• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AVR recommendation - SR8015 or cheaper model and 2 power amps

conqueeftador

Looking to upgrade a Marantz SR7015. At the moment it runs a a gaming/film in an office setup and the preouts feed and old Denon 1911 for a 5.1.2 HT in another room.

The 8015s are on offer at the moment and I was about to pull the plug which led me here to read the reviews which in all honesty I struggle to make sense of other than higher/lower is better. What I'm wondering is whether I would be better off going for a lower model such as a the Denon AVR-3700H and using those preouts with RCA splitters to 2 power amps for each setup and turn them on/off as each is used. There are various very nice units available used. NAD, Rotel, Tag McLaren etc, I was tempted to upgrade the 1911 with one, or downgrade the receiver and get 2.

On the 7015 it has a 2nd preset option where I can use the mic to setup the 2 rooms, that is likely an important option.

OP
C

conqueeftador

Am I right in reading the 3700H and the 8015 now have the same DAC chips?

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Am I right in reading the 3700H and the 8015 now have the same DAC chips?

Probably, but it is hard to know for sure as D+M's customer team responses to different ASR members seem to have been all over the map ranging from "...will not disclose..., to AKM4458, to PCM5102A.....", kind of responses. Based on one member's find using a scope camera, it does seem credible that the PCM5102A have been used for the AVR-X3700H.

The last time someone (member @hda) mentioned the same PCM5102A was used in Marantz, apparently came from Marantz customer support as well, and that does refer to the SR8015. If that is true, then you may as well go with the AVR-X3700H to conserve cash now and then upgrade again if and when D+M go back to a better DAC chip in their 2023 models.

SuicideSquid

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Out of curiosity, what are you trying to gain by going from the SR7015 to the SR8015?

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
HDMI 2.1 in what respect? 8k or eARC or ?

OP
C

conqueeftador

Probably, but it is hard to know for sure as D+M's customer team responses to different ASR members seem to have been all over the map ranging from "...will not disclose..., to AKM4458, to PCM5102A.....", kind of responses. Based on one member's find using a scope camera, it does seem credible that the PCM5102A have been used for the AVR-X3700H.

The last time someone (member @hda) mentioned the same PCM5102A was used in Marantz, apparently came from Marantz customer support as well, and that does refer to the SR8015. If that is true, then you may as well go with the AVR-X3700H to conserve cash now and then upgrade again if and when D+M go back to a better DAC chip in their 2023 models.

UK D+M tech confirmed they're using the PCM5102A in most

Top Bottom