• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AVR Speaker Impedance Selector

scooter

Forum Donor
Greetings!
I've a question regarding modifying default speaker impedance on my AVR, Yamaha RX-V583.
The thing is that US models have selector for 6 and 8 ohms, and I guess almost everybody would use them in 8 ohms position to allow higher voltage supply to an amplifier.
The problem is that my model does not have a selector at all and by default Yamaha has chosen to enable only 6 ohms (maybe to guarantee an amplifier will not be overloaded).
Below is a screenshot from service manual showing "RY226" impedance selector relay:

Impedance Selector Relay.JPG

index.php

Of course I'm not going to do any soldering job there. I just thought, due to the fact that relay function is disabled by software and it is stuck switched to AC_BL low voltage line, what if I remove wires from 5 & 6 pins (AC_BH) of CB222 connector, corresponding to the higher voltage line (I suppose that's 8 ohms position), and connect them instead of 1 & 2 pins?
I don't know exactly what those voltages represent in pink color.
I just want to use all the clean power what this amp has without limitations, it should be up to the user to notice the distortion and attenuate the volume regardless of speakers being used, doesn't it?
Let me also tell you that I haven't opened my receiver yet and I'm not sure if all those 6 wires are present at CB222 conenctor. I just took this from SM and suppose if it was different in other models they should have made a remark (as it is on other sections, like 120 or 230 volts selector).
Any suggestions, thoughts, recommendations - much appreciated!

Last edited:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Modifying your Yamaha RX-V583 may void your home insurance if there is a house fire. That being said there is no screenshot in your post.

OP
S

scooter

Forum Donor
Modifying your Yamaha RX-V583 may void your home insurance if there is a house fire. That being said there is no screenshot in your post.
Thanks, didn't upload properly somehow. I've added now.
Regarding a house fire, I don't think there is going to be any increased risk of it. This may be called a "forced" change of operation mode which is simply disabled by the software (regional function limitation absurd), there is no hardware limitation for it and all protection circuits are still intact.

OP
S

scooter

Forum Donor
I just thought, is there any manual method of flashing a firmware? Any chance that impedance selection function will be activated if different region software is installed?

Top Bottom