and their M3 and M22 bookshelf speakers. Wonderful speakers.

I then stumbled on Michaura, a short lived audio venture using extremely rigid hex shaped cabinets and Axiom parts. Got their M665 floor stander, M66 twin 6.5" big standmounts and their M55s. I use the M66s in the workout room with a pair of Velodynes. I use 6 M55s as surrounds in the upstairs HT system, with Thiel CS3.6 F/LR, an Axiom VP180 center, a pair of Axiom EP500 subs, a Cary 7 channel amp, Marantz 7025 and the Marantz 7703 processor. Great for music and movies.

Axiom bought Bryston a natural since they have been building Bryston speakers for years.

Great company, great people, and I think their speakers are wonderful.

Moth

Axiom is just the sort of company I'd like to support, just the sort of product I'd buy, but I get hung up on their ugly aesthetics. They could use a good update on their design/ website/ reviews etc. I don't know if I could let that "vortex port" in the house, I'm already on the fence with my cats. A few other manufacturers have addressed port design w/o looking so anatomical?

I would like to see their speakers measured.

Top Bottom