• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Aux In for my AVR Beginner Question(connected an external DAC)

Trdat

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I got a Denon 1912 AVR for my TV set up in which I use the Dolby for upmixing stereo for television broadcasts. Anyway, I attempted to connect my micro speakers to the Zone 2(amp assign) which is the back surround channels which are used for a zone 2 application when you have the spare channels.

To be honest for some reason it didnt work but the music came from the main speakers which made me realise that I have just connected an external DAC to the amplifier and a good one to. Does that bypass the internal DAC? I think if the Zone 2 worked it probably does bypass the internal DAC cause its very clear in the manual that you can't use a digital source and you need a analogue source for Zone 2 to work. But if I use the main zone to drive the main speakers(left and right) and use the different coding options such as Dolby etc, would that mean the internal DAC is still being used?

Anyway, I am just curious cause I can get an upgrade if its not doing another conversion inside with its internal DAC.

OP
Trdat

Trdat

Forum Donor
I got a Denon 1912 AVR for my TV set up in which I use the Dolby for upmixing stereo for television broadcasts. Anyway, I attempted to connect my micro speakers to the Zone 2(amp assign) which is the back surround channels which are used for a zone 2 application when you have the spare channels.

To be honest for some reason it didnt work but the music came from the main speakers which made me realise that I have just connected an external DAC to the amplifier and a good one to. Does that bypass the internal DAC? I think if the Zone 2 worked it probably does bypass the internal DAC cause its very clear in the manual that you can't use a digital source and you need a analogue source for Zone 2 to work. But if I use the main zone to drive the main speakers(left and right) and use the different coding options such as Dolby etc, would that mean the internal DAC is still being used?

Anyway, I am just curious cause I can get an upgrade if its not doing another conversion inside with its internal DAC.

Okay so the Zone 2 worked and I had no control over any of the options it was just direct so I am presuming it does bypass the internal DAC. But I can set the amp assign to "normal" which allows me to play the main speakers and I do have options such as dolby etc etc so would this be performing another conversion inside or still bypasses the internal DAC?

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
If it is "processing" the analog signal from the DAC, I would presume an ADC->Bit Juggling->AVR DAC process occurs in the AVR.

Hmm...

Last edited:
OP
Trdat

Trdat

Forum Donor
If it is "processing" the analog signal from the DAC, I would presume an ADC->Bit Juggling->AVR DAC process occurs in the AVR. ]

I would presume so, thanks for clarifying. If I can use many of the encoding options then there must be some type of conversion happening inside. So definitely no point in using an external DAC.

But, using zone 2 which is in direct mode you loose control of everything so I am hazarding a guess that its not using the internal DAC, which in essence means I have a "main in" not sure if its exactly the same but I can use my DAC with the AVR's amplifier.

Top Bottom