• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AVC-X3800H vs AVC-X4700H

Sister_Ray

Hi all,

So Denon upgraded its AV line up and now as usual the new models are pricey and the old ones are discounted. And thus I find myself in a position where the new AVC-X3800H is sold for €1699,- and the old AVC-X4700H, which in many ways could be considered a step up, would actually cost me €300 less: €1399,-.

I am tempted to go for the 4700 but what's holding me back is the Dirac live option that the 3800 offers. I think the 4700 already includes the Audyssey MultEQ XT32, but I have no idea how it compares to Dirac live, so as someone without any prior experience in room correction, I'm curious to hear what you all think is the best choice here.

Thanks,
Teun

OP
S

Sister_Ray

There are quite a few threads on the room correction question. If that's all you want to know, I'd respectfully request that you use the search function and not create another thread on the topic.
My question is not specifically aimed at room correction (though it definitely should be taken into account) , but the general comparison of these 2 models and what would be the best choice at these price points.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Even without Dirac the X3800 could be interesting to you: if you need the better HDMI handling, if you need/want more subwoofers.

Also note that the Dirac upgrade will probably be another 200 to 300 €$£.

OP
S

Sister_Ray

I am looking at a setup with a single subwoofer. What is better about the HDMI handling in the 3800?

The setup will be in a medium sized home, will the extra power of the X4700H be a big advantage? I do not listen at ear splitting levels so I figured that the lower power of the 3800 is not really an issue for me?

amper42

Major Contributor
If you can get a slightly used Denon 4700 with the AKM chipset for 40% less than the 3800 I would suggest it. The 4700 is a nice unit and Audyssey MultEQ XT32 does the job quite well. Dirac on Denon won't be available for another 10 months, will cost considerably more and may not be an audible upgrade over Audyssey MultEQ XT32.

OP
S

Sister_Ray

The AKM chipset...I did not even know about this issue, thank you for bringing it to my attention.

dlaloum

Major Contributor
Hi all,

So Denon upgraded its AV line up and now as usual the new models are pricey and the old ones are discounted. And thus I find myself in a position where the new AVC-X3800H is sold for €1699,- and the old AVC-X4700H, which in many ways could be considered a step up, would actually cost me €300 less: €1399,-.

I am tempted to go for the 4700 but what's holding me back is the Dirac live option that the 3800 offers. I think the 4700 already includes the Audyssey MultEQ XT32, but I have no idea how it compares to Dirac live, so as someone without any prior experience in room correction, I'm curious to hear what you all think is the best choice here.

Thanks,
Teun
The main feature the new X3800 brings (over the old X3700) is that it includes Auro3D - Dirac is arguably an improvement over Audyssey, but a marginal one - and will cost an additional US$300.

THe X4700 already has Auro3D, so feature wise it is mostly a wash - there could be some advantage to the new series for multiple subwoofer setups - but only once they release Dirac DLBC - not due until sometime in 2024 (!) - and it will cost US$800 additional.

The X4700 sounds like a bargain to me!

If you are interested in Dirac, and not concerned about Auro3D or multiple subwoofers, then the Onkyo RZ50, Pionee LX505 and Integra DRX 5.4 are worth a look... or perhaps even the NR7100, DRX3.4, LX305 (the latter have less power, and are suitable only for speakers above 6ohm impedance).

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi all,

Thanks,
Teun
Unless you are a die hard Dirac fan and need reliable HDMI 2.1 (many don’t unless they use PS5 with 4K, 120Hz), then go for the 4700. Especially as we haven’t seen yet the Dirac implementation and at this point it just a promise with a shaky timeline of implementation.

dlaloum

Major Contributor
Where can you find x4700h for 1399? I am having the same question and leaning toward x3800h due to hdmi 2.1 ports, but 1399 would be a very attractive

For the sake of discussion, the only advantage x4700h has is slightly higher power which does not really matter. Some might consider front hdmi port to be a convenience as well. x3800h has much better hdmi 2.1 count, 4 sub management and longevity down the road (it should get 2 more years of support).

Of course dirac support will matter to some but that is not available yet and the cost will be significant
From past experience with other AVR's the advantage of going up a notch is often not more power, but more current - with my relatively innefficient 86db spl/wm speakers - I calculate that I run at 16W peak for 95db peaks on 75dp average levels - so the "power level" isn't a big deal...

But a 100W AVR, sounds terrible through my speakers which drop to 1.6ohm - where an external 135W power amp (Quad 606) sounds good... pure current capacity is making the difference - and this is not important if you are running true 8 ohm speakers (in which current demands will be moderate) - but if running 4ohm or lower speakers.. then it makes all the difference.

The X4x00's have a larger transformer and bigger capacitors - that means more current.... they will handle difficult speakers with greater ease... will it be enough? Depends on the speaker - AVR's just don't have the sort of current that a beefy external amp can provide. Some power supply is busy running the DAC, DSP, Preamp, and multiple channels - in an external amp, you commonly have the same size power supply providing for only 2 channels (or a single one for a monoblock).

This from my perspective is the main justification for going to something like the X6700... it may obviate the need for external amps for people like me.

amper42

Major Contributor
I have a Denon 4700 with the AKM chipset for sale. Denon sent it to me as a replacement for a previous unit. Unfortunately, it took so long to get the replacement I had already bought another 4700. So I have this second 4700 that I tested each channel but never used. I'm not willing to ship it as the boxes are fragile but for local pickup in Phoenix area it can be purchased for $1000. It's a nice deal for someone who wants the AKM DAC and it compares well to the 3800 while a lot less expensive and offers a little more power.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
In my opinion the power gain from the Denon 3000 to 6000 series is not meaningful. The 8500, A110 would make an incremental gain. To make a real difference, go with a power amp rated at least 200/300 W 8/4 ohms.

As to current capability, for the 3000 and higher series, more rated power implies higher current capability simply because when used within the amp's rated power output, current is governed by the same Ohm's law and power formula that are applicable to all of them.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My question is not specifically aimed at room correction (though it definitely should be taken into account) , but the general comparison of these 2 models and what would be the best choice at these price points.
The 4700 will be nicer to use overall due to the 2-line front display, much better remote, and front HDMI port.

The 2022 models just add Dirac Live upgradeability and 4 sub outputs vs 2.

OP
S

Sister_Ray

Where can you find x4700h for 1399? I am having the same question and leaning toward x3800h due to hdmi 2.1 ports, but 1399 would be a very attractive

For the sake of discussion, the only advantage x4700h has is slightly higher power which does not really matter. Some might consider front hdmi port to be a convenience as well. x3800h has much better hdmi 2.1 count, 4 sub management and longevity down the road (it should get 2 more years of support).

Of course dirac support will matter to some but that is not available yet and the cost will be significant
I can get it for that price at a Dutch hifi shop (hifiklubben.nl), but they only ship to Netherlands or Belgium.

just1n

Forum Donor
The 4700 refurb right now is on a big discount at Denon. I’m considering returning my 3800 for it because I can use that money elsewhere in my system.

OP
S

Sister_Ray

For our Dutch & Belgian members, the price for the AVC-X4700H Silver dropped another €100 to €1299. Effectively HALF the price of the AVC-X4800H at €2599.

(It should be duly noted that the SRP of the 4800 of €2599 is completely bonkers given that the average best online price for the 4700 has been floating around €1500 +/- 150 for the last 2 years.)
1667171034647.png

Last edited:

delta76

Major Contributor
Hifiklubben.nl even lowered the x4700h price to 1248 eur. I decided to try to contact them and offer to send them a shipping label so they can send to my address. They eventually contacted Hifiklubben branch in my country and they will make one-time special offer for me. I don't know the price just yet, but that's great customer service. You are not in Belgium/Netherlands can probably try :)

Top Bottom