• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AVC-X4700H do i need external amp to do 7.1.4 (or 7.2.4)?

404_500

Hi I am completely new to this and very confused. I am ttrying to create a 7.1.4 or 7.2.4 setup and was looking at the AVC-X4700H. But in few reviews i see people mention they need an external amp to be able to do 7.1.4. Why? Shouldn't this be natively supported without an amp since it has 9.2 total channels? Also is hdmi 2.1 really important? I don't game.

Vincentponcet

Forum Donor
Hi I am completely new to this and very confused. I am ttrying to create a 7.1.4 or 7.2.4 setup and was looking at the AVC-X4700H. But in few reviews i see people mention they need an external amp to be able to do 7.1.4. Why? Shouldn't this be natively supported without an amp since it has 9.2 total channels? Also is hdmi 2.1 really important? I don't game.
It has preamp out for 11.2 but only 9 amps.
For 7.2.4, you need 11 amps (7+4)

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The .2 refers to the subwoofer preamp outputs, so 9.2 means it has two subwoofer preamp outputs that can be used to power "active" subwoofers that have their own power amplifiers. Those subwoofer preamp outputs, normally referred to as subouts are not for powering the other speakers that require power amplifiers.

OP

404_500

It has preamp out for 11.2 but only 9 amps.
For 7.2.4, you need 11 amps (7+4)
So how do I connect speakers? I see it has connections for 11 speakers in the back and also pre amp ones. So should I put 9 speakers in the bottom and 2 on the top pre-amp section and run them to an amp? If so, what's the point of providing 11 speaker outs? Sorry if it is very basic question but whats the point of 11 speaker connection if it does not have power to run all 11?

I want in my setup 2 front, 1 center, 2 surround, 2 surround back, 2 atmos front and 2 atmos back with 1 powered sub. So how should I connect them all ? Which speakers goes to speaker section and which should go to pre-amp?

OP

404_500

The .2 refers to the subwoofer preamp outputs, so 9.2 means it has two subwoofer preamp outputs that can be used to power "active" subwoofers that have their own power amplifiers. Those subwoofer preamp outputs, normally referred to as subouts are not for powering the other speakers that require power amplifiers.
I am posting same reply as to other one -
So how do I connect speakers? I see it has connections for 11 speakers in the back and also pre amp ones. So should I put 9 speakers in the bottom and 2 on the top pre-amp section and run them to an amp? If so, what's the point of providing 11 speaker outs? Sorry if it is very basic question but whats the point of 11 speaker connection if it does not have power to run all 11?

I want in my setup 2 front, 1 center, 2 surround, 2 surround back, 2 atmos front and 2 atmos back with 1 powered sub. So how should I connect them all ? Which speakers goes to speaker section and which should go to pre-amp?

I dont need 2 sub woofers but if I can if I have the ability to. But my main confusion is speakers as stated above.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I am posting same reply as to other one -

I dont need 2 sub woofers but if I can if I have the ability to. But my main confusion is speakers as stated above.

Download the manual, it should have the connection diagrams.

More speaker binding posts are usually provided for convinence, so if you want to try different configurations, you can do quickly.

Vincentponcet

Forum Donor

I would add a 2 channels front amp or even a three channels, because they consume more power than the others. Those connected on the preamp out.
In the AVR menu, you set which channels are used as amp or preamp.

Having 11 amp output when having only 9 amps is made to be able to switch between speaker configurations, like multi zones, or even the special auro3D or DTS X speaker configurations.

Top Bottom