• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AV Reciever and Stereo amp for one pair of Speakers

ratonwton

I have only one pair of speaker that I want to use with a stereo amp and as front channels on an av reciever. The stereo amp has two inputs (XLR/RAC), and the AV reciever only has bare wire outputs. My question is, Can I connect the outputs of the front channels of the AV reciever to the RCA input of the stereo amp using a cable like this?:

(changing the banana plugs by pins)

Is there any issue with that related with the power of the signal delivered to the stereo amp?. My other choice is conect both amps to a speaker switcher like this:

But this is an expensive choice. Which is the better solution for that? I hope you can help me to figure it out. Thanks!

AudiOhm

Why not tell us the make/models of the equipment in question.

Do not connect the speaker outputs to the RCA input connections...

Ohms

raindance

Major Contributor
This sounds like a really bad idea. If the receiver does not have preamp outputs, then the simple answer is no, you cannot use an external amplifier. What are you hoping to gain anyway?

OP
R

ratonwton

Why not tell us the make/models of the equipment in question.

Do not connect the speaker outputs to the RCA input connections...

Ohms
Thanks for your answer. The AV reciever is a DENON AVR-X500 (6-8 ohms) and the stereo amp is SMSL AO200. Then the speaker switcher is the only option?

raindance

Major Contributor
Still don't know why you would want to do this. Tell us what you are hoping to achieve?

OP
R

ratonwton

Still don't know why you would want to do this. Tell us what you are hoping to achieve?
I want to use one pair of speaker as front channels for the AV Reciver (for movies) and for listen music in the stereo amp, with a permanent connection, i.e without connecting and disconnecting every time that I want to change from music to movies.

DMill

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I want to use one pair of speaker as front channels for the AV Reciver (for movies) and for listen music in the stereo amp, with a permanent connection, i.e without connecting and disconnecting every time that I want to change from music to movies.
That's what I thought. Do you think the SMSL is much better sounding than the Denon? Here's a YouTuber with a similar problem. I CANNOT vouch for this guy or his reco, but I watched most of the video and it sounds right to me unless I'm missing something.

Last edited:
OP
R

ratonwton

That's what I thought. Do you think the SMSL is much better sounding than the Denon?
Yes, the SMSL sound better, the DENON is an old entry level model, I fell that they don't have enough power to drive the speakers properly (Diamond 12.2), but I can stand that for movies, it is not the main use of my speakers.

raindance

Major Contributor
I'd suggest being careful with speaker selectors as you'd be using it backwards essentially, they often have impedance matching resistors, and the switches are usually make before break, which may not be good for your amps.

DMill

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Yes, the SMSL sound better, the DENON is an old entry level model, I fell that they don't have enough power to drive the speakers properly (Diamond 12.2), but I can stand that for movies, it is not the main use of my speakers.
Welcome btw. Personally, I'd probably save the money and put it toward another AV Receiver with Pre-Outs. And I apologize up front for that answer. I know how annoying it is when someone says, "Just spend a bunch of money on something else." The only reason I say it is that I have a bunch of gadgets in my basement I've accumulated over the years like splitters, cords, DAC, a preamp or two and maybe even a switcher that I bought to improve a piece of gear that was outdated or I wasn't really happy with. But I understand your situation and if you just need to make it work for now.

OP
R

ratonwton

Welcome btw. Personally, I'd probably save the money and put it toward another AV Receiver with Pre-Outs. And I apologize up front for that answer. I know how annoying it is when someone says, "Just spend a bunch of money on something else." The only reason I say it is that I have a bunch of gadgets in my basement I've accumulated over the years like splitters, cords, DAC, a preamp or two and maybe even a switcher that I bought to improve a piece of gear that was outdated or I wasn't really happy with. But I understand your situation and if you just need to make it work for now.
Indeed, I would like to do that in the future, I have been checking that option also here in the forum. Canton Smart Connect 5.1 is one of the options, or I just will go for a used av reciever with pre outs for every channels. But, I want a chaper and fast solution meanwhile. Thanks!

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
TO sum up. Bad idea. That notion idea that amps sound vastly different is mostly a fairy tale concocted by the HEA (High-End Audio) industry.
Use the Denon AVR with the speakers. Stay here at ASR, learn how to measure, how to choose the right speakers for your application, how to correct them and integrate them to/in your room. Learn how to add subwoofers to the speakers and... prepare yourself to enjoy music in ways you couldn't think possible and at a price too low to true...

Peace.

Top Bottom