• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AVR Decisions - Anthem, Arcam, Denon, Yamaha...?

rccarguy

Str series does.
Probably have to wait for avm70. Lacking auro3d, hdmi 2.1

Ucftechguru

Forum Donor
Lots of negative comments about “mass market“ Denon gear and positive comments about NAD on the internet. We see here that actual science shows that Denon is actually pretty respectable and NAD doesn’t do very well.

Audyssey XT32 did multiple subwoofers before Dirac. It gets a bad reputation because the default curve has a 3 kHz dip and most people don’t like a flat audio target either. Additionally, before the app came out and before aftermarket software was made available, it was hard to tune. However, bias against Denon and Onkyo (when they used audyssey) probably hurts the reputation.

Trinnov is better. I had that on the Sherwood R972. But the HDMI board on that unit will fail. Trinnov in the 4K era is cost prohibitive.

The big unknown is if something like the Denon X8500H will outperform the X3600H or if the added amps and channels results in an overall decrease in performance. Denon HDMI CEC tends to be very reliable.

NAD T778 is unknown. The advertised spec is Improved from the poor testing NAD receivers here.

Anthem STR generation AVRs are also due to be released.

I have the Sherwood R972 and love it. Trinnov has been amazing room correction for my room. It would be an interesting choice for the OP. I’d be willing to ship it to the OP. If you like it, you can buy it from me. It is older tech so it doesn’t switch 4k or have Atmos or new tech like that but it does have Trinnov room correcriin and strong, good sounding amps.

OP
O

Old Hi-Fi Guy

Forum Donor
I have the Sherwood R972 and love it. Trinnov has been amazing room correction for my room. It would be an interesting choice for the OP. I’d be willing to ship it to the OP. If you like it, you can buy it from me. It is older tech so it doesn’t switch 4k or have Atmos or new tech like that but it does have Trinnov room correcriin and strong, good sounding amps.

That's remarkably generous and trusting of you. Having started down this 4k up-grade trail, I think it makes sense to stick with contemporary technology. Even then it's hard enough to get things to work together. Thank you anyway.

I'm leaning in favour of the Anthem MRX720, although there are several things that are bugging me. The first is the lack of DSD decoding. I can probably live with this, but I'd be quite pissed if Anthem offers it on the replacement model (the magical world of the Internet has failed to enlighten me about the anticipated new models). The second thing is the absence of multi-channel analogue inputs. I realise that this is the way the world, but it means that your AVR eventually becomes worthless. At least an AVR with multi-channel inputs can retain some value (perhaps quite significant value) as a multi-channel amplifier once its audio and video processing have become obsolete. These inputs also provide a lifeline for those of us with vintage SACD players.

I suppose my "perfect" receiver would have a handful of HDMI 2 ports (perhaps 2.1) and one with full audio return, a few USB, SPDIF, and TOSLINK inputs, multi-channel analogue inputs (6 channels), a few stereo analogue inputs, some kind of network connection, seven channels of absolutely top quality sound, a usable smartphone/tablet app for when the remote control fails, a proper volume control knob on the front, a set-up menu that's easy to use, room correction that works and is easy to use, a paper manual that's comprehensible, easy access to my FLAC files, a level of video and audio processing (including SACD) that's appropriate for my living room and a 4k UHD TV (if I had a dedicated home theatre, I'd buy more sophisticated gear), no composite, S-video, or component video inputs, no Zone 2, no pre-outs, and no streaming services. Oh, and a ten-year, no-quibble warranty. Surely that's not asking too much?

OP
O

Old Hi-Fi Guy

Forum Donor
Oh, and it looks like I've just sold my Bryston BDA-1 DAC and another Arcam AVR that I've been using to drive a pair of active speakers via a miniDSP. So now I'm committed...

rccarguy

Anthem products don't lack all the bells and whistles of the mainstream brands.

There's the Yamaha av pre however it has high thd on left and right, so I'd wait until next version of it.

Also ypao doesn't eq sub that much if at all.so you would need antimode or similar.

Usb dac mode is probably not that common,

Mocs123

Forum Donor
I think Yamaha replacement models are immanent. There are rumors of new Anthem models too (even some photo's) but of course new models have been rumored for some time.

North_Sky

Major Contributor

rccarguy

The lexicon is not a true lexicon it's a rebadged arcam. Considering how bad arcams are

Logic 7 on that model only works on 2 channel.

North_Sky

Major Contributor
Oh, I didn't know that. That's no progress, that's regress (with less logic channels).
But then, in the old Logic7 preamps and AV receivers we didn't have Dirac Live Room EQ Correction. ...HDMI connectors? ...Or Video composites with S-VHS?

I'm amazed today to see still ﹰComponent and Composite Video connectors in the rear of the units they make. Those old VCR machines and DVD players and Laser Disc players they are no match to Oppo and Streaming Music & Movie players in 4K Dolby Vision Dolby Atmos and 8K OLED TVs and front projectors.

You can get a very affordable Denon or Yamaha AV receivers, or Pioneer...for peanuts with enough features and juice and all the wizz bang desired for a bang song fraction of a stimulus. Yamaha have all the DSP logic recreation of real world halls with enough parameters and parametric EQuing to propel you anywhere you want.

Trinnov? I think we should have it in affordable receivers...in the $1,000 range.

I'm probably just a dreamer in a pandemic period to keep us safe @ home for this new decade ... or, there are still virgin mountains to climb and new wines to taste.

Last edited:

North_Sky

Major Contributor
It depends ... of the listener's own personal "sound" taste, his room, setup, acoustics, experience, music recordings. When it comes to DSP acoustical space recreations in the world Yamaha is one of the top leaders. Lexicon is another.

I think, IMO, YMMV, all that jazz ...

20200520_120347.jpg

rccarguy

Logic 7, pro logic IIx music, anthem music logic is not the same as dsp echo complete mess concert hall with reverb and echo all over the shop.

North_Sky

Major Contributor
Logic 7, pro logic IIx music, anthem music logic is not the same as dsp echo complete mess concert hall with reverb and echo all over the shop.

Yeah, but you can manually adjust the reverb for each music recording, depending.
It requires judicious mastering of the parameters...controls.

I agree they are not the same. No music is the same, no two rooms are the same, no two set of ears are the same, no two audiophiles are the same, no two room EQ Correction systems are the same, no two set of measurements are exactly the same in time and in space.

rccarguy

No they're laughably awful. Wish could delete them from firmware so when you cycle modes they aren't there.

ehabheikal

I'm in the same problem. Wanting to replace my 11 old AVR, but can't decide which one to pick...

My "problem" is, that I have actually a Harman AVR 760 (7550HD in US) and love the sound signature.
Compared it with a Denon and Yamaha which were booth newer, but no chance. My Harman + Logic7 just sounds still better for me.

So I'm trying to find an AVR with a sound signature similar to my Harman just with actual technology like HDMI 2.0 etc...

My preference lends at the moment to a Lexicon RV-6/RV-9, but it would be great if someone has any experience with replacing a Harman AVR;)
There are units that will extract the audio from hdmi 2.0a or even 2.0b and give you 5.1 or 7.1 optical that you can add to your existing avr, some even come with remote to switch multiple hdmi connections. That way you do not need to buy a new avr if you love the sound signature of yours.

North_Sky

Major Contributor
Or, get a new AVR with Dirac Live or ARC or Audyssey XT32, and Dolby Atmos, DTS-X and Auro 3D and use it in the family theater room, and keep the stereo receiver with Logic7 for the audiophile music listening room.

If only one room use the multichannel in jacks, or like mentioned just above one of the HDMI input. They have adaptors too.

* All the AVR brands mentioned in the thread's title are valid, including Marantz, Pioneer Elite, NAD.

https://www.accessories4less.com/ma...9.2-ch-x-125-watts-a/v-receiver-w/heos/1.html

GD Fan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
No they're laughably awful. Wish could delete them from firmware so when you cycle modes they aren't there.
Actually you can remove them from showing as options. Just go in to the settings menu on the TV screen and uncheck the ones you dislike. I've done that with almost all of them.

Top Bottom