• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AVS running audiophile power cord sanctioned advertisements again

Archaea

I really dislike this kind of official post at AVSForum. Trading intellectual honesty for profit.

I wager advertisement stuff like this hurts the site more than the click revenue they receive. It, and a post just like it last year just help relocate my hobby reading time and recommendation to ASR.

https://www.avsforum.com/threads/best-budget-audiophile-power-cable.3181695/

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Looking at the comments, people there also don't want to deal with this nonsense.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
I accidentally clicked on the link. There's been times when I've needed to improve the rhythm of my sound, but that was usually when I was playing and rehearsing, not listening to the stereo. For the latter nothing seemed to fix it if it was on the recording. Can I cascade this with another power cord that improves pitch so I never play out of tune?

An audiophile power cable that can do it all, this cord has the power to reduce the overall noise of your sound system while simultaneously improving the rhythm of your sound.​

Last edited:

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I accidentally clicked on the link. There's been times when I've needed to improve the rhythm of my sound, but that was usually when I was playing and rehearsing, not listening to the stereo. For the latter nothing seemed to fix it if it was on the recording. Can I cascade this with another power cord that improves pitch so I never play out of tune?

An audiophile power cable that can do it all, this cord has the power to reduce the overall noise of your sound system while simultaneously improving the rhythm of your sound.​

Well, I do use these on their list:

https://www.amazon.com/CableWholesa...29386f78d3ab6&language=en_US&ref_=as_li_ss_tl

Although mine are a different color, not clear, but grey.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Well, I do use these on their list:

https://www.amazon.com/CableWholesa...29386f78d3ab6&language=en_US&ref_=as_li_ss_tl

Although mine are a different color, not clear, but grey.

Interesting; when I clicked on the link, I noticed the 10' version is cheaper than the 6' version. I was going to make some bad audiophile cable joke, but nah, couldn't get through the sort function...

I used to have a bag of hospital-grade cords but it's long gone and frankly I am not sure I ever saw the benefit without the outlet to go with it.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Interesting; when I clicked on the link, I noticed the 10' version is cheaper than the 6' version. I was going to make some bad audiophile cable joke, but nah, couldn't get through the sort function...

I used to have a bag of hospital-grade cords but it's long gone and frankly I am not sure I ever saw the benefit without the outlet to go with it.

I like them for the other color choices and the sturdiness of the plugs and jackets from a wire bending / breaking POV.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
I like them for the other color choices and the sturdiness of the plugs and jackets from a wire bending / breaking POV.

Yah, they are good, inexpensive alternative to the k-dollar racket. Thinking back, I think I quit after installing outlets, sockets, and cords on my system with the idea the positive capture and retention would keep me from accidentally yanking the cord out with the power on leading to massive pops and fried speakers. It worked like a champ; I stepped on the preamp's cord whilst trying to connect a new tuner (I think) and the cords stayed securely fastened. But having the (tube) preamp get yanked off the shelf was also undesirable... The miracle is I caught it on the way down before damage was done, and it kept on playing. I almost had a heart attack, however.

Sean Spamilton

Oops! We ran into some problems.

Link apparently removed. They must have taken some severe flak. I hope.

Yeah they had quite a few people (myself included) question the article and the direction the site was taking. I suppose they didn't like the feedback so just got rid of the article completely.

I'm not particularly impressed, and it's one of the reasons I've registered here today.

Veri

Master Contributor
FYI I have the Pangea cord that they had on their list. It is a beefy power cord. One of these days I will measure it.
Please do! I hated mine, super thick inflexible piece of crap :eek: thankfully sold it with minimal loss... to the next sucker in line, I guess!

LearningToSmile

I have to admit, I like the aesthetic of these thick audiophile power cables - if I had a system where power cables are particularly visible I might even buy some... from China for fraction of the cost. Looking at aliexpress they're cheap enough that not only you could buy yourself a cable, but also a second one to take apart in order to make sure it's made properly, and you'd still not approach even 1/10th of the price of a real "audiophile" one. And I don't think the quality difference would be noticeable.

Beave

Major Contributor
Any of you know who wrote the AVS article?

MrPeabody

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have to admit, I like the aesthetic of these thick audiophile power cables - if I had a system where power cables are particularly visible I might even buy some... from China for fraction of the cost. Looking at aliexpress they're cheap enough that not only you could buy yourself a cable, but also a second one to take apart in order to make sure it's made properly, and you'd still not approach even 1/10th of the price of a real "audiophile" one. And I don't think the quality difference would be noticeable.

The best power cables are the ones that you've made invisible.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
Indeed it is super stiff.
So is Romex, and its cheaper too. I won't get into cheap 'that's what she said jokes...." :)

Top Bottom