• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AV Receiver processing clocking

aaddas

How to know which av receiver or av processor better than other?
In PC intel I7 better than I5 but in AV Receiver no one clearfield what hardware they used in it!!!
Which chip?

twsecrest

Addicted to Fun and Learning
In PC intel I7 better than I5 but in AV Receiver no one clearfield what hardware they used in it!!!
Which chip?
I'm going to make a guess that whatever "chips" (DSP?) are used in a modern A/V receiver, are a more basic processing unit, than a typical Intel or AMD computer CPU (best guess).

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Which chip?
Look at Amir’s reviews. It measures the whole AV including the DAC chip and the whole performance is what counts because some manufacturers do a better integration of a less performing chip than others with a better performing chip.

jsilvela

Even on PC's, the clock rate does not tell the whole story. Memory, cache access etc are very important.

Anyhow, I have a low-end AVR, and from what I see these days, a large quality differentiator is the availability of EQ software versions like Audyssey XT32 or Dirac with bass management ... aside from having enough wattage/channels for your setup...

chelgrian

Which chip?
Many AVRs use one or more of

At least in AVRs audio processing is a parallel problem, if one DSP is not sufficient you just put another one in.

The PC world is weird Intel have managed to engineer a situation where people obsess about processors to the point where they buy things they don't need and might be crippled by the rest of the system being inadequately specified.

In the embedded world designers specify exactly as much hardware as they need to perform the job at hand.

Top Bottom