• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AV receiver vs stereo integrated amps

Dimitrov

What is the general opinion around these parts regarding AV receivers vs stereo integrated amps?

I know the audiophile opinion is that AV receivers are no good for stereo and that a dedicated stereo amp offers "veils and veils" of superior sound quality, but are there any blind tests of stereo amps vs AV receivers?

OP
D

Dimitrov

Disclaimer : I own an AV receiver Marantz SR-6013. :) I just keep reading on several forums that AV receivers suck for music but I have never understood that viewpoint.

If you disable all the DSP processing surely the AVR is just a bare-bones integrated amp? Or am I missing something here?

Willem

Major Contributor
They have alot of digiotal processing going on, and this usuaally shows in less than perfect performance. Also, they do not necessarily have a beefy enough power supply. However, in reality all this may not be audible, even if it shows in measurements. The good news is of course that they are very versatile, and come with some kind of dsp room eq.

b1daly

Forum Donor
They sound “good enough “ for most applications IMO. They have some nice features too.

I use them to run biamped speakers. I can do the crossover in my computer and run HDMI out to access the amps.

Many older models also have multi channel analog inputs which can be used similarly if you have a multi channel analog out for your filter.

Run everything off the single volume

Built in crossover for a sub

They have built in DA converters.

Remote control

I’m running one for my desktop speakers that someone gave me for free on CL. It’s a low end Yamaha but sounds fine to me.

These devices are incredible.

Downsides:
Big
Ugly
Hot
Hard to fix
Confusing interfaces

Kvalsvoll

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Audio Company
In the audio world, established beliefs do not always correlate well with reality.

I did an article on this a year back:
https://www.kvalsvoll.com/blog/2018/07/22/av-processor-receiver-as-pre-processor/

Unfortunately only parts of the article was translated from Norwegian to English, but you get the point, and the pictures and graphs can be understood. For the very curious readers willing to put in the effort, there is google translate.

The amplifier test provides sound samples (link in article) so you can do your own blind test.

BillG

Major Contributor
What is the general opinion around these parts regarding AV receivers vs stereo integrated amps?

It depends upon the application: if I needed an AV, I'd purchase the best performing one I could find based upon that, its features, and cost. However, I don't at moment, and purchased an integrated instead - again based upon performance, features, and cost.

By the way, I'm not an audiophile, and have never referred to myself such even though I may fit the profile. So, I probably don't harbor the same preconceptions and biases as that group - having a science and engineering background helps tremendously with that. I'm a melophile who just happens to put transparency first... :p

levimax

Major Contributor
My experience is AV receivers sound fine, are flexible, and a great value. I have given up on them because they are quite complicated and don't last very long before something goes wrong and at that point they are not practical to repair. If you don't mind disposable they are fine. Stereo integrated amps are simpler and more reliable but still often impossible to repair. I ended up going vintage and DIY because of reliability and repairabilty.... And of course fun

Top Bottom