• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AVR vs Minidsp for Zone A/B

evlnchk

Hope this is the right place to ask. I've been doing some research and I've come to a point where some advice is needed.

Basically, I'd like to set up 2 sets of 2.1 system in the same room - one at the TV and another at the desk. The two sets of stereo speakers would share a subwoofer. Somewhere along the chain I'd like to be able to use headphones when they're preferred to speakers. Room correction and headphone EQ are in the plan.

My original plan was to use a Minidsp Flex to hook up to the subwoofer and to a Topping A90 for headphone and as a pre-amp, which is then connected to a speaker amp, which powers the two sets of speakers with the use of a physical A/B switch. Then I'd use Dirac/Minidsp software to apply different room correction/EQ profiles to the 2 sets of speakers as well as to different headphones.

The cost of this set up is enough to buy some pretty nice receivers, which got me to do more research to see if similar things can be achieved with an AVR.

I'm aware that I can use the A/B zone speakers on AVRs to power my two sets of stereo speakers. I'm not sure about the following though:

1) Is the subwoofer active when A zone is off and B zone is on?
2) Can the room correction software that comes with the AVR apply different profiles (stereo) to the two sets of speakers and maybe headphones too?

I've never had a receiver before so any advice will be much appreciated.

Top Bottom