• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AVSForum is Talking ASR Smack!

Enchy

AVS owner threads are invaluable for getting help with setup and troubleshooting of AV gear, but I learned not to take speaker advice from that forum. The bassheads in the subwoofer forum know what they're talking about but the ~5 people who reply to every "what speaker should I buy" post just recommend the same 4 brands to everyone based solely on subjective experience. The ultra-high end forum can be a good source of entertainment to see what kinds of things people waste their money on.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Weak smack IMO.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
...wannabe attempt but a recognizable ASR avatar is making his voice heard over yonder.
Yes, nice of RichB and SteveDallas to jump in particularly with some fact rather than assumption. J.Atkinson the more he writes the less I think of him, sounds like a twat or rather more appropriately, prat :)

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
Weak smack IMO.

Thinking the same thing. A tiny bit of butthurt and a sprinkle of delusion. But not significantly more than you'll find in a random thread here on ASR. It's mostly just really good points tangled up in confusion about what ASR is all about, mixed with outright appreciation of Amir's work.

That J. Atkinson dude seems to be the only one who's really riled up.

Last edited:

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor
Well if so he deserves it. If the review index counts are up to date he’s closing in on 1,000 official ASR reviews
945 to be exact, but who’s counting! Bravo Zulu to @amirm closing in on the Grand finalie…;)

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
From post #63 it appears not as he write in his reply

“As for your statement about John…..

He knows and loves audio. He runs tests on speakers. If he thought the Kippel was needed he would get one.”

And the writing is quite different than his posts here.
The Kippel [sic], eh?

;)

Enchy

If you want real smack, just search Zorba922's posts for mentions of ASR or amir. He really takes ID speaker reviews personally.

JSmith

Master Contributor
I think this posters post clears it up nicely;

Yes, my car was tested, my computer was tested and my audio gear was tested--how I roll and have been that way since I was a kid. I don' care if a reviewer tells me a car feels fast, a reviewer stating a computer feels powerful or an audio reviewer gushes that the gadget lifts veils. Cars, computers and other things have test data to back up the reviewer. Audio gear is testable and it is about time it joined in with the rest of reality.
This is also how I roll. :cool:

JSmith

steve59

Major Contributor
Like it or not there are extremists here that have said they would take a speaker with good spins over a speaker they liked the sound of! I understand there's a divide between those of us that make a hobby out of listening to music and are passionate about it and the folk that want decent all round speakers that don't do things wrong. I can respect you can you return the same respect?

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
ASR is a public website, as with anything in the public domain (websites, magazines, TV, streaming etc) it's a legitimate subject for others to discuss and people are free to hold their own opinions.

As a general bit of advice, either avoid reading what others say about you, or if you are going to read the opinions others hold about you then have a thick skin.

JSmith

Master Contributor
As a general bit of advice, either avoid reading what others say about you, or if you are going to read the opinions others hold about you then have a thick skin.
There really is no drama here, it's just a general discussion... not sure if you noticed these 2 posts either;
It is fine. :)
Let’s try to play nice here. You might be surprised to know how many shared members we have. We should take the high road here.

JSmith

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Like it or not there are extremists here that have said they would take a speaker with good spins over a speaker they liked the sound of! I understand there's a divide between those of us that make a hobby out of listening to music and are passionate about it and the folk that want decent all round speakers that don't do things wrong. I can respect you can you return the same respect?

I'd wanna see the context for that. A speaker audition in a salon is less reliable as an indicator of its performances in your room, than a set of good spin data is.

Far more common is the hobbyist who says "I don't care what measurements say, I love the sound of my (poorly measuring) speakers". That's true here, and even more on AVSF. It's in the amusing lineage of Stereophile reviewers who lushly praise speakers that are more or less dogs according to Atkinson's accompanying measurements

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
... It's in the amusing lineage of Stereophile reviewers who lushly praise speakers that are more or less dogs according to Atkinson's accompanying measurements...
I will never speak ill of periodicals (e.g. Audio, StereoReview, Stereophile, AbsoluteAudio, etc.) which provided much knowledge before the days of internet... and to this day.
But it does not mean that I don't carry "protection" at all times. Like carrying a facemask for possible deterrence from a possible virus infection.
Snag_1bf1435.png

You have one too; don't you?

lewdish

I mean its just AVS forums~ Its not like it matters much there.... AV people are just like that for the most part.

Top Bottom