• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AVR/AMP for Kef R3

chestera

I'm planning on setting up a 3.1 system using a Kef R3s, R2c, and a Rythmik sub. I'm trying to decide right now on an AVR or AVR + Stereo AMP for better music quality. Does anyone have any suggestions under $1500?

I was eyeing a few options like the Denon AVR x3700h (refurb) for just an AVR, or do something cheaper like a Marantz NR1711 ($750 refurb) + some type of stereo amp using HT bypass.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Go for the X3700. The X3700 measures great (ca 90dB SINAD using the built in amp or about 100dB using only the preamp which does not affect any music reproduction audibly - see this forum on audiability of distortions and noise) and has XT32 room correction. Plus a ton of convenience features

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Agree w the 3700 recommendation; I'd put forth the 4700 if you can squeeze it because it'll give you access to Auro should you choose to add speakers down the line. Crossed over at 80Hz for your sub, it will almost certainly get loud enough . R2c can beat up an AVR amp, though. How far will you be sitting?

Also can add Audyssey XT which looks promising, although licensing restrictions are so draconian that I probably won't buy it on principle alone.

Top Bottom