• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AVR Decisions - Anthem, Arcam, Denon, Yamaha...?

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

Newman

Major Contributor
Thanks again @Chrispy. Yes, the mature technology argument is a good one and one I can appreciate.

Although it’s an unlikely marketing strategy compared to new/spin/repeat.

Newman

Major Contributor

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Nevermind, your back to ballbusting again.
Ignore.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for that it’s very helpful. I had not seen it before.

I don’t know why I’m having trouble finding these. Hopefully the more recent ones will come to light.

The company website is discouraging: it gives the impression that they have moved on to other products and barely mention the room correction product. It’s just a standard “We offer industry solutions, call us” website, with a heavy home page focus on voice recognition.

Maybe I’ll find more on the Denon and Marantz sites.

They are hard to find since Audyssey moved on to something else and removed many related articles from their website. It looks like they have left the responsibilities to D+M for the past few years.

There are still plenty of relevant information out there but scattered among sites such as Facebook, twitter etc.. AskAudyssey is still active though and will typically answer questions within a few days. So if you have specific questions, even somewhat technical ones such as "why did Audyssey use FIR instead of IIR filters?" or "why should I run it for all 8 positions?" If you asked questions specific to Denon or Marantz, they would likely refer you to D+M's customer support.

https://audyssey.zendesk.com/hc/en-us

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks again @Chrispy. Yes, the mature technology argument is a good one and one I can appreciate.

Although it’s an unlikely marketing strategy compared to new/spin/repeat.

Depends what you think sells better I suppose....think like many the shift to portable/automobile is more lucrative. Just because some audiophiles just discovered this sort of stuff doesn't mean a lot....I think overall we're somewhat a niche market.

Newman

Major Contributor
Sure, and Dirac see it the same way: “Dirac specializes in digital sound optimization solutions. Whether you’re listening to music in your car, relaxing with headphones at home or using your mobile device as a makeshift boombox, audio quality can make or break the experience.

But they seem to be bringing the room solutions along for the ride. You could say Audy are, too, since they have a small paragraph on room correction at the very bottom of their list of services. But with Dirac the room solutions seem to be active and current, not a footnote.

Hope I’m wrong. :)

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Sure, and Dirac see it the same way: “Dirac specializes in digital sound optimization solutions. Whether you’re listening to music in your car, relaxing with headphones at home or using your mobile device as a makeshift boombox, audio quality can make or break the experience.

But they seem to be bringing the room solutions along for the ride. You could say Audy are, too, since they have a small paragraph on room correction at the very bottom of their list of services. But with Dirac the room solutions seem to be active and current, not a footnote.

Hope I’m wrong. :)

I think it is very difficult to be highly profitable in the REQ business if one focusses on HT and two channel systems. My prediction is that Dirac would eventually follow Audyssey's path, that is, diverse to something more profitable.. If you frequent many audio forums, you would probably agree that very few two channel stereo music enthusiasts have bought in to the auto REQ thing. Most seem to be stuck in believing amps (just one example) are more important for the so called "sound quality", and that for any so called "serious listening", all tone controls should be defeated, let alone EQ of any sort! And if those people also have HT systems, many would stick to direct or pure direct mode anyway, though they may try the EQ thing now and then for some excitement and then would likely settle back to direct mode, their default comfortable zone.

For the average home HT users, most of them are not going to be that picky, many would just go through the auto set up process that recent models kind of force them to. So they just go through the motion and that's it. I wonder how many would bother to tweak with their PCs/Apps, let alone using REW to find out what might have been done to the "sound" on paper.

Imo, D+M is smart sticking with Audyssey and by doing so, they likely are paying much less licensing fees than if they had switched to Dirac. They know who the vast majority of their customers are, and I bet that customer base is much larger than Dirac or AARC equipped AVRs/AVPs, AARC is really only used in Anthem's.;)

Newman

Major Contributor
Fully agree. Good post. Well written.

Top Bottom